🐈
Page options
mcgregorsusan
Community Member

Popular Software

Does anyone have a sense of the most popular software apps?  I am wanting to learn more and there are so many out there not quite sure where to begin.

thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Susan,

Welcome to Upwork Community! Could you please let me know what kind of software are you referring to?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

In job descriptions the client refers to applications that they use and desire the freelancer be familiar with...ie. Microsoft office (word,excel etc). For example, i noticed Cvent recently.
I am happy to learn but many cost money and would like to spend initially for the more popular.
Hope that clarifies

Susan M wrote:
In job descriptions the client refers to applications that they use and desire the freelancer be familiar with...ie. Microsoft office (word,excel etc). For example, i noticed Cvent recently.
I am happy to learn but many cost money and would like to spend initially for the more popular.
Hope that clarifies

What is you niche?

I do design work, so most popular software which is for MY needs would be under Adobe company.

Often we encounter a client who asks a project to be created using certain program; sometimes it happens to be unimportant (client specified a program without particular reason).

To learn more while not bying ALL the programs; find out which software is 'best' for your needs (easy to google or just ask here, someone from your expertize will answer you) and go with that.

Thank you so much
Best software for:
Project management
Customer service
Event management
Sports management

Hi Susan,

In my personal opinion, as a freelancer, you should start getting to know your surroundings in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Forms. You can also find other office products that are free to use such as Open Office or LibreOffice. I hope this helps.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Yes, thank you

Susan:

I'll give you a little trick that some freelancers use to earn significant money.

They don't just focus on the most popular software. They actually look at the job posts in Upwork, particularly in the field they're interested in, and they look for requests by clients for freelancers to work with specific technologies and software packages. They look for where there is demand that isn't being met.

Sometimes freelancers can earn good money by becoming genuine experts with specific software packages, systems, technologies, etc., that are less well known, but which SOME clients want to hire people to help them with.

Thank you so much...a different angle.
Now to find one of those!!
curatolo-giselle
Community Member

Hi Susan,

I am new to the site but have noticed requests for Zendesk and Liondesk. 

Both are applications you will find tutorials to on Youtube. 

I imagine it depends on what category of service you are looking at to apply.

I hope this helps. 

emanicom
Community Member

Hello,

You can actually find almost all tutorials on YouTube and that way you can learn multiple types of software for free and watch as many times as you like. 

Thank you. Just beginning to explore

If I may add on to this question, once you learn about using the new software via YouTube, free trials, or what-nots, would you be able to list yourself as having experience with that software? I have been learning new things, but have hesitated adding those skills to my resume as I have only learned about it, but have little to no work applicable experience as of yet. Thoughts?

If you have learned about how to use a software package or technique... then NO, you should NOT promote that skill on your profile.

But: if you have practiced using it to the point that you are comfortable offering services professionally, then yes, you can promote that skill on your profile.

Watching a YouTube video is not the same thing as learning how to do something AND practicing by making your own projects with that skill.