Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Additional review for new freelancers that want to join Upwork

Maricel G Member Since: Feb 1, 2018
11 of 111
yes sir it's so positive.
Jennifer M Member Since: Feb 14, 2016
12 of 111

Preston I have to disagree with you on this. There are a lot of more people than you think on Upwork creating a life for themselves. I just wanted to share that.

Ademir R Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
13 of 111

Too bad. Ill go **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Or somewhere where they want my money. Good luck rejecting customers.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 111

Ademir,

I see that you already have a ticket about the issue you are experiencing trying to verify your email. It's not related to the topic of this thread and we'll reach out to you directly via that ticket to assist with the issue you are having.

Sorry about the confusion.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Anais O Member Since: Mar 10, 2018
15 of 111

But I’ve succeeded on this platform in the past and that was before I graduated :0

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
16 of 111

@Garnor, Thank you for sharing the news with us. It's great to see so much being done to make Upwork the best outsourcing platform in the world. But -- and I know you won't be surprised to hear me present a but... -- I do wonder whether the process described will have the intended effect of raising the level of professionalism. Here are my concerns: a) When you say that if "the freelancer's skills and experience are not a match with the projects that are available on Upwork, then [you] will send them a notice informing them of this" have you also thought about the quality of the projects available on the site? I'm a great fan of the platform and most of its clients, but there's no way of denying that it's a bidding platform, i.e. the lowest price usually wins. When I read RFPs stating "I wish the price was $3" or see projects initially being offered at higher but later re-posted with lower budgets, I do wonder which freelancer skills and experience are being sought. b) I am also sorry to hear that talented but inexperienced individuals will no longer be able to apply for jobs in areas they are in fact eminently qualified for. The reason why many people turn to freelancing is that they are not being welcomed in jobs markets geared towards employee poaching. "If you don't have five years experience working in a job exactly the same/similar to this one or at one of our competitors (delete as appropriate), then don't bother applying." -- Yeah, sure, but if I worked in one job for five years I might not want to leave unless I had to, right? The wonderfully egalitarian and pioneering spirit of Elance is no longer. I see that and accept it. I'll continue to support Upwork. But cater to every client scam...? Sorry.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
17 of 111

Thanks Alexandra. 

a. Yes, we continue to look at projects posted on the site and will continue our efforts to attract and promote even more good ones. This effort here is specifically regarding new freelancers to Upwork.

b. We are not saying talented, yet inexperienced freelancers will be unable to join and submit proposals. Skilled professionals will continue to be allowed to join and as is the case today, will be unrestricted from submitting proposals across categories and for any jobs they are interested in. We are essentially adding an extra step to joining the marketplace so that clients and freelancers can be more successful in their efforts here.

Community Guru
Heaven H Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
18 of 111

@Garnor M wrote:
Skilled professionals will continue to be allowed to join and as is the case today, will be unrestricted from submitting proposals across categories and for any jobs they are interested in.

For some reason, I thought that submitting proposals for projects outside of one's specialty/specialties affected the JSS. It is a factor in eligibility for the Rising Talent Program, though:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063228-Become-a-Rising-Talent

"Regularly submit proposals to projects relevant to your skill set"

Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
19 of 111

This is a good idea. Those who may be initially rejected will go ahead and research more about working on Upwork before attempting to enter the site again. From where I come from, countless individuals want to work online (due to reasons like schedule flexibility, working at home, etc.) but have no idea how it works or what to offer. 

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 111

While you are at it? Could you look at 'freelancers' who bid on contracts and then farm it out (as agencies) to others at a lower price? I see many such.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS