🐈
» Forums » Agencies » Anti-Agency Bias and how to anticipate it
Page options
81d530e6
Community Member

Anti-Agency Bias and how to anticipate it

Hi there!Smiley Very Happy

We are a young startup digital agency, and have founded an agency in Germany as part of our entrepreneurship studies, and have already worked successfully with many local customers. We claim we are young, innovative and flexible, and open to new opportunities and new markets. We are currently considering building our agency on Upwork as well, as this is a very viral platform with many potential areas of activity and customers, and I myself have already had a good experience here as a freelancer.

But now I have read a lot about the aversions many people felt about agencies on Upwork, and I would like to know more about it. I'm not scared to hear your honest opinion and your worst experiences with agencies. Only through this we can anticipate client’s apprehensions to agencies and make sure we deliver the best solutions to the client’s fullest satisfaction.

So: 1. Why clients often want to stay clear of agencies?

2. What are your worst experiences with agencies?

3. Why are there agencies still on Upwork, what advantages do they offer customers?

I would be very grateful for your honest and ruthless opinion. Perhaps that way we can implement our project more successfully on Upwork, but perhaps we also decide against opening an agency afterwards. Thank you so much!Smiley Very Happy

3 REPLIES 3
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Philipp,

Thank you for your message. I work on Upwork's Talent Success team and wanted to share some tips and insight for working as an agency on Upwork.

One common concern we see is from clients who have interviewed one person and then later learn that another person from the agency is actually doing the work. It can help assuage client concerns if you're upfront about who will be doing the work and share that person's background and experience.

As for why do agencies exist, Agencies can provide teams of freelancers to work on different tasks simultaneously. This allows clients to have more complex projects completed by one team, rather than having to find and hire multiple individuals. As an agency, you can position yourself as a "one stop shop" offering complete solutions to clients.

I also pulled together some articles that I think you may find helpful:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
prestonhunter
Community Member

I hired an agency once.

Once.

Hi Preston, thanks for your reply, would you like to share your experience with us? What went wrong?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths