Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Action Needed for Freelancers to Update PayPal info

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 262

We recently updated our PayPal flow to ensure your PayPal accounts are more secure when receiving payments with Upwork. We are asking all freelancers that use PayPal to update their Upwork payment information before July 7th to avoid any payment interruptions.

Updating your account is very simple, and will help ensure the safe transfer of your funds. We will be notifying all active freelancers with a PayPal withdrawal method through email and with an alert bar on your “Get Paid” page. 

To get started, you will need to reactivate your current PayPal account. You can do this by clicking the link to connect your PayPal from the alert bar or email. Alternatively, you can click the “reactivate” link displayed on your PayPal payment method on the Get Paid page.  Note that when completing this connection to PayPal there is a 3-day security hold. 

Follow the steps below for guidance on how:

1. Click reactivate under your current PayPal account or click "connect your PayPal account to Upwork" in the alert message shown on your "Get Paid" page

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.59.11 PM.png

2. To Connect your PayPal to Upwork you will be prompted to re-add your PayPal account, click continue.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.59.34 PM.png

3. You will then be prompted to re-add your PayPal by clicking Set Up

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.59.46 PM.png

4. This will redirect you to the PayPal login where you will then securely connect your PayPal account to Upwork.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.59.59 PM.png

5. Log in with your PayPal email and password and allow Upwork access to your basic non-financial account information- your name, email, and address, account verification status and PayPal ID. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.00.11 PM.png

6. You will then be redirected to Upwork and you’re all set!

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.00.28 PM.png

Freelancers will be required to update this information to use PayPal on Upwork. We will be notifying active freelancers via email, along with a pop-up displaying on your Get Paid page. You can find more details in the Help Center article.

Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Joseph D Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
2 of 262

Updating your account is not simple if you have a different paypal address. This is silly. Just another comlication with no added security.  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Joseph D Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
3 of 262

I have noticed on other threads that you making exceptions to this requirement for people not matching names because of language, etc.

If exceptions are being made and I have had an established account for 10 years why am I being forced to create a new Paypal account?

And what happens if my name is not available?

Highlighted
Tom L Member Since: May 30, 2015
4 of 262

Hi Joseph,

I feel your pain, I have been on Upwork since 2008.

Maybe you just have to legally change your name to work here now Smiley LOL

When I started on Upwork, well oDesk in the good old days, I just signed up a Tom, not Thomas, which is my Paypal.

That said, I did contact support this morning and asked to have my name on Upwork changed, they have all my ID requests from the 1000 times before.

They have done it for me and my Paypal is good now.

I don't often say it, but good job support team, thanks.

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
5 of 262

Hi all,

Rest assured that we are currently reviewing and processing name mismatch errors as quickly as possible. Apologies for the delay.

However, to avoid a name mismatch error, you must make sure that your verified name on Upwork matches the name on your PayPal account. If you haven't verified your name yet, to avoid further delay, be sure that your profile name matches the name on your PayPal account.

Also, please note that when reconnecting your PayPal account you will not be able to withdraw to the account until after a 3-day hold. If you need your funds right away, we recommend that you do not reconnect until after you withdraw those funds. We understand this is an inconvenience so we will not deactivate accounts that have not been reconnected until July 7th, giving you time to plan your withdrawals around this 3-day hold.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Nikita A Member Since: Jul 17, 2017
6 of 262

Hi Aleksandar.

Thanks for quick fix this issue with mismatch in manual mode.

Best wishes

Highlighted
Gail S Member Since: Oct 26, 2018
7 of 262

My Account has just been deactivated because 'names do not match'

I have been on Upwork for 6 years with verifed ID etc

Please can someone help 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 262

Hi Gail,

I checked and can confirm you completed the process correctly. If you have received a name mismatch error when reconnecting your PayPal account, rest assured that we are currently reviewing and processing name mismatch errors as quickly as possible.

To avoid a name mismatch error, you must make sure that your 
verified name on Upwork matches the name on your PayPal account. If you haven't verified your name yet, to avoid further delay, be sure that your profile name matches the name on your PayPal account."

Highlighted
Gail S Member Since: Oct 26, 2018
9 of 262
I cannot get to see the info on what MY VERIFIED name is.
I am clicking on the link and it goes to the How Can We Help You Page which
doesn't help me
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 262

Hi Gail,

In case you're referring to the link in my comment, the link should be directing you to the related Help article. I'd advise you to go to your account > select your photo in the upper-right corner > select Settings > Contact Info tab > select the pencil icon in the "Account" section and add your last name. Let me know if you need further guidance.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS