🐈
» Groups » Customer Service & Admin Support Professionals » Forum » Proper billing for video editing jobs
Page options
pashaakhan
Community Member

Proper billing for video editing jobs

Hi there, I hope you are doing fine.

I want to tell you about my problem in detail. I am currently working as a Virtual Assistant for a client at the rate of $30/hr. My primary duty is attending 1-hour (or less) Zoom meetings and editing them after the sessions. I bill for the time I spend in the meeting and for the "actual time" I spend editing the video. The actual time is the time I spend to cut, add, and insert things into the file. So, per webinar, I bill 15 to 30 minutes. However, I want to bill my client for the time when the software exports the video. As an editor, you know that the software took some time ( it was never less than 2 hours for my cases) to publish a finished product. My client bought me the software, but my electricity bill, wi-fi bill, and the miscellaneous bills should be paid by her for this exporting period (however small the bills are!). The client is not tech-savvy and I am a dumb too because I never speak out about this issue. Actually, I was a little annoyed by her attitude (for a different issue) and never wanted to go into an altercation with her. But, Better Late than Never, right? Our contract is ending the next week and I am looking for suggestions. How I can smartly put it so she agrees to pay me for this "Exporting/Processing Period"? I have on thing in my head, charging her maybe $5/hr for these periods? It was my first video editing job and that's why I'm hitting this rough page, I guess. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your time.

Best

Murtaza

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arunkumar60
Community Member

I guess the best thing to do is track time through the Upwork app. Let the Upwork time keeper app track time automatically and you can keep the app ON for the time you spend on the clients work

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
arunkumar60
Community Member

I guess the best thing to do is track time through the Upwork app. Let the Upwork time keeper app track time automatically and you can keep the app ON for the time you spend on the clients work

Thanks for your suggestion, Arun.

Bro, forget about it for this job, and just simply record your time while exporting next time, and thats it, are you not using the app?

Done I am ready 

39f3a1cc
Community Member

I love to work with you
george_sultan
Community Member

I always leave the upwork app opened for renders. My computer and my time are occupied for that task specifically so that have to be billed. Also the song reserach, templeates research, etc. 

I agree with you George. time tracker tracking everything you do with the project, that's include when we're discussing about the project through chat app. searching material, export the file, upload as well. What's consider as a work, hourly tracker is ON

80c469dc
Community Member

i can do