This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Nigerian Freelancers

Frequent Visitor
Afolabi S Member Since: Nov 21, 2018

i would say am having the same issue, because my profile is yet to be approved. 

Even after taking the tests. dont know what to do. 

my major skill is in wordpress website, e-commerce, learning management system and also moderate knowledge in graphics

and i will appreciate if anyone can provide me their customer support email address.

Ace Contributor
Akinbode A Member Since: Nov 1, 2016

Hi Afolabi,

Firstly, I do not think profile approval on Upwork is controlled by humans but by alogrithms for the first stage before the humans do the once that came through the first stage.

However, checking your profile, it is too weak if I may say.  You still need to go back and tweak it. You should not just resubmit after being rejected. I will list some things I feel you should brace up on your profile.

1. You do not have a portfolio
  2. There are no tests at all. Take tests that are relevant to your skills and the Upwork readiness test too.
  3. One line or two line sentence for your experience is not enough. Explain what you do or did.
  4. Make sure you have 100% profile completeness.
  5. Is your email a professional email? I mean it includes your name and not some fancy aliases.

These are just tips and doesn't gurantee the approval, but I wish you success.

Kind regards,

Akinbode A.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

Frequent Visitor
Martins N Member Since: Dec 7, 2018
Hello everyone, its been really difficult to land jobs for me. Have got my profile working for a long time now still no jobs come by where am i making mistakes. Any help thanks
Ace Contributor
Bukola O Member Since: Dec 23, 2016

Keep trying, no one trusts Nigerians but we still push. All I can say is keep pushing bro... You'll land something soon. That was how I started and I'm still struggling...

Frequent Visitor
Umar A Member Since: Dec 26, 2018
ok bor tnxs i will,😊
Frequent Visitor
Femi O Member Since: May 2, 2019
Hi Akinbode,

I'm new on the platform and sought out this forum after getting rejected twice. I was going to narrate my experience here but I've taken cues from your response to last poster, could you please look through my profile and portfolio and tell me where to make adjustments.

I really appreciate your help.
Vivian U Member Since: May 20, 2019
Ok, I'm new to upwork, I joined about 3weeks ago, I have submitted over 40 proposals got two replies and only one job from a Nigerian. I have this fear that people avoid me because of my nationality. I would be glad if someone can look over my profile, tell me I should do to get jobs. Thank you, would be glad if someone can mentor me here too.
Ace Contributor
Remi O Member Since: Jun 6, 2016

Hi Vivian.

Congrats on getting your first job, you also got a great review so hopefully, that helps in getting more opportunities.

I do have a suggestion. It might be best to pick two of the many skills you listed and focus on those. Create specialized profiles for those two and focus on getting jobs in those categories. Clients may have more confidence in your ability when they know you're focused and can deliver the best in the category they're hiring for.

Right now you've listed:

Writing

Graphic Design

Web Design

Music production

Data entry

Transcription

Video editing

This probably has the opposite effect you're hoping for.  Clients want freelancers who are the best at what they need, not the ability to do many things relatively well.

Hope this helps!

Frequent Visitor
Henry O Member Since: Jun 5, 2019

I'm with you..... That's so true 

Theresa D Member Since: Mar 28, 2019

To be successful on Upwork, you need to be professional.

i. Get a portfolio of the niche you are interested in.

ii. Write a 'human portfolio for each job

ii. See through your client's eyes

iv. Be determined to get the job and be excellent and extraordinary

v. Negotiate a good fee, this will also encourage you to put in your best.

If you have a great profile that looks professional or capable, your nationality does not matter.

Writer, Social Media Manager
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS