This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Re: Nigerian Freelancers

Ace Contributor
Akinbode A Member Since: Nov 1, 2016

Hello,

Are you a freelancer from Nigeria? Then you will agree with me that once a client sees our nationality, its either our proposal is not answered or gets declined almost immediately.

Kindly comment here with your questions and lets discuss on how to potray ourselves good that would make clients ignore our nationality for our skills.

Advices and suggestions are welcomed too from anyone.

Thanks,

Akinbode A.

Graphics Designer

Nigeria

58 REPLIES 58
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015

I do not agree with you. Worked with clients from several countries on the platform.

Lost count of the clients I have worked with off platform.

Clients look for professionalism and signs that you have the ability to deliver. I know this because I have also hired consultants and worked with large teams  on and off platform.

I stopped trying to portray or prove myself a long time ago. Life and time is too short for that.

A problem solver just needs to keep doing whatever he/she is doing well as this great gentleman did

Our world is changed by these kind of people.and that Akinbode, cannot be 'declined'.

Ostar O Member Since: Jun 15, 2016

You are very right Oreofe.

When I first joined Upwork, I had that fear because of the international image of the country but I didn't spend up to a week after my profile was approved before I started getting jobs, and they have been coming ever since.

I get jobs from clients across the globe. Within a space of four months I had worked with clients from America, Asia, Middle East, and of course Africa. I have also worked for a Nigerian who lives in Canada. and on my profile, it is boldly displayed that I am from Nigeria. So, I vehemently disagree that Nigeria's international image play a significant part in determining your job opportunities on Upwork. I think the principal determinant is your competence. Clients want their jobs done excellently, if you do your job so well, they will come back for you next time.

Rather, I think where the challenge lies is in payment. receiving money is quite difficult. Since, I cannot receive money into my paypal account and withdraw into Nigerian bank account, I have to always part with $30 per wiretransfer after paying 10% or 20% on each job. The charges are simply excruciating. I haven't found an alternative or a resolution yet.

Community Guru

RE:

-------

Rather, I think where the challenge lies is in payment. receiving money is quite difficult. Since, I cannot receive money into my paypal account and withdraw into Nigerian bank account, I have to always part with $30 per wiretransfer after paying 10% or 20% on each job. The charges are simply excruciating. I haven't found an alternative or a resolution yet.

----

Hi Osita,

Happy to tell you that there is aonther payment option available:

Local Funds Transfer ($0.99-$4.99 per transfer, plus incoming fees at some banks)

Click here for more information.

Works well and my funds come in same day within the hour.

Happy Freelancing and wishing you all the best.

Kingsley U Member Since: Jun 19, 2015

HI, 

Just one quick question, are there incoming fees when you use the Wire transfer option to your dorm account?

If no which bank do you use for that? I am inclined to try that option, but I don't know if GTB charges for incoming fees, seeing that Upwork already charged $30 per transfer. 

Community Guru

Hi Kinglsey,

I have a dom account with GTB and they charge a token for every withdrawal depending on the amount you are withdrawing of course. and I must add that I have not had any issues with my transactions with them ( so far).

Emmanuel M Member Since: Dec 28, 2016

Hi,

is it possible to make a direct payment to local bank account which is a domiciliary account and yet be charged only $0.99. (as opposed to the normal dociliary a/c charge $30 from upwork and $20 from local bank)

Highlighted
Emmanuel M Member Since: Dec 28, 2016

Hello Oreofe,

Re:

I have a dom account with GTB and they charge a token for every withdrawal depending on the amount you are withdrawing of course. and I must add that I have not had any issues with my transactions with them ( so far).

..........................................................................................................................

When your money is sent to your dom account in GTB through Direct to Local Bank what amount does Upwork charge you $0.99 or $30. Since transfer to dom a/c usually attract $30 and local bank will still charge you $20

Community Guru

To my DOM account, the fixed charge is 30USD ( by UW) but I dont get charged 20USD transaction fees by my bank. Sometimes I just go through the LFT (direct route). Faster and off couse less cost intensive for some transactions.

Angelina J Member Since: Dec 6, 2017
What if the account is not dominant, how much are they going to charge?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS