🐈
» Forums » Agencies » Credit Card Limit Issue for Agencies
Page options
d_llanto
Community Member

Credit Card Limit Issue for Agencies

My scenario:

-I'm planning to start an agency here in UpWork. I have a credit card, however the credit limit is only $300 which is set by the bank.

-My 5 team members will have a hourly rate of $4 full-time (40 hours a week) which is a total of $800 weekly.

Now, the Question:

If the total amount of billable hours of my team members ($800) is more than my credit card limit ($300), am I going to be suspended for billing method issue or insufficient fund issue?

I asked my bank if they can increase my $300 credit limit but they said since I'm new card holder. They said I have to build my credit score to approve the increase on my credit card limit and that will take a long time and I already have a discussion with a possible client who is willing to work with us in UpWork under my agency. The client already needs to start the project as soon as possible but I have to make sure that I won't face any problem with having insufficient funds as we go along.

Please advise

3 REPLIES 3
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Daniel L wrote:

My scenario:

-I'm planning to start an agency here in UpWork. I have a credit card, however the credit limit is only $300 which is set by the bank.

-My 5 team members will have a hourly rate of $4 full-time (40 hours a week) which is a total of $800 weekly.

Now, the Question:

If the total amount of billable hours of my team members ($800) is more than my credit card limit ($300), am I going to be suspended for billing method issue or insufficient fund issue?

I asked my bank if they can increase my $300 credit limit but they said since I'm new card holder. They said I have to build my credit score to approve the increase on my credit card limit and that will take a long time and I already have a discussion with a possible client who is willing to work with us in UpWork under my agency. The client already needs to start the project as soon as possible but I have to make sure that I won't face any problem with having insufficient funds as we go along.

Please advise

Hi Daniel,

If I understand your plan correctly, you're looking to bring your team to Upwork and pay them for the work they provide? If you're looking to create an Agency, note that the Agency concept is based on a team of freelancers offering their services to clients, not to the agency owner, and all agency contracts are paid to the agency's account. The agency (not clients) is responsible for paying agency members and payments from agencies to agency members are not facilitated on Upwork.

Regarding using Upwork as a client, to hire freelancers and pay them for the work they provide to you, any billing method issues will be reflected on your account status.

Please do follow up with any questions you might have so we can clarify any confusion and make sure you're using our platform in line with your needs. You can read more about creating and managing an Agency here.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir, 

In creating an agency, do I need to have a credit card linked to the agency account or does the process mimics to as a freelancer account? I'd like to know the billing process within an agency account if a specific card is needed, will a debit card or paypal account suffice? Thanks 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Arianne,

All payments for agency contracts are received in the Agency's account balance, and the agency owner can control and divide the earnings as per your agreement with your team members. Please check this help article about Agency Finances.

As for the withdrawal method, the agency owner should add his withdrawal account to his Upwork account.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths