🐈
» Groups » Customer Service & Admin Support Professionals » Forum » Re: Employment Contract offered outside of Up...
Page options
n_rodych
Community Member

Employment Contract offered outside of Upwork

I am new to this type of work and I am not sure what to do. When I signed up last week, I was invited to apply for a Data Entry Tech job for a company in Turkey.

I arranged to have an interview with the client on Skype and went through the interview well. Today the company sent me an Employment Offer Letter seiparate and outside of Upwork. I know that all work should be done through Upwork; so what should I do now?

Please see the attached document.

Thank you for any suggestions I can get.

4 REPLIES 4
tgstudio
Community Member

No. You do not accept work or payment outside of Upwork. That will get you kicked off this site quickly.

If they refuse to hire and pay you through Upwork more than likely it is a scam. 

Thank you for your advice.  I have withdrawn my proposal to this invite and stated that the company is trying to  hire me outside of Upwork. I have also blocked any further offers from this client.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

This is a scam.  First of all, you are a freelancer, not an employee.  Secondly, ain't nobody gonna pay $30/hour for data entry on this site.  Third, you must receive and accept the job offer through UPwork and all payment must be through Upwork.  When you click on My Jobs, only those positions for which you have been officially hired will be listed.

This is the newest version of the Nigerian Prince kinda scam.

Report it to Customer Service.  Include as much information as you can, including the original job posting.  (To reach CS, click on the question mark and then on Help and Support.  On the right side, partway down the page, click on the envelope icon)  Also flag the original job post by going to the post and flagging on the upper right hand corner.

Be sure you understand the TOS and I suggest you only talk to potential clients through the Upwork site for your own protection.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Norine, 

I had to edit out the document you attached as it is a violation of the Upwork Community Guidelines - "Posting email content, chat transcripts or other private communication."

Mary and Amy gave excellent advice on how to deal with scammers on the platform. If you haven't already, you may report the client here, and please include the hiring document they sent you.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

~ Avery
Upwork