🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client not funding escrow - want to end contr...
Page options
fredcomm
Community Member

Client not funding escrow - want to end contract and refund what I've been paid already

I have a client who is asking me to continue working despite the fact that he is not funding escrow for milestones. I am not interested in doing work toward unfunded milestones. Also, this client continues to fail to send me the information I need to do the project, yet insists his original milestone deadlines must remain in place. 

I want to end this contract and refund the client the money he paid for project initiation. How can I do this? Will it impact my success score?

Thank you.

Martin

3 REPLIES 3
yitwail
Community Member

Martin F wrote:

I want to end this contract and refund the client the money he paid for project initiation. How can I do this? Will it impact my success score?

You can end a contract at anytime. In this case, the client will probably give you a critical review, but if the client chooses not to leave a review, then you dodge the bullet. You could also offer to refund part of the payment as a gesture of good will, but if you're concerned about JSS, then don't refund all payment; that will probably damage JSS more than a critical review, and you could respond to a critical review to give your side of the story. But it's up to you to decide what's the lesser of all the evils.

So you're saying my JSS will take less of a hit if I don't refund anything?

re: "So you're saying my JSS will take less of a hit if I don't refund anything?"

Yes.

JSS very much does not like zero-pay contracts.

You may as well keep the money.

And you don't know you will get a bad review.

Try to end contract amicably. But don't work for free.

The client is violating Upwork TOS by asking you to work for free.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members