🐈
» Forums » Agencies » Will it violate any Upwork guidelines if we b...
Page options
aman_yullux
Community Member

Will it violate any Upwork guidelines if we bid on projects whose qualifications we don't meet?

I've heard that this happened with someone in the past where their account was blocked for sending proposals on projects whose qualifications were not met by the freelancer. It was either job location or job success rate. 

I find this strange because if Upwork doesn't allow this , it shouldn't allow people to send proposals on such projects.

4 REPLIES 4
robin_hyman
Community Member

Aman A wrote:

I've heard that this happened with someone in the past where their account was blocked for sending proposals on projects whose qualifications were not met by the freelancer. It was either job location or job success rate. 

I find this strange because if Upwork doesn't allow this , it shouldn't allow people to send proposals on such projects.

Blocking and suspending are 2 different things.  A client can reject a proposal for any reason but they don't have the power to suspend you.  They do have the power to block your particular profile and you have the ability to check off that you don't want to receive invitations from the client again.

You can bid on projects whose qualifications you don't meet.  Whether that is JSS, location, # of hours worked, $ earned, etc. 

Where did you hear this information?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I have never seen any evidence that Upwork will not allow any freelancer in good standing to submit a proposal on any project.

I sometimes ignore a client's requirements for me to be in a specific US state if I think I am otherwise highly-qualified for their project. (However, I'd expect a project with a requirement that the freelancer be based in the US is unlikely to be won by a freelancer located in Laos, Yemen or Outer Mongolia. But you never know...)

And a freelancer with a Job Success Score in the 80s should not avoid submitting a proposal on a project that's a perfect fit but "requires" a minimum score of 90. (Upwork has never told us why the default minimum is 90 or why a freelancer with a JSS of, say, 88 should be considered as sub-par by clients compared to a freelancer with a JSS of 90.) 

Will L wrote:

And a freelancer with a Job Success Score in the 80s should not avoid submitting a proposal on a project that's a perfect fit but "requires" a minimum score of 90. (Upwork has never told us why the default minimum is 90) 

It isn't and hasn't been for a long time, neither in searches nor when setting up a job post.

So if a job-post has a JSS preference, the client proactively set it. It was not set by default.

It is good to know Upwork makes useful changes in its protocols from time to time.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths