🐈
» Groups » Customer Service & Admin Support Professionals » Forum » Re: Native English speaker
Page options
bjstrace27
Community Member

Native English speaker

Hello. I am a native English speaker and everything in my profile points to that, yet when I make a job proposal, some of them indicate I am disqualified because I am not a native English speaker. What gives?

7 REPLIES 7
dreamseller
Community Member

It only takes a couple of mouse clicks to set your English language level to ' Native or Bilingual '. 

While you're logged in, go to your profile, look at right side of the page where it says ' Languages ', click on pencil / edit icon, choose the desired level, save.

Hi Guys

I am Australian - English is my native language. I am not bilingual.

I find the language setting confusing. I had mine on English Fluent and support suggested I change it to English or Bilingual.

There is no way to indicate the level of expertise you are offering.

I'd appreciate your comments.

English is my native language. I am not bilingual.

Don't worry, it does say “Native or bilingual” – same as LinkedIn.

Thanks Natasha. It is still confusing, but I guess it would be difficult to add a bilingual category. There would be so many types of bilingual languages other than English. It is obviously sorted out when a bilingual writer bids for a job - they would have to cite which languages.

On the upside, I am enjoying my experience on Upwork now that I understand more about the site. I've found a great client for ongoing eBook writing work.

I would actually prefer we had the option to pick just "Native".

Wow what a great start on Upwork! Congrats Woman Happy

I see it's a fixed-priced contract. Have you agreed on milestone payments?

Thanks Natasha

Well "Native" covers a lot of territory - eg. Italian, French etc. English as a first language - US or UK (Aussie).

I guess as long as people understand what they want and are getting, it will work.

I'm not concerned about getting an up-front payment as the books are smallish and I can write them very quickly.

I've done a lot of proposals, but most don't go anywhere. It is good to have ongiong work with my fixed price client. We work well together and his communication with me is excellent. When you're on a good thing, stick to it.

I appreciate your interaction on this topic.

Cheers - Robyn

No I meant just native without the bilingual part, but of course indicating which language Woman Happy

I'm not concerned about getting an up-front payment as the books are smallish and I can write them very quickly.

What if you don’t get paid? I have never had a bad experience, but I always read the forum, and I see so many comments from freelancers saying after they delivered the work client disappeared. Some even start working without a contract. Anyway, I hope it works out fine for you.

Is your client new to Upwork?