🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Name change denied even though it is the one ...
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

I have the same problem upwork and Paypal are the same name and I can't link paypal with upwork

Hi Fady,

Looks like your payment method is inactive. On the W-8BEN form, you can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. Let us know if this issue persists after updating your Tax information. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi ,

I face the same issue where the beneficiary name is mismatched. I use my chinese name on upwork and my english name on my bank account. Your kind help will be very appreciated!

Hi Yu,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

hi. i have same issue. My name and beneficiary name mismatch. can you please suggest a soluation. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jisha.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Goran, I am getting The beneficiary name is mismatched error while setting up my payment method in UpWork.

I read this article in the Help section: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063768-Bank-Account-Under-Different-Name and got to know that I need to provide my company bank statement, articles of association, and business certificate mentioning my name along with the company name.

So, now my question is that I have all the documents with me but how can I submit those documents to get my payment method verified.

Thanks 🙂

Hi Gourav,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Please help!

I have a similar issue with the beneficiary name missmatch I am struggling now for some time.

My name and email are the same both on paypal and on upwork, only my nickname is different but I dont have an option to change that. I was trying to find a way to start a ticket to resolve this and finally adjust the paypal integration to work but cant find an option for starting a ticket anywhere.

Hi Ferenc,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Same here when i add a new payment method (it says "the beneficiary name is mismatched") to connect my paypal account but they are the same name .. i don't know what is the problem!?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohamed,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

i have the same issue and i am new with the upwork

Hi Mohammed,

I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing the same issue. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi I got the same problem, my email address and information from paypal to upwork is the same but ot says beneficiary name is mismatched

Hi Janelle Dyanne,

Rest assured that we are currently reviewing and processing name mismatch errors as quickly as possible. Apologies for the delay.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Yes please! 😞

hello i got the same problem i removed paypal due to paypal is trying to hold payment but now it is ok i tried putting it back got the same error . please help

Hi Janelle Dyanne,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Yes please, i already used that payment method before and i don't know why
still its not accepted this time. thank you

Thank you so much. all the information are the same from paypal to Upwork

i have a problem with my payment method i have all the information the same but it says it is not the sam eor mismatched , how to ask for manual review? i used this paypal account before in this account as well

Me too. How to fix the invalid beneficiary name?

Hi Rahmyta,

I checked your account but was able to see only one payment method that is approved. Have you removed your method?

I would like to clarify that in order to be able to add a payment method, it will need to be issued on your name or your name to be listed as a beneficiary name. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I have the same issue with my Paypal Account in which it has my middle name, whilst in my Upwork Account I use first name and last name only (no middle name)

Hi Omar Guillermo,

Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi everyone, I also have a problem with "The beneficiary name is mismatched." but my name on PayPal, Credit Card, and Upwork are identical. It wasn't the same last week but I have made some changes and now they are the same but when I try to link my PayPal and Upwork, it still says that my beneficiary name is mismatched. Any thoughts?

Hi Marko,

In cases like this, it's best to wait up to 24 hours for our team to review the name mismatch. In your case, our team did and it seems that the name mismatch has already been resolved. Everything should be fine with your withdrawal method.

However, in order to make your withdrawal method active and access your earnings, you need to fill out the W-8BEN form to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. You can do that on the Settings > Tax Information page.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

this issue will be fixed by Upwork team themselves in few days 🙂

kassienina
Community Member

My name change has been denied severally, which makes it impossible to withdraw funds now that the name does not match the one on the bank account.
This name is the same one that was verified by upwork during account verification. I really concerned because I have learnt that other people are able to change their names.
How can i sort this situation out?

Hi Peris,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your name and your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
dibwe
Community Member

Hi!
My payment method disapproved because my name mismatched... Mwamba Dibwe Stany vs Stany Mwamba Dibwe. Can someone assist me here?
Thank you!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Stan,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
f5deaa35
Community Member

Hello, I tried to withdraw money today to my paypal account but it says the current text:

The beneficiary name on the payment method you added doesn't match the name on your Upwork account. This match is required. You can try adding another payment method to resolve this.

I have the same name under both accounts so can someone help me with it?

Hi Alejanrro,

I checked and it looks like your name change request is under review. Please allow up to 48 hours for the request to be processed. Rest assured, if there are any problems, our team will reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
383f1835
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork and did not know that the account name should match with the payment details. My gay name is "McAylah" and my real name is "Romark" which is what appears in my bank details. Can I still change my name here? Sorry for the bother.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi McAylah,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
achinthasageeth
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Well I have a problem, I've used an email with a different name to register to Upwork in the first place. As soon as I noticed the name mismatch, I change the name from settings and it was approved after few hours.

Recently I tried to update my bank details. Once I entered, I got a notification stating that my bank account name and my account name has a mismatch. But the thing is they are showing my email name  (automatically entered name from email) as the upwork account name. 

How can I solve this problem?? 

Thanks in advance

Hi Achintha,

It looks like you removed the payment method you're referring to. Feel free to add it again and our team will update you within the next 24 hours regarding the name mismatch on it and if additional verification is required for this process.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
shady_designer
Community Member

Hi everyone, Hope you are in good health. I made a withdrawal via my PayPal account 4 months ago and after returning to the site, my PayPal account was removed and if I re-add it, it says there is no match for my name knowing that I have not changed any settings.
Hope ه can get help soon

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths