cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Thanks Upwork for complicating my existence

Highlighted
Gail S Member Since: Oct 26, 2018
31 of 327

I have just tried to do this link and my paypal account has been deactivated due to 'names do not match'

I have no clue which names they are referring to or how to fix this.

Please can someone help.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Valerie S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
32 of 327

I got the email too but I never trust clicking on an email. So I went to my payments page and there was a notification / banner there as well. I did it. I don't know why I had to do it, I was confused too. I

I agree, we should have had some sort of announcement.

And I certainly hope it was legitimate! Yikes!

Highlighted
Marites O Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
33 of 327

Fingers crossed! Yikes, it is! Scary!

Highlighted
Marites O Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
34 of 327

I didn't received a notif in my account, only in my email. That is why I am so scared when it asked me my Paypal password. I canceled it.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Joseph D Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
35 of 327

This seems to be another silly attempt by Upwork for additional security. While it adds no additional security it is just added protection for them. Another check box that they can add to the process. .

However, what they don't account for is that the majority of freelancers probably do not have their Upwork name the same as their Paypal email. 

Another silly requirement complicating the process for no real reason. 

Highlighted
Melissa D Member Since: Mar 26, 2020
36 of 327

I got the same email. After verifying it was a valid account, I proceeded to do the PayPal setup on my account. But surprise! Now it says I can't use my PayPal account because the names do not match, The issue is, the names DO match. 100%. I'm waiting for support answer on this now.

Highlighted
Beth R Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
37 of 327

What I'd like to know is where did Upwork get a list of PayPal accounts to match to freelancer accounts? 

I do have two different PayPal accounts (as allowed), one merchant and one personal (this one has my name attached to it)  but the one I use as my merchant account is tied to two different emails I use for that account. Neither one carries my name. Not everyone uses their name in their emails accounts. 

What does this mean going forward?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
38 of 327

Melissa D wrote:

I got the same email. After verifying it was a valid account, I proceeded to do the PayPal setup on my account. But surprise! Now it says I can't use my PayPal account because the names do not match, The issue is, the names DO match. 100%. I'm waiting for support answer on this now.

Same here!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Victor S Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
39 of 327

Thanks Upwork for complicating my existence. I'm going through the situation that Payoneer has generated, where my funds were frozen, yes I know that this has nothing to do with you. Now you make me link my paypal account with my upwork account, which I have done without problem ... and now you tell me that in 3 business days I will be able to use the option to send payments to Paypal...Seriously thanks...

Melissa D Member Since: Mar 26, 2020
40 of 327

Same. What a timing to do this.

In my case my PayPal was denied because the names "didn't match" even tho they DO match. So now I have to wait for manual review and more days for an answer (and probably those extra days if it gets approved)

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS