Pls I need help. It's been up to a month now that my profile has been approved by Upwork. But ever since I've been unable to get any job.
Pls help me in anyway you can. I really desire to get my first job.
Hello Michael, you are welcome to Upwork. Firstly, Upwork is a very competitive marketplace, so being a newbie can be a little intimidating in a way. But either a newbie or not, three things will help your growth here; your "KILLER" proposal, your Profile and finally your communication. Keep all these in good shape and professional and clients will search for you. I check your profile and I feel it needs some overhauling. Try these things;
1. Reduce your rate; for a newbie with no Job Success Score, keep it low for now.
2. Change your profile picture to something more professional.
3. Increase your number and range of skills.
4. Review your overview
5. Take tests relating to your skills.
6. Have a portfolio containing some of your previous jobs (even if it is outside Upwork).
Your proposal would make a client check your profile out. If satisfied, he will contact you and your swift communication skills will land you the job.
I hope this helps. Goodluck bro.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try."
Thank you for your contributions. Yours and everyone whose comments I've read are encouraging.
I have to ask though, and I would appreciate your giving direct answers.
I became active again last month, after registering in 2014. What do you think I can do to increase my chances?
How much do you think I should charge for an hour given that I've not completed any jobs?
I put 3USD initially, and I read that I shouldn't underprice myself, so I increased it to 20USD. I feel like I'm unable to work out the pricing dynamics correctly given my "greenhorn" status.
Kindly share your thoughts.
Thank you for the contact and compliment.
First of all, I must confess, what a great profile you got out there. However, there is always room for improvement. I would list a few. But do remember that there is no perfect profile.
- Your hourly rate is good on 10USD
- Your Profile overview is well written, you may only need to rearrange. some stuffs.
- Let your first paragraph be your sales point, it should contain your experiences too.
- Also, remove the test results at the end of the overview, they are displayed in their own section.
- Your portfolio should contain more than one project using relevant image(s). Kindly remove your image from the project, its not professional enough.
Having said all these, your best weapon are your proposals for jobs.
- A solid professional proposal will drive the traffic towards your profile.
- Make your proposal as formal as possible by starting with a quick introduction of yourself, how competent you are for the job not forgetting to mention any of your past project that is relevant to the job and a quick breakdown of how you will go about it.
- You can add attachments too.
- I'd advise you apply for low budget jobs for now.
- Apply to jobs with low number of proposals submitted. Applying for jobs with 20 - 50 proposals is a no go area.
- Finally, make each proposal unique. Write each proposal fresh and not from your templates. It helps you tailor each proposal to a particular job posting.
I hope this helps.
Good luck ma'am
“You Learn More From Failure Than From Success. Don’t Let It Stop You. Failure Builds Character.”
I think I agree with you, although I have gotten reasonable jobs here. But with the number of proposals I have sent, if I was probably from the U.K, i'll have more opportunities. I have noticed few things, but I'll rather not say...I could be wrong. Just take a look at the screenshot, it says it all... things like this could be really discouraging.
In my opinion, you have to work hard on your profile. People may or may not be skeptical to hire Nigerians, but, if you have skills and certification no one can deny your ability.