This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Jamaica

Highlighted
Shardae H Member Since: Jul 16, 2014
For all those who are Jamaican and any other Caribbean country please join and share you experience of odesk and the clients.
20 REPLIES 20
dwhyte h Member Since: Dec 8, 2008
I've been a odesk freelancer since the summer of 2010 and it works perfectly for me. Flexible hours, plus I'm earning $US currency, so no complaints here. Dwhyte from Spain Town
Frequent Visitor
Marian W Member Since: Oct 9, 2014
Hi, I am new to oDesk. I have realized that there are not many Jamaicans on here. I would really appreciate some tips/ help on landing jobs on here. Thanks in advance.
Ace Contributor
Gayon B Member Since: Sep 7, 2016

Hi marian,

Yes that is true, but do continue to apply for jobs and eventually you will land one.

Firstly, you need to have a great profile. Try to have your profile as updated as possible, and always ensure it is up to date as you learn new skills every day so make sure to incorporate those on there. 

Secondly, you do research on your client before applying. Read reviews from other freelancers who have worked with that client before to see what they said about them. Also look for a name. Some freelancers post their client's name in their feedback and this really helps you in your proposal when applying to personalize and wow your future client. Also I always like to tick that option that says payment is verified in the left side of your page when searching for jobs. Non verified clients may be legitimate too but I like to be on the safer side.

Thirdly, after you've decided this is the job you want to apply to, ensure you write a winning proposal to secure that job. If you know the clients name make sure to mention it starting off with for example "Hi John" to break the ice instead of dear sir/madam. Tell your client why you are a great fit for this position and why they should hire you instead of any one else. Emphasize your skills, any successful projects/portfolio items and experience.

Remember Marian, you may only get interviewed at first for 1/10 jobs you apply to, but doing these 1/10 jobs to the best of your ability and getting your deserved 5star rating can lead to so much more in the long run(The bigger picture). 

I hope this helped somewhat Smiley Happy.

Regards,

Gayon

(Optimistic Upwork Freelancer)

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." Henry Ford
Frequent Visitor
Ashna B Member Since: Jul 15, 2016

How do i join this group

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014

Hi Ashna,

Please, click the button to join the group on this page:

Screenshot_11.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Frequent Visitor
Vernon D Member Since: Oct 25, 2017

Took a look at your profile. You a di real Boss! Big up yourself.

John M Member Since: Sep 10, 2016
Well gt our profile to 100% first, then you start step 2 wellcome to the journey, I came new too so I just passed 2 test already and I got to 100% on profile
John M Member Since: Sep 10, 2016
Well get your profile to 100% first, then you start step 2 wellcome to the journey, I came new too so I just passed 2 test already and I got to 100% on profile
Ace Contributor
Gayon B Member Since: Sep 7, 2016

Hi Shardae,

I am Jamaican and I have been active on Upwork about two months straight now, even though I joined more than a year now. Upwork excites me every time I come on here searching for that "perfect" job. I feel like it serves a great purpose in the hiring world and so many people benefit from working on here. My first job was a scam, and my second job interview the client interviewed me and just disappeared lol. 

But overall I have landed three jobs since then and I feel very optimistic about the future as I will be looking for bigger and better with the more experience I gather.

I am constantly updating my profile because every day I learn something new, a new skill and try to find new innovative tools to master. I apply to a lot of jobs on a weekly basis, I don't get as much feedback as i think I would, but I believe that is just because I have not received enough work to make my profile stand out even more but eventually I will.

I aim to get a "Rising Talent" status and move up to "Top Rated" or anyone I get first lol. 

Keep upgrading yourself on here and keep seeking and you will eventually find is my advice to you. The right jobs are here for you, and I see from your profile you have done a great job on the jobs you've done so far.

Regards,

Gayon

Optimistic Upwork Freelancer

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." Henry Ford
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS