🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Started as a freelancer but recently started ...
Page options
sheriell
Community Member

Started as a freelancer but recently started an LLC.

How do I change my freelancer account to use the protection I get as a LLC entity. I recently established an LLC with a company name. For legal and tax purposes, I would like to switch my account to go through that instead of my name and also switch to paying into that bank account instead of my personal one. Can I do this without losing the little reputation I have gotten under my freelance name? Will this effect the jobs I get?

4 REPLIES 4
colettelewis
Community Member

Sherie L wrote:

How do I change my freelancer account to use the protection I get as a LLC entity. I recently established an LLC with a company name. For legal and tax purposes, I would like to switch my account to go through that instead of my name and also switch to paying into that bank account instead of my personal one. Can I do this without losing the little reputation I have gotten under my freelance name? Will this effect the jobs I get?

There have been a lot of changes on Upwork but as far as I know you can't as a freelancer. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Sherie:

I believe that you CAN accomplish your goals of doing your work as an LLC.

But you will need to do these things by consulting with your local authorities - tax and legal experts - and NOT through any features within the Upwork user interface. There are no Upwork features that specifically address these matters.

But your local authorities will be able to advise you on how to properly handle your paperwork and filings.

Also: Rememer that Upwork DOES ALLOW you to withdraw your earnings to an LLC bank account. You just need to make sure that your legal name is a named account holder on the account.

Yes, I recently did that. I changed my legal business name and bank information in my Upwork settings. However, I don't think this alone offers LLC protection. To do that, I think I need to send clients a contract clearly stating that the work is offered by my LLC. 

I plan to hire an attourney on Upwork to explain all of this stuff to me. Just haven't done it yet.

Hi - This is with reference to your post back in 2019. I am int he same boat, where I am trying to find work on Upwork, but I want to do this under my LLC. Just wondering how you ended up handling this?

Thanks for ay tips you can provide!

Krupa

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members