🐈
» Forums » Support » Mpesa Withdrawal
Page options
b6785031
Community Member

Mpesa payment delayed

Hello Upwork,

Yesterday I received an email stating that my weekly payment had been processed and that funds was transferred to my Mpesa account, its been more than 33 hours and I haven't received any money. Mpesa said that the issue is on your side that they can only follow up if Upwork was given a transaction reference number by them. Kindly assist.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Hiram and Kunule,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your M-Pesa withdrawal. Usually, your payment is transferred immediately. However, there are occasions when it may take up to 24 hours on weekdays or next business day on weekends. If it has been more than 24 hours and one business day, please contact M-Pesa.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

449 REPLIES 449
b_kimuyu
Community Member

Hi 

I withdrew money through Mpesa 8 hours ago and it did not reflect and it confirmed the process being successful after 3 hours of waiting for my account to be funded there was nothing, I later raised a ticket #27361798 that after 1 hour they confirmed it has been solved but still having the same issue..

I withdrew money yesterday from my Upwork account but it has not yet reached my Mpesa account. It's weird to me since Upwork shows that the disbursement has been done.

Hi Nina I also have the same problem as Mathenge.

My withdrawal has not reached my Mpesa.Kindly assist

Hi Asha, 

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I reached out to the team handling your case and shared your report. One of our agents will follow up with you on your ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
sheilawangari
Community Member

Hello,

It's been 24hours since I withdrew money from Upwork to Mpesa but I am yet to receive the funds. What could be the issue?

Thank you as you look into it

Same issue here. I have even contacted Support and nothing is forthcoming. I find it very unusual especially since it has taken so long to hear from support.

Hey Upwork.

I'm writing to notify you of a delay in withdrawing funds via the MPESA payment platform. Upon withdrawing, I get a 'Your payment has been processed' notification but the funds do not reflect in my MPESA account. I have contacted MPESA support and they informed me that the payment is in a pending status from your end. 

I have also learnt that it's a widespread issue affecting several freelancers using that payment option. So, in a way, I'm writing on behalf of many who are in a similar predicament. I have raised a ticket which hasn't been forthcoming.

I’m facing the same problem. I initiated funds withdrawal from Upwork to MPESA (the mobile money transfer system used in Kenya).  I got a message that my money has been processed at 12:05 am (GMT + 3:00 hrs, corresponding Moscow time). However, up to now, almost 12 hrs later, I haven’t received my money. Normally, it usually takes no more than 30 minutes to do so including on weekends. What may be the problem?

Hi Alfred and Gladys, 

Please know that there are occasions when it may take up to 24 hours on weekdays or the next business days on weekends for your withdrawal to show on your M-Pesa account. Since it is weekend now you will probably receive your funds on Monday. If it has been more than 24 hours and one business day since your withdrawal, let us know and we will assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nikola,

I'm afraid that this is not very helpful. When you say that we might receive pay "probably on Monday", then there is a problem - this leaves a lot of room for uncertainty. Previously, I would withdraw money even on weekends and still get money within a short time. Is there a change in policy that we're not aware of? In other words wouldn't it just be better to tell people outright that money withdrawn over the weekend will be processed on Monday? Upwork's payment processor, Transfast, used to be so fast, what happened?...has Upwork changed payment processors? Or maybe Upwork needs to look for another payment processor? I think that's where the problem is.

I think there's a very serious issue that we are not being made aware of.
Why should we wait for so long without a clear explanation? It's been well
over 24 hours for me and still waiting.

Hi Alfred and Winnie,

I'm sorry to hear that both of you are experiencing delays in receiving your funds. I'd like to reiterate, as Nikola mentioned, that there are instances where it may take up to 24 hours or the next business day on weekends, for the transfers to be received. I can also see that you've been in contact with our support team recently and they should be getting back to you as soon as possible in order to assist you further. Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience this could've caused, and thank you for your patience.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
aliyas
Community Member

They changed from transfast to NCBA. That's where all the delays come from.
zenithpro
Community Member

Indeed, Transfast use to be so fast - true to their name. Who are NCBA? As a long term solution, I think Upwork should simply look for a more reliable Payment Processor. With Transfast, money at Upwork was as good as cash. Just press the 'withdraw to mpesa' button and voila, within 30 minutes you have your cash. You could even promise someone to wait for an hour or so (e.g. relatives at home) for you to send them some money and it would happen. Now it seems there's so much uncertainty. Its frustrating.

