🐈
» Groups » Customer Service & Admin Support Professionals » Forum » Re: How Can I Get A Job Here?
Page options
sourav_b13
Community Member

How Can I Get A Job Here?

Hi,

I am new on Upwork. I have experience in VA and Excel. I have been applying for jobs, but I have not received any invitation for interview yet. I do not know whether there is any problem with my profile or not. But I apply all the jobs perfectly and only apply when it matches with my skills. I write my cover letter with precision and do not use any copy-paste. I try to keep it short and simple within maximum perfection.

But it's very unlikely that I'm not getting jobs here. Although I have skills and knowledge in my field, I'm not getting selected. Clients don't even visit my profile. I have applied total 20 jobs so far and recieved only 2 profile views with no invitation. I have noticed that clients tend to hire only those who have previous work hours and good feedback. But if they don't give us chance, then how are we gonna get hours and feedback? I am getting totally frastrated.

Is there any expert who can have a look at my profile and give my some suggestions?  I love to listen what others think about my profile. Any suggestion will be highly apprecited.

Kind Regards,

Morshedul Alam.

11 REPLIES 11
anayat-rehman
Community Member

Dear everything is OK. The amalgamation of elance and odesk ruined us all. I have experience and ratings (Not too Bad) but jobless. Seemingly, clients are not interested in this new system. However, try and work hard.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.

ter and try one day you can fly

im old here..but no works Man Sad

can you help me,,, i'm new for upwork......... so please tell me how can i get a job from here.......Smiley Frustrated

anasakanaku
Community Member

Your not alone dude. I thought I'm just the only one that experience that.

hello there, could anyone tell me?what should i know to do data-entry?. is ms word ms excell enough?

naomij1411
Community Member

Hi there,

I am also really new here (joined a while back but just started putting in proposals), and came onto the forums for the opposite reason - I have been really pleased to find that work has come my way quickly and quite easily.  I don't feel experienced enough to comment on your profile, but if you are going for writing jobs, I would say that it is clear from your profile that English is not your first language.  Your English is very good, but also quite stylised in a way which may put off potential clients for eg content writing.

You may therefore wish to highlight the skills you really want to promote.  It might be worth bringing forward your excel skills, as this is not so reliant on English.  You mention a lot of skills, so it could be hard for a client to pick out your strengths. You could mention a couple of specific excel projects you have worked on and/or designed, to give clients an idea of what you can do.  Highlight any qualifications you have.

My profile is quite brief, and I think it must be my qualification which has attracted clients.  I have started out by bidding fairly low (although I would not work for a pittance) so I can build up some feedback.  I'm enjoying this more than I thought.

Good luck,

Naomi

Hi Naomi,

I have the same problem, not a single interview, every buyer wants someone with upwork experience but how do you build that when you don't get hired? Not even a single profile visit. I read all the tips applied them all I don't know what the problem is. Could you have a look at my profile?

Thanks

Laura

Hi,

Thank you for your valuable comment, Naomi. You are absolutely right. I also think that I need to focus on my best skill than to focus on other skills. I have been thinking to upload some complex financial analysis that I have done through excel from time to time. But I couldn't make it due to my extreme busy schedules. Now I am free, and I am quite sure that I can bring out my strength on my upwork profile. By doing so, I hope that I can attract some clients towards me that can help me land a job.

Regards,
Morshedul.

Hello everyone, especially Naomi (who put a finger in the right spot) and our Asian friends,

Let me give my 5 Pennies worth of thought!

I have been living and working abroad nearly half my life. The place I had mostly Indians and Filipinos working in my department, was in the Middle East. There I learned a few peculiarities of your countrymen.

You are, believe this as a fact, too POLITE for one thing. Just a short while ago, I read a post by one of your associates, I think he was from Bangladesh. He started his comment in a post with "everdearest ma'm" or so. You single yourself out as being different. Most writing or translation jobs are such, as I see it, that these atributes are not wanted by the client. The same goes for sentence structure, your countries have built up their own way of speaking (and writing!) English in a unique style. This not necessarily a bad thing, it just does not fit into the modern international business world. 

Just one small example: I was very very often asked by Indians and their neighbouring countrymen "What is your good name?". In the western world nobody asks like this, it is just "what is your name, please?". 

Additionally, very often these ethnical English adaptions slip into an Upwork profile. A client, that is not used to being around other nationalities will not understand this. He is, for example, looking for an IT guy and not for a writer but the imperfection in a profile (or CV) reflects badly on the expected work standard of the person too.

The same goes for the language and writing while communicating with the client through Messenger.                   My advice? Firstly get somebody to check your CV and your Upwork profile. Get it done for free by a friend or pay for it; this is an investment that lasts for many many years.

I used to have to read CV's and decide whom to hire, believe me, there are some really bad and fake authors out there. 

Bollywood, for sure is not such a bad thing BUT maybe it would be better for you to watch "Hollywood" movies instead in order to learn English terminology and phrases. Another item that is a common Asian issue (Filipinos are also bad at it!) is punctuation, especially commas.

I am aware of my own limitations and I have many. What I am trying to say, please take this as positive criticism meant to help you and not to demotivate you. Check if what I wrote fits to you and your present situation and improve by learning.

Regards

Dietmar T.

Hi Naomi,

I am on this platform for 1year and 3 months to be exact and I have never received a job.  I visit the site almost every day I send all my proposals out almost every month, up to 50 connects per month to no avail.  My cost is $3.00 per hour.  I don't know what next to do.  I am so disappointed.  Could you please view my profile and tell me where I have possibly gone wrong.  I have visited my profile today and changed it again which is not the first time I've done this.  I am about to give up now.

Morine

Hi Morine,

Please, refer to this thread.

~ Valeria
Upwork