🐈
» Groups » Customer Service & Admin Support Professionals » Forum » Re: Administrative Assistant/Data Entry - ver...
Page options
jkenk
Community Member

Administrative Assistant/Data Entry - very suspicious

I work from home and don't take me wrong there is great people out there but I have been approach by an individu under upwork/employer which it raise huge issue.

They pass me the interview which I pass. Then send me a letter term and agreemeent but as I did my due diligence this agreement is through google which is call "offer letter and employment agreement" which you can add whatever the information you want. Their agreement was the same except they add the logo of the company, my name and the company name through the agreement. The start date was wrong at the first place. Beside from what you think you apply they give you a higher position which in my vocabulary can not be possible.

Then like other review I have seen - they will test you for a week by given you task that is been assigned through a deadline. It's not a problem as I can do any task and always on time...My problem is

Asking me also a bank info with my username and password (no way...) Pushing me to ask me if I have a debit card on hand over and over...

Driver license and security #

That they would pay you this week and you need to send the money back to the Team leader and you would be able to keep a portion and over and over send and exchange the mooney which from what they are doing is call money laundering.

At this point I block and report them. Because who ever they are.. one of the person on facebook put herself unemployed.. funny when you think her title under the company is account manager. They contact you through google hangout and they even don't have no picture. I also call and report this to the company itself which I doubt that it's the way they do this process.

I am a genuine person who cares very much but I hate when these type of people will abuse our kindness to perform an illegal activities when We try so hard to get through this day by day.

I am not perfect but one thing is always ask question, always do your due diligence and never never give your bank account information. Be careful before you click a link and do some research.

I mean most of us work from home but good lord...if we don't get togehter as a team - and support each other.. these bads mind will just get to you so bad.

I hope everyone has a great week.. Kindly

Julie

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Julie and Jamila,

Please stop communicating with this client, take screenshots of your conversation and report the client directly to Customer Support as soon as possible. Never send copies of your ID's or share your SSN, bank account details, email and account login information, or any other sensitive personal information with other users.

You should only receive payments through Upwork, as paying, receiving payment and requesting/accepting to be paid outside Upwork is against our ToS and carries a penalty for all parties involved.

Julie, I'm not sure if that's the same job you mentioned, but I see you've already started working on at least on one job that isn't yet awarded to you. Make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork, use Upwork Protection Programs and only accept to get paid through the platform. You can find more details here.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and in our Freelancer Guide. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
greenjamila
Community Member

I have this supposed client contacting me about a job as well and I am very skeptical that its a scam

Yes it is a scam and her name is **Edited for Community Guidelines** which you can find her under facebook. A woman who is unemployed and get her way around...

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Julie and Jamila,

Please stop communicating with this client, take screenshots of your conversation and report the client directly to Customer Support as soon as possible. Never send copies of your ID's or share your SSN, bank account details, email and account login information, or any other sensitive personal information with other users.

You should only receive payments through Upwork, as paying, receiving payment and requesting/accepting to be paid outside Upwork is against our ToS and carries a penalty for all parties involved.

Julie, I'm not sure if that's the same job you mentioned, but I see you've already started working on at least on one job that isn't yet awarded to you. Make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork, use Upwork Protection Programs and only accept to get paid through the platform. You can find more details here.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and in our Freelancer Guide. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

~ Vladimir
Upwork
jkenk
Community Member

Trust me I have stop communicating with that person and never give any information. That is why I wanted to posted so I can tell everyone.

This morning the company itself contacted me and someone from upwork which I send all the information and link to Vincent P.

Thank you for helping me. I am new to this. I am not a bad person but genuine and this is my first time around this component of doing freelance so I am learning but not willing to give information as well.

I will go through this week more in details the component of upwork so I can understand clearly all the details. I didn't do any work yet only a 2 paragraph translation but beside that no. I only accept a job but no I didn't know about the contract and now I know. Like I say this is all new to me but now I know...

There is a new one now titled Administrative Assistant/Virtual Assistant and they need to hire 60 assistants.  They go under the guise of **Edited for Community Guidelines**and the email address is a gmail account.  That should have been my first clue.  Secondly, there is no **Edited for Community Guidelines** that I can find on the web.  When she emails you, she asks you to give your age and gender, which is obviously illegal.  I emailed her back letting her know this much, and she emailed me back telling me "you must be very stupid".  

I have flagged the post.  

Thanks so much.

How can I get in touch with Upwork about a different suspicious activity?

Hello Sidney, 

You can post your concern here or you can send me a PM so I can assist you. Thanks!

Untitled
jkenk
Community Member

Actually this morning I found the posting under my past message and it was called Data Entry - posted on May 18, 2016 and the name of the person (fake name she has created is **Edited for Community Guidelines**)

I was going to add the picture of the post but it didn't allowed me.

hleorico
Community Member

One general guideline every free lancer can keep in mind is that if an "employer", in any way, asks for a free lancer to pay or send in money for a job that they supposedly "offer", it most probably is a scam. 

It is a good advice to stop communicating with this employer and either report or flag their job post or your communications with them and notify Upwork. It's a shame but this practice has found it's way onto Upwork's platform and only by reporting such incidents to the upwork community can we expect to have these types of fraudsters kept under control. 

Hi

I'm new with upwork as well, and it's good to know that there are cases happening like this in here. Scammers like these are everywhere and I also receive emails for a job offer before(not from upwork), I just ignored it.

I just hope that Upwork has the way of preventing these companies to scam people in here.

Thanks for the information.

Kind regards

Victoria

Hi Victoria,

I have reviewed your issue, I would like to suggest you check the freelancer's profile who have already done many projects with sucessfully complete job with 5-star ratings.  I hope this would help you to pick the right option.

Regards,
Arafat

Md Arafat
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md. Arafat,

Please change your profile name, note that you need to have your real name on your profile. You can go to your Account Settings> Contact Info and update your profile name. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
thuynos
Community Member

Hi Julie 

I am newbie in Upwork community and thank you a lot for your thoughtfull feedback. Totally agree with you about the due dilligence before providing our personal information to pepole who we haven't knew about them.

Regards

Thuy Nguyen