This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Upwork fees in Schedule C

Highlighted
Nilotpal M Member Since: Feb 25, 2018

Please could someone tell me in which line of Schedule C are the Upwork service fees included (as deductions)? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014

Hi Nilotpal,

Other freelancers may share their tips on how they report their Upwork income and expenses here. You can also talk to a local tax adviser about it and check out the recording of the Tax-Wise Webinar we hosted recently for U.S. freelancers here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016

This isn't legal advice or anything, but I personally put them on line 10, commissions and fees

Thanks, Tiffany. That's just what I wanted to know.

Nilo

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015

@NILOTPAL M wrote:

Please could someone tell me in which line of Schedule C are the Upwork service fees included (as deductions)? Thanks.

Personally, I report my net income from Upwork with the fees already deducted, using my bank records of deposits for my paper trail.

Others report their gross income from Upwork as listed on the "Earnings by Client" report, and then deduct the fees on the Schedule C as Tiffany describes.

Either way is fine according to several accountants I have consulted.

This is also a very useful resource for freelancers doing their own taxes: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/beginners-tax-guide-for-the-self-employed...

And some info from the IRS as well: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employed-individuals-tax-center

Thanks very much, Jess, for your advice and the helpful links.

Best regards,

Nilo

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS