Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not Getting Jobs on Upwork !!!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 26

@Satiesh S wrote:

4. More than ever, everything is cut throat. Example, I got invited for an editing job the other day, client requested that I produce a sample based on information given, I did it and submit. Later in the day I noticed on the job post, he requested an interview for someone else. I couldn't believe I did this!!!

I pulled up the other freelancer profille, checked through for ANY information I can use against him, googled him, checked other freelancing sites, got a bunch of information, AND wrote a very nice email to the client highlighting reasons you shouldnt consider the guy for this job, but should give me.

You know what?

That completely freaked me out. What kind of "professional" would do something like that???

I have news for you, Satiesh! A client has every (!!!) right to interview more than one candidate.

You "checked through for ANY information I can use against him,"

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable!

Marcus M Member Since: Oct 9, 2015
22 of 26

I want to share my general experience on several platforms I was working on. So some of my tips might

apply for some of the people who are trying to get a job here on Upwork.

1. Your profile should show exactly what you are able to do. I have seen some profiles were you can find a whole bench of knowledge and experience. In my opinion the best way is to focus on your main skills. Concentrate on things you are really good in and take out the things "you might be able to do".

2. When you allready had a few jobs on Upwork than it makes a good picture if the jobs you worked on are really

fitting the experience you mentioned in your profile.

3. Be honest with yourself. I only apply to jobs were I'am sure that I could do them so that my client will be pleased with the work he received. I'am mainly do translation and proofreading from english and spanish to german language. Even if my english and spanish skills are fine I would never apply for jobs from german language to english or spanish (exception only if it is short general text), because I could not do it with the same quality as a native speaker.

4. Check your client and understand what he wants. At the beginning I was also desperated. I sent a lot of job offers without getting responses or invitations to interviews. To get a feet into the door I lowered my fee in the first offers. Than I started to check out the job offers better. Now I don't sent proposals to clients which have a high number of job offers and a low percentage of hired jobs. Or sometimes you even see in the text that the offer was made from the customer especially for a freelancer he allready worked with.

5. Time does matter: I try to respond fast if there is a new job offer that fits my skills. Most of my jobs I got within the first hour the new jobs were posted. If I missed out an offer and find it later I only apply if the number of proposals is not to high (less than 10 proposals) even if I know that I'am able to do this job. In this case you might check out also your competition. If I see that several freelancer with outstanding profiles allready applied than I know that it is a waste of time to sent a proposal.

6. Time does matter II: If you get a question from the customer by reason of your offer than answer it as quick as you can. A lot of clients get desperate if they don't receive a fast reply. Think like them, it might be posible that they need this job to be done fast. You could be sure that you are not the only one who got a question from him.

7. Every Dollar counts: Ok, we all want to make money and we have only a certain amount of connects. So we are tempted not to reply to short works with low budgets. Don't understand me wrong, I'am not talking about jobs from customers who don't want to pay what you are worth. I'am talking about jobs in the price range of 10 - 50 $ were you know that you are able to do them in a short reasonable time. Probability is much higher to be awarded here. You do the job in a short time, client is happy with your work and gives you a good feedback which will be visible for other customers in future.

Hope that this tips will help to get people the first job here.

Ace Contributor
Mary Aisles M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
23 of 26
Hi, can somebody also check my profile? I have updated it with the help of Suzanne,an upwork community member, but I would like to know if there is still something lacking in my profile. Thank you in advance!
Anthony K Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
24 of 26

@Mary Aisles M wrote:
Hi, can somebody also check my profile? I have updated it with the help of Suzanne,an upwork community member, but I would like to know if there is still something lacking in my profile. Thank you in advance!

Hi, Mary.

1. Your title needs to be shortened and strong. They most certainly do NOT want to "read on"! What they want to do is see what your strong suit is and what you're best at.

2. Move your skills around in order of your strongest suit and highest paying skill. So, I'd recommend to place Adobe Photoshop first, then Social Media Management second, then Customer Service third. 

3. Your Overview isn't half bad, but I'd highly recommend to remove: "Available almost 24/7" due to the fact that clients will strongly use and abuse this (and you) to their advantage! This will stress you out and the pay may or may not be worth it.

4. I like your Portfolio section, but I hope that you asked permission to show those examples, because according to the Work for Hire policy that Upwork directly supports - you do not own the rights to that content due to being paid for said content. Meaning, that you have to ask permission to use those jobs as examples.

5. I noticed that you have "Jobs in Progress". I'm not sure why some of this is, but I'd recommend doing a job, then closing the job and taking/giving the proper feedback (meaning, don't just give them 5-stars - be serious and accurate). In the beginning (and even later on), your primary goal should be to use jobs as stepping stones. You complete one, receive feedback from it, then move on to the next. 

Other than that, I'd recommend avoiding potential clients that do not have a Verified Payment method, as this will cause a dispute and a delay (or a permanent stall) on you receiving payment for properly completed work. Also, do not start the work until the payment's have been secured in escrow or verified.

I hope this helps!

Highlighted
Gizzelle V Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
25 of 26
I'm very new to this, and if experienced people like yourself are not getting work, how will I get work. Please can someone look at my profile, (still setting it up) your input will be appreciated.
Anthony K Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
26 of 26

@Gizzelle V wrote:
I'm very new to this, and if experienced people like yourself are not getting work, how will I get work. Please can someone look at my profile, (still setting it up) your input will be appreciated.

Hi, Gizzelle.

1. Your starting rate is way too high. You have no proof of experience, you're in Africa, and you're probably applying to jobs for $10/hour - which is placing you on Intermediate or Expert level pay grade.

I'd recommend dropping this to $5-$8 per hour starting value. 

2. Your title needs serious work. 1 word isn't going to cut it. You need it to sell yourself in a strong manner, while keeping it short. Something along the lines of "Professional Copyrighter and Typist" would work perfectly! Heck, you can even copy that, if you want.

3. Your overview, again, needs more work! You need to sell yourself, while keeping it short and to-the-point. I'm not sold on that overview, that's for sure!

4. Where are your skills!? I recommend adding "Data Entry", "Copyrighter", "Content Writer", etc. Make sure that Upwork has a matching skill description and, if they have a test associated with it, then to take that test. That test will verify your proof of the ability that you have for completing that task.

The rest is fine and not really needed. Unless, it is a Skills Test that pertains to a job that you are applying to. So, I'd recommend to take more skill tests.

I hope this helps!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS