This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Re: Nigerian Freelancers

michael o Member Since: Mar 16, 2017

Thanks Akinbode A,

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Tari E Member Since: Aug 17, 2018
Hi, Akinbode

Please help! I currently do not have a government issued ID asides my LGA and birth certificates. And I would like to change my name from the short form Tari to the full form of my name - Itari. I am also worried about being mandated to provide an ID sometime soon and receiving the penalty for not having any.

I only recently started the registration for my PVC and national ID, and we all know how long the process takes here in Nigeria! So my question is, are temporary national IDs and voters cards are acceptable? And if not, what about birth certificates.

Thank you for taking out the time to read this
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
Hi Itari,

Here are my 2 kobos (cents).
1. Temp ids are not allowed on UW
2. You can look at these options: National ID, Drivers License, International Passport, PVC.
3. The International Passport seems to be the fastest option if you are in a big rush and don't mind the cost.
4. If your preference is Itari ( not Tari), you need to let the agency in charge of your ID know during the data capture stage else you might have to go through the tedious process of signing affidavits, newspaper publication for name change etc.
5. Finally, a birth certificate would not make the cut as a means of valid ID.

Best of luck.
Frequent Visitor
Tari E Member Since: Aug 17, 2018
Thank you for replying! But just to be clear, are you saying that I can go
on and certify my account with my birth certificate (and of course, a
utility bill)? Because that would be great news for me.
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
No Itari, the birth cert won't come in useful in this verification scenario. A government issued id (not the temporary ones) is suitable and applicable. Like I mentioned, the Int'l passport usually has the fastest turnaround time.
Frequent Visitor
Okeowo A Member Since: Apr 6, 2017

I joined since when it was Odesk but never took it serious as I have a fulltime job, but I realized I wasn't getting jobs till i discovered my profile was on private, to be sincerce I haven't really had much issues, I've only gotten 1 Client after setting my profile to public, because of fulltime job i tend to take few works from Upwork but i haven't experienced being rejected because of my nationaility. In my proposals (Programming) I often explain what they need and sometimes let them know how to go about it incase am not taken or a better solution, the client I worked with said that was what led him to pick me, as other were busy bidding i simply explained how to go about it and a better option.

Hope this helps, and no my earnings are not much Smiley Very Happy 

Solomon C Member Since: May 3, 2017
Hello.

Please, I have been trying to setup my payment method. The challenge I am have is that the swift code I received from my bank is 9digit code but up work requires 8digits.

Please how do I go about this because the two banks I am using gave me 9digits respectively.

Thanks in advance.
Ace Contributor
Akinbode A Member Since: Nov 1, 2016

Hi Solomon,

You don't need to go to your bank to collect swift code. Just use google to search it. Search "your bank name" swift code(For example GTB swift code, you get GTBINGLA). I guess the one given to you in your bank was for that branch and not for the main branch, that is why it is have an extra letter to show the state.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Akinbode A.

Frequent Visitor
Olumide O Member Since: Oct 30, 2017

Hello,

For direct to a local bank account, what's the exchange rate? Is it the prevalent rate or is it the rates that Payoneer charges when withdrawals are made at the ATM?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor
Susan O Member Since: Aug 3, 2017

Hello,

I am on my registration now but the necessary information that I suppose to fill are not available. Really, I dont know where/how to continue. Can you please help me out?

Thanks in anticipation.

Yours faithfully,

Obed Susan