This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

What is the best payment method for freelancers in South Africa?

Highlighted
Sherissa R Member Since: Jun 2, 2016

Hi,

I've been registered on Upwork for some time but have just accepted my first job.  

Any fellow South African freelancers on the forums. I'm interested to know what is your preferred payment method to get paid from UpWork/Odesk/Elance?  Payoneer or Paypal?  Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Frequent Visitor
Jeanelle C Member Since: Nov 15, 2016

Hi

I do not know what the best method is. I just started on Upwork and I'm also from South Africa. Can you tell me what paying method you used, please?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Hi, I've been using PayPal. Haven't had any issues.

Frequent Visitor
Natasha C Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
Hi, how have payments worked for you being based in SA? How does tax work?
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014

Hi Natasha,

When you go to your Settings> Get Paid and click "Add a Payment Method" you'll see options available in your country. Check out this help article for more information.

You may want to talk to a local tax adviser regarding the proper ways to report your income to local tax authorities.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Frequent Visitor
Stacey S Member Since: Jan 26, 2017

Hi i am new to this site. I was hoping to get some help and advice on things? i am in SA. how long does it normally take to recive your first job? 

Frequent Visitor
Zakaria D Member Since: Aug 1, 2016

Hey Fellow Saffa's,

Kinda stumbled onto this thread while searching for something entirely different.

Anyhoo - since I'm here now, thought I'd chime in.

1) I prefer Payoneer for payments. Tried both Paypal & Payoneer. PayPal has a delay from the time you initiate an FNB withdrawal to the funds reaching you. Payoneer is near instant. One drawback with Payoneer will be if you plan on withdrawing cash - allow for about R100 to be lost in the charges. But if you just swipe the card then all is good.

2) As for ways to win your first job on Upwork - I highly recommend you visit this site: **

And sign up for Danny's FREE Upwork hacks. They will give you great advice on how to land your first client. It mainly comes down to how well you stand out from the noise.

What I mean is: Don't just tell the client how good you are - show them (in a context that is similar to the job in question) your work - give them a tip - add some value beforehand. And make it conversational.

Works wonders for me.

Good luck!

Zak

Hi there, do you have to use the Payoneer card or can you withdraw directly to your bank account in SA?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014

Hi Sherissa,

You can find a list of available withdrawal methods you can review and select to set up if you go to Settings > Get Paid page on your account. You can find more information here.

Frequent Visitor
Reuben O Member Since: Nov 24, 2017
Hi Stacey... It depends with your profile
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS