🐈
» Forums » Agencies » Re: Do exclusive Agency members choose their ...
Page options
allenisaacson
Community Member

Do exclusive Agency members choose their rate when submitting proposals?

Hi, all. We have run a small agency for some time now (just 2 business managers). We are now looking to expand and bring in an exclusive Agency member. I have a couple questions I need answered to ensure we work out an agreeable compensation arrangement for the freelancer.

I already know that Agency members will see their profile rate. However, are they expected to set their proposed rate when submitting a proposal? Two cases that need to be answered:

1. Hourly. Assume the Freelancer is an exclusive Agency member. Their profile rate is $X/hr. When they submit a proposal for an hourly contract, can they change or set the rate proposed to the client or is it automatically set at X? 
    • Who sets the rate proposed to the client for individual proposals? Does it default to $X/hr, and can the Freelancer change it?
    • I assume as a Manager, I can revise their individual proposal to a different rate if we wish to increase or decrease the amount charged to the client. Is this correct?
    • I already know that the Freelancer cannot see the rate charged to the client in "My Jobs."
  2. Fixed Rate. Who sets the fixed rate for the proposal? Does the Freelancer set it or does the proposal somehow pass through a Manager first who approves/sets the rate?

Obviously, I'd like to give my new team member autonomy in submitting proposals, but we feel it is important to understand the process. As a Manager, I need to ensure they are sending proposals at a rate that is acceptable.

I appreciate your thoughts and answers. Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Allen,

Exclusive agency members can submit proposals and provide the rate for the job; however, if the rate submitted along with the proposal requires to be edited, exclusive agency members do not have this access and this can only be done by the business manager or the agency owner. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JoanneP

Hi Allen,

Business managers can submit a proposal on behalf of any agency member. They can edit or withdraw all agency proposals and accept or decline all offers. Agency members can also submit proposals themselves, which will be binding on the agency. All proposals will draw from the agency's collective Connects balance.

In order to do hourly contracts, you need to have a profile for each freelancer you assign to the project. For fixed-price contracts, you can submit your proposal with the Business Manager’s profile and then assign freelancers to work on the project as needed. Some clients prefer for you to let them know your agency members will be doing the work and to give them some information on the freelancer(s) that will be doing the work. 

Freelancers do have the freedom to edit the rate unless you have discussed the rate before the freelancer has submitted their proposal. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks for the reply. You provided a lot of information that I saw in the Support page, and I'm not sure you answered all of my very specific questions, but I appreciate the effort!

Can you clarify this statement in more detail?

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Freelancers do have the freedom to edit the rate unless you have discussed the rate before the freelancer has submitted their proposal. 

Hi Allen,

I apologize for the confusion. I meant to say that freelancers can submit a proposal and provide a rate for the job unless of course, you have discussed with the freelancer as to how much the rate should be before they submitted. As the agency owner, you have access to edit the rate submitted by the agency member.  

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for clarifying, Joanne.

If I understand you correctly, the Exclusive freelancer, when submitting a proposal, can edit the rate proposed just like any other freelancer. When you say, "unless of course, you have discussed with the freelancer as to how much the rate should be before they submitted," I assume you mean by agreement with the freelancer? Therefore, I can't somehow lock their rate and prevent them from editing the rate when submitting the proposal; I should instead rely on my agreement with the freelancer to ask them propose a certain rate.

In any case, I understand from your reply that I can subsequently revise their proposal and change the rate if necessary. Do I receive any sort of automatic notification that my Agency member has submitted a proposal, or should I rely on myself to check their submitted proposals manually from time to time?

I appreciate your thoughtful replies!

Hi Allen,

Exclusive agency members cannot edit the rates on their own, and only the agency manager can set the rates for them. As an agency owner, you will receive notifications of activities related to the agency including proposals. If the freelancer applies to a job post on behalf of the agency, you can find this under Connects History and on the list of proposals submitted. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I'm starting to get confused, Joanne. Previously, you said:

I meant to say that freelancers can submit a proposal and provide a rate for the job.

Your latest reply says:

Exclusive agency members cannot edit the rates on their own, and only the agency manager can set the rates for them. 

These statements seem to contradict each other. I want to clarify my question: I'm asking, specifically, when my Exclusive agency member clicks, "Submit Proposal," will it allow them to type in the hourly rate for that individual proposal?

Question #2: If I want the Exclusive freelancer to submit a fixed-price proposal, do they type in the fixed price for that individual proposal? (Please assume that I do not want to send any proposals from my manager profile.)

I hope we can clarify my misunderstanding, and I thank you for your time.

Hi Allen,

Exclusive agency members can submit proposals and provide the rate for the job; however, if the rate submitted along with the proposal requires to be edited, exclusive agency members do not have this access and this can only be done by the business manager or the agency owner. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for the clarification. I assume it is the same for fixed-price projects. Accepted as solution. Have a great weekend!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths