🐈
» Groups » Customer Service & Admin Support Professionals » Forum » Re: Not Getting Jobs on Upwork !!!
Page options
sourav_b13
Community Member

Not Getting Jobs on Upwork !!!

Hi,

I am new on upwork. I have been using upwork for last 1/2 week. I have applied some virtual assistant / data entry / excel related jobs. But I haven't got any interview invitations or messages from clients. I do not know whether there is something wrong with my profile or not. Do I need to add any video of myself expressing my interests and skills on Upwork profile in order to enhance the acceptability? Will it add any value?

Is there anyone who can have a look at my profile and tell me whether it is okay or not? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance !

25 REPLIES 25
dreamseller
Community Member

Hi Morshedul , 

I think you need to rewrite your profile overview first . Highlighting your professional skills ( not an MBA ) and what service you can offer to a potential client . Your test scores are amazing though . 

I am not an expert , just my two cents . Probably experienced and experts , possibly forums moderator will guide you better . 

Happy UpWorking ... !

Hi Delwar,

Thanks for your suggestion. I also have the same thought. I will modify it later. Let's see what experts say.

laherz
Community Member

Hey there,

Welcome to upwork. 

I looked at your profile...pleases write things yourself.  I checked yourprofile and googled the sentence:

"Throughout my career, I have maintained the highest performance standards within a diverse range "

I found the exact sentence on another site. This site was titled "cover letter samples"

When writing your profile, you want to stand out. You don't want to be jost another Joe. The sentences you used are very common, clients can see this. Be creative and original. That's how you make your profile stand out.

I certainly do hope you're not doing this with cover letters when applying to a job. Every job you apply to, there's a bunch of people that do the same thing. Clients can see this, they will notice it. And most (if not all) clients will refrain from hiring someone that cannot write their own cover letter. I know I wouldn't, would you?

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response. I really haven't got much time to write the overview perfectly since I have opened my account last week. I will make the change asap.

I am going through the same Issue as you.
I've tried (while still working at Elance) several times to get noticed here at Upwork with no luck.

The first week of becoming Top Rated I was receiving 3-4 invitations a day, (none of interest to me) this lasted 1 week period.

I understand this is a new platform and I have to start from 0.

I've never felt so discourage in 7+ years of working as a freelancer.

I just hope to get some projects here, Soon! before Elance dissapears.

Good luck to you.

Hi Beatriz,

You can transfer your elance account to upwork. They will send you an invitation. If you accept that, the process will begin. Till then keep trying on upwork.

laherz
Community Member

I just checked your profile Beatriz. 

It's very...plain - I don't know much about the field you're working in, but maybe adding a bit more will increase your chances of landing a job.

I am also new on here, but your post is really worrying for me as you mentioned you've seven years of experience with Elance but not getting any interviews on Upwork. I've sent proposals for at least 25 jobs since last three weeks but haven't received any interview invitations.  I've been constantly trying to tweak my profile, and have taken bunch of tests but no luck so far.

If you please , look at my profile and help me to improve it , I`m new an neeed your help to get job 

Amaira_gamal

I am having the same problem! I havent taken loads of time on my profile. My issue is that im unsure as to how to show examples of administration experience? Its not like i can upload any past employers’ private business sort of stuff?
Is my rate of pay too high? What is too low that would put people off?
Also, in regards to proposals - how long is normal for the cover letter? I have only been doing one sort of large paragraph
anna6
Community Member

Hi Everyone!!!

I too keep on applying for a job in Upwok ( Web design, graphic designer ) for I think 2 months now...and not getting anything, or any job. Is there something with my profile or what?

Please advise and help!!!....

Thanks..

-Analou

uniqueud70
Community Member

I have wasted about 100+ connects since 2 months but all in vain. 

I am really struggling to get my first job!!!!!! Even slashed my rates etc and nada.

me to I stopped paying for connects that return no results.

Hi Analou,

Im sorry you are not getting any offers. I looked at your profile and allow me to be candid about it.

1. Do you know what is the most seductive 3 letter word in the English language? A word that would make you swoon or crazy depending on the context it is used. That word is "you." I love you, you are the one for me, you make amazing dumplings, you are the right client for me, or you are crazy :-). Don't you love hearing you in a conversation about yourself? So don't  you think clients will love hearing that too? So my suggestion is try to use as many you, you can in your profile. "My design will help you drive traffic, optimized,responsive and most of all will make you money" or something like that.

2. Your profile does not have a what's in it for them area. What are the real benefits of them working for you? Will they make money on their websites, drive traffic, etc. try to put yourself in their shoes and address all their pain points in your profile so they have to offer you the job.

3.  Try to emulate other freelancers in your field, go to their profiles and make notes and include it in your profile.

4. Your profile should have, who you are, what do you do, why they listen you, features and benefits to them, call to action, service guarantee, etc. include as much you (or similiar words) as you can.

Anywyas, thats just my 2 cents. Hope it helps!

Good luck Analou!

Satiesh

c9e6c70f
Community Member

You should not complain if your only 1/2 week or a few months new here. Getting started takes time. It also takes a lot of applying for jobs and not spamming your job applications. Take the time to read the job and be sure you are a good fit. This is not a get rich quick site. In fact 95% of freelancers can not earn a living on this site alone. You need to have other clients and opportunites outside of Upwork. The top 5% Freelancers on Upwork earn the largest portion of revenue earned on Upwork the rest of the pack is divided. There will be 5.1 million Freelancers using this site starting in Sept 2015 when Elance merges with Upwork. There are 6.1 million job post annually do the math thats 1-2 jobs a year per freelancer. Like I said the top tier will get more jobs while others will dry up and walk away. Thats reality.

Read this post for actual statistics **edited for Community Guidelines** not trying to thow cold water on you. If you are talented and have what it takes to be unique you might do alright in supplimenting your income. Always serve your clients first and give the best you got to give. Dont worry starting out slow it is normal.

Hi,

Thank you very much for those facts, figures and nice words. I learned many things from your comment. Thank you.

If you visit my profile, you will see that the profile is made long back. This site was 'oDesk' than. Since than I was applying for the jobs but not made any yet. I stopped visiting this site even and joined 'Elance'. My profle in Elance is doing well though I can't understand what the mistake I am making here. What is I am lacking?

Thank you.

shumaila555
Community Member

I want job on Upwork.com but no one hire me. Please help me. I am working 3 to 4 month here.

Give me positive suggestions.

Warmly regard,

Shumaila Kausar

Upwork.com Freelancer

satiesh1186
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Im sorry to see so many people having issues getting clients, myself included. I tried to figure out test what works and came up with the following comments that brought me a bit of peace (still testing it though):

1. Since the merger of Elance and Odesk, there are now, an estimate of twice more freelancers bidding for work. More competition like ever before in each category and sub category.

2. Almost 75% of freelancers beasically offer the same services in each category. Some may have more experience but no qualification, some, the other way around. Some may have this and some  may not. Everyone is unique, but in the bigger picture there are the same.

3. When jobs posted, there are almost 2 times more bidders than before, carrying down the price for the job to bare minimum, sometimes even I can call it free.

4. More than ever, everything is cut throat. Example, I got invited for an editing job the other day, client requested that I produce a sample based on information given, I did it and submit. Later in the day I noticed on the job post, he requested an interview for someone else. I couldn't believe I did this!!!

I pulled up the other freelancer profille, checked through for ANY information I can use against him, googled him, checked other freelancing sites, got a bunch of information, AND wrote a very nice email to the client highlighting reasons you shouldnt consider the guy for this job, but should give me. But I didnt send it. Luckily my wife saw what I was doing and stopped me right there, told me We are not that kind of people, win jobs fairly and most importantly I am not acting in the best interest of the client. Competition can make us do some really terrible s#$t. My wife and I have a very successful transcription company over on elance.

Now, let us put ourselves in the shoes of prospective clients. There are so many people bidding for jobs, with the same amount of experience, qualification, job success rate, etc, how the hell can they choose someone that fits their needs???? So asking myself that question from the client perspective, I realised the following:

1.  Clients are confused as hell to select a freelancer.

2. They no longer looking for low rates. But look at profiles and cover letters, and then later on price.

3. This means that my profile has to be goood! And my cover letter should be good also.

4. They do not have time to go through all applications in detail, so the more to the point a cover letter is, then the better.

5. My cover letter should be short and demonstrate that I can do the job (in few sentences as possible), I am likeable and easy to work with, and I will act in the best interest of them.

6. Therefore my cover letter should be really personable and my profile should be like a sale letter, drawing my cleints to the sale (which is offering me the job). You can read what I did here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Need-some-insight/m-p/115024#M58767

7. My price should be what I believe I am worth and the VALUE i believe I can give to my clients. The value must be communicated on the profile. There are some clients that just want cheapness, these are not the people I want to work for! I need respect and my cover leter and profile demonstrates that.

I worked hard on my profile and cover letters. I try to personalise each cover letter and attach relevant and super specific samples (as this proves I can do the job). Even if I dont have a sample, I go out and get one (even spending an entire day), or if the job is too vague or even too specific for that client, I offer a free trial (but thats last resort). I will test and test and test some more, until I break into this market.

Okay, this is tooo long a post. This is just my testing. Its a bit too early to see the results.

I wish everyone a good luck and stay in there. I leave you with the great Michael Jordan:

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed"

Satiesh

@Satiesh S wrote:

4. More than ever, everything is cut throat. Example, I got invited for an editing job the other day, client requested that I produce a sample based on information given, I did it and submit. Later in the day I noticed on the job post, he requested an interview for someone else. I couldn't believe I did this!!!

I pulled up the other freelancer profille, checked through for ANY information I can use against him, googled him, checked other freelancing sites, got a bunch of information, AND wrote a very nice email to the client highlighting reasons you shouldnt consider the guy for this job, but should give me.

You know what?

That completely freaked me out. What kind of "professional" would do something like that???

I have news for you, Satiesh! A client has every (!!!) right to interview more than one candidate.

You "checked through for ANY information I can use against him,"

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable!

pameff
Community Member

I want to share my general experience on several platforms I was working on. So some of my tips might

apply for some of the people who are trying to get a job here on Upwork.

1. Your profile should show exactly what you are able to do. I have seen some profiles were you can find a whole bench of knowledge and experience. In my opinion the best way is to focus on your main skills. Concentrate on things you are really good in and take out the things "you might be able to do".

2. When you allready had a few jobs on Upwork than it makes a good picture if the jobs you worked on are really

fitting the experience you mentioned in your profile.

3. Be honest with yourself. I only apply to jobs were I'am sure that I could do them so that my client will be pleased with the work he received. I'am mainly do translation and proofreading from english and spanish to german language. Even if my english and spanish skills are fine I would never apply for jobs from german language to english or spanish (exception only if it is short general text), because I could not do it with the same quality as a native speaker.

4. Check your client and understand what he wants. At the beginning I was also desperated. I sent a lot of job offers without getting responses or invitations to interviews. To get a feet into the door I lowered my fee in the first offers. Than I started to check out the job offers better. Now I don't sent proposals to clients which have a high number of job offers and a low percentage of hired jobs. Or sometimes you even see in the text that the offer was made from the customer especially for a freelancer he allready worked with.

5. Time does matter: I try to respond fast if there is a new job offer that fits my skills. Most of my jobs I got within the first hour the new jobs were posted. If I missed out an offer and find it later I only apply if the number of proposals is not to high (less than 10 proposals) even if I know that I'am able to do this job. In this case you might check out also your competition. If I see that several freelancer with outstanding profiles allready applied than I know that it is a waste of time to sent a proposal.

6. Time does matter II: If you get a question from the customer by reason of your offer than answer it as quick as you can. A lot of clients get desperate if they don't receive a fast reply. Think like them, it might be posible that they need this job to be done fast. You could be sure that you are not the only one who got a question from him.

7. Every Dollar counts: Ok, we all want to make money and we have only a certain amount of connects. So we are tempted not to reply to short works with low budgets. Don't understand me wrong, I'am not talking about jobs from customers who don't want to pay what you are worth. I'am talking about jobs in the price range of 10 - 50 $ were you know that you are able to do them in a short reasonable time. Probability is much higher to be awarded here. You do the job in a short time, client is happy with your work and gives you a good feedback which will be visible for other customers in future.

Hope that this tips will help to get people the first job here.

miles2831
Community Member

Hi, can somebody also check my profile? I have updated it with the help of Suzanne,an upwork community member, but I would like to know if there is still something lacking in my profile. Thank you in advance!

@Mary Aisles M wrote:
Hi, can somebody also check my profile? I have updated it with the help of Suzanne,an upwork community member, but I would like to know if there is still something lacking in my profile. Thank you in advance!

Hi, Mary.

1. Your title needs to be shortened and strong. They most certainly do NOT want to "read on"! What they want to do is see what your strong suit is and what you're best at.

2. Move your skills around in order of your strongest suit and highest paying skill. So, I'd recommend to place Adobe Photoshop first, then Social Media Management second, then Customer Service third. 

3. Your Overview isn't half bad, but I'd highly recommend to remove: "Available almost 24/7" due to the fact that clients will strongly use and abuse this (and you) to their advantage! This will stress you out and the pay may or may not be worth it.

4. I like your Portfolio section, but I hope that you asked permission to show those examples, because according to the Work for Hire policy that Upwork directly supports - you do not own the rights to that content due to being paid for said content. Meaning, that you have to ask permission to use those jobs as examples.

5. I noticed that you have "Jobs in Progress". I'm not sure why some of this is, but I'd recommend doing a job, then closing the job and taking/giving the proper feedback (meaning, don't just give them 5-stars - be serious and accurate). In the beginning (and even later on), your primary goal should be to use jobs as stepping stones. You complete one, receive feedback from it, then move on to the next. 

Other than that, I'd recommend avoiding potential clients that do not have a Verified Payment method, as this will cause a dispute and a delay (or a permanent stall) on you receiving payment for properly completed work. Also, do not start the work until the payment's have been secured in escrow or verified.

I hope this helps!

inishia
Community Member

I'm very new to this, and if experienced people like yourself are not getting work, how will I get work. Please can someone look at my profile, (still setting it up) your input will be appreciated.

@Gizzelle V wrote:
I'm very new to this, and if experienced people like yourself are not getting work, how will I get work. Please can someone look at my profile, (still setting it up) your input will be appreciated.

Hi, Gizzelle.

1. Your starting rate is way too high. You have no proof of experience, you're in Africa, and you're probably applying to jobs for $10/hour - which is placing you on Intermediate or Expert level pay grade.

I'd recommend dropping this to $5-$8 per hour starting value. 

2. Your title needs serious work. 1 word isn't going to cut it. You need it to sell yourself in a strong manner, while keeping it short. Something along the lines of "Professional Copyrighter and Typist" would work perfectly! Heck, you can even copy that, if you want.

3. Your overview, again, needs more work! You need to sell yourself, while keeping it short and to-the-point. I'm not sold on that overview, that's for sure!

4. Where are your skills!? I recommend adding "Data Entry", "Copyrighter", "Content Writer", etc. Make sure that Upwork has a matching skill description and, if they have a test associated with it, then to take that test. That test will verify your proof of the ability that you have for completing that task.

The rest is fine and not really needed. Unless, it is a Skills Test that pertains to a job that you are applying to. So, I'd recommend to take more skill tests.

I hope this helps!