Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Tips for Hiring a Virtual Assistant

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
11 of 21

But Marcia it might. Perhaps the VA has designer skills... 

I use to do websites and graphic designs, and don't any longer and don't want to for work. But I do have skills for website and graphics. 

So I don't think that it is true you always would need to hire a designer or other to do a job. 

I believe the term Virtual Assistant can be just about anything. There is no specific description but an "Assistant" it does not mean always that someone "Only" does office work.

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
12 of 21

If you are hiring someone to do the work of a designer, you should pay a designer rate, not a VA rate. 

suznee
Community Guru
13 of 21

Marcia,

I left this alone for awhile cause I didn't want to sound like a smart you know what, but some VA's charge more then designers do. So perhaps they want to pay a designers rate not a VA's Rate. I know many VA's who charge upwards of $50.00 an hour. Perhaps not on Odesk but there are VA's out there who charge more then some designers. do.

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
14 of 21

You are right, some VAs are very highly paid. Assistants can command very  high rates. I've worked as a manager where assistants earned more than I did. The assistant  to the CEO of a multinational corporation will earn more than a designer who designs the website of a local plumber. On oDesk however, VA work is generally considered low value.  Of course it depends on the skills of the individual, and if you are a VA who can sell yourself as being worth a higher salary, that's fantastic. Unfortunately, many oDesk clients will see the job title "Virtual Assistant" as meaning "cheap labor".

Maybe pay people based on their skills, not on their job titles, is better advice.

rcamba
renelene jay c Member Since: Dec 13, 2014
15 of 21

Indeed I have learned a lot from your post. I am uplifted by it. Recently, I had an experience of candidacy on a personal assistance job, I'm not actually a VA. So here it goes, the employer and I skyped in. I didn't see his face. We talked from simple conversation to intense. At first, he was creating a positive welcome for me. But later I know he was wanting me to stir around like I could be perverted. He was asking like it is modest to be like them, not conservative. I was like so confused with what he asked. So I turned him down. And he was like he doesn't want me anyway. I am Renelene and I am new in odesk. I felt trespassed. But now, I'm okay. Smiley Happy

rjohnsok
Upwork Staff
Ryan J Upwork Staff Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
16 of 21

Hi Renelene, I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with a prospective client. I hope that you've had many positive experiences since! Please let me know how things are going.

pamelalw
Pamela W Member Since: Dec 9, 2014
17 of 21

I think one of the best things to consider would be the person's background.

Personalities are important as well. It is good to talk to people and see what they might bring to the table.

I know from personal experience that I may offer something in my VA skill set that someone else may not offer. 

I also know it is important to consider many types of applicants. I know I cannot always list my entire skill set in a cover letter and because of my past employment cannot always fit it in my resume either. 

Employers should consider these points as well.

rjohnsok
Upwork Staff
Ryan J Upwork Staff Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
18 of 21

Thanks Pamela! Of the skills that you have, what are a few unique ones that you feel clients value most?

suznee
Community Guru
19 of 21

Pamela,

One of mine did take that into consideration. I started out doing one job for them and when they went through and figured out skills i had and some I forgot or didn't know I had I got more money and another position with them. 

I know I have a wide variety of skills I have picked up over the years doing a little of everything. So it is not always easy to put in my profile or a cover letter skills I do  have. Good points!

12754manuel
Manuel B Member Since: May 6, 2015
20 of 21

Hi I am Manuel A. Belen from the Philippines. I am looking for a group that will lead me to a more productive results. I am only new in this site. Can your group may help me? Thank you very much.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS