🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client insist that she will not pay for time ...
Page options
robinlcarr
Community Member

Client insist that she will not pay for time it takes to read assignment emails or to fill out time

I know that the current environment is difficult for everyone but I have a client that I have been working on a contract with for two years now who recently changed her requirements and now has all freelancers filling out timecards.

She questioned my time and said she wants a 5 hour and 30 minute credit for ADMIN time I listed this month to review her assignment emails and to fill out timecards she started requiring on 3/31/2020.

She said reading email assignments and filling out timecards is "the cost of doing business" and that she will not pay for it.

When I attempted to discuss with her she said she will cancel contract and give me a poor review if I don't comply.

Any recommendations on how to handle/

Feeling insulted and taken advantage of.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Robin C wrote:

She said reading email assignments and filling out timecards is "the cost of doing business" and that she will not pay for it.

Was the time logged with the tracker (NOT manual time) and included meaningful work memos? If yes, she WILL be paying for it 😉

Robin C wrote:

When I attempted to discuss with her she said she will cancel contract and give me a poor review if I don't comply.

If she outright said that she has been in violation of Upwork's terms of service, and could be reported. Personally I believe I would set that client free.

Robin C wrote:

Feeling insulted and taken advantage of.

I am not surprised, I would be too!

The client sounds like a brat.

The clients I work for know that I log time spent corresponding with them via email and reading instructions. I have completed over 250 jobs. I have never had a client complain about these things.

If a client ever complained about something like that... about me logging time while working on her project... then that client would probably no longer be able to retain my services.

re: "She said reading email assignments and filling out timecards is 'the cost of doing business' and that she will not pay for it."

She is correct. It IS is part of the cost of doing business. It is part of her cost for her running her business.

gina-herrera
Community Member

This is from Upwork's article about activity levels - even Upwork themselves are encouraging you to charge for phoning, reading, and THINKING. I would suggest not worrying about the poor review, clients shouldn't get to hold someone hostage like this. Let her cancel the contract, I wouldn't want to work with her anymore knowing that she can turn on a dime like this.

"* Note: Activity levels during a stretch of logged time will fluctuate depending on the task. Some tasks, such as phoning, reading, and thinking will show low activity. For this reason, it's possible that you'll see 0 mouse clicks and 0 keystrokes, but other activity will still be recorded. If you are concerned about significant portions of the Work Diary with low activity, please discuss them with your freelancer."

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

That's a big nope.

lysis10
Community Member

I always tell people like that to do what they think is best for them. Since it's hourly, if you used tracker you get paid anyway. Then when they rage quit I'd just yank her review with my TR perk.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members