Hello, i made an upwork mpesa withdrawal and have not received the funds yet. Normally it takes only 1 hour to process tha funds. Can you please help me with that. Thanks

Spoiler

Hi Purity,

Please be patient up to 24 hours for the funds to be loaded on your account. If you haven't received your funds after 24 hours, feel free to follow up here so that our team can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Unfortunately, this is the same answer you keep giving us. Every. Single. Time! Nothing changes. Yes, I haven't received mine either. How come this keeps on happening? Shouldn't you guys have solved this issue already seeing how many and how often we complain about it?

Hi John,

I understand your frustration with this. I would like to clarify that we can initiate a trace (depending on the method used) on a transaction after 24 hours. 
Sometimes there's can be a delay due to the processing process of the banks and that is why I`m advising to be patient up to 24 hours for the funds to be loaded. 
If you`re experiencing delays with your withdrawal as well, please follow up here after 24 hours so that we can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I'm yet to receive mine as well. I've raised a ticket also. Hope you guys got yours.
mercyt
Community Member

I dint receive eitherSmiley Frustrated

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mercy,

I'm sorry to hear your withdrawn earnings still haven't reflected on your account. I checked and can confirm that your withdrawal was just successfully processed on our end. There are times when withdrawals to MPESA may take up to 24-hours. If it has been more than 24 hours and one business day, please reach back to us so that we can initiate a trace for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
stevemk
Community Member

I made three withdrawals today via Mpesa and I am yet to receive the money. Is MPESA facing issues today?

stevemk
Community Member

I have initiated three withdrawals through MPESA today and have received none, several hours after. Is MPESA experiencing issues today?

Hello, am experiencing this problem too,
The payment was processed 15 hours ago but am yet to receive the money in mpesa account.Can someone help me please
shaart
Community Member

Hi guys,

I withdrew funds via MPESA and got a confirmation at 11:27 AM that the process was complete. But it's now midnight and I have not received the funds. Someone help. How long will it take? 😞

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sharon and Evans,

Please allow up to 24 hours for your withdrawn earnings to reflect on your account. Reach back to us if it has been more than 24 hours so that we can initiate a trace for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

5 days later and have not received my funds and no reversal. How can it take 5 days to trace a payment processed within minutes. I suggest upwork should revisit tracing methods as it is affecting us negatively. The process is too slow.

Hi Purity, 

I'm sorry for the delay. Please know that your concern has been escalated to the correct team. They will update you directly on your ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
stevemk
Community Member

Hi Joanne Marie P,

I have not been updated since Saturday and therefore dont know the status. And I need these funds now.

3d26169e
Community Member

I am experiencing the same problem now,but am confidence support will look into it & rectify the delay

mercyt
Community Member

it has been more than 24 hours
ceecri
Community Member

It's been 48 hours since I withdrew funds from Upwork and I am yet to receive my money. Worse off, no one is bothering to reply to my messages on the ticket I opened.

Hi Gliceria,

I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for the issue you are experiencing with receiving your funds. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
stevemk
Community Member

the same happened to me but upwork say they have initiated a trace so I am waiting.

Hi Mercy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with initiating a trace for your funds. You can access your tickets on this page.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
stevemk
Community Member

Looks like there was an issue with MPESA today, I can see a number of complaints here concerning delays in receiving funds from Mpesa. Why cant Upwork contact the payment processor to seek an explanation. This will save us the agony of waiting for funds.

Hi Goran V,

Please help I made three withdrawals yesterday and one today all via Mpesa and am yet to receive the funds. Please check if something is wrong with Mpesa. I need these funds as soon as possible. I have posted else where on this forum but no response up until now.

stevemk
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

Thanks, but as you can see here on this forum, many of us who withdrew funds through Mpesa yesterday never received the money. Please check if there is an issue with Mpesa so we stop using it until the issue is solved.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that in most cases, your payment transfers immediately. However, there are occasions when it may take up to 24 hours on weekdays or the next business days on weekends. If it has been more than 24 hours and one business day, let us know so that we can assist you further. You can find more information in this help article.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths