Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Additional review for new freelancers that want to join Upwork

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
31 of 111

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

[…]

Because supply exceeds demand, which is an explicit criterion they will apply to particular skill markets.

Because Upwork cannot move upmarket in the online work world without reinforcing its credibility as a supplier of credible contractors.

And it's really not either/or. Upwork has ongoing programs to promote good faith and successful outcomes. We generally only see their actions in the contractor realm. And yes, Upwork will probably always start with giving clients the benefit of the doubt, because it can't afford to turn away money.

Best,

Michael

And, probably, also because Upwork is a gigantic source of data - they know very well which skills/jobs are in high demand, and so they'll be more interested in having freelancers equipped with those skills...

Ace Contributor
Armela C Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
32 of 111

Dear  Jess C,

You also have a  point there!  It can  also increase fraud, identity  (also known as)  aka. The mere fact that a clause in the  Disclosure  Agreement   (in  filing a  Resume)  usually says:... 

..."you  declare that you  have  fully  disclosed all  information and/or did not  omit  any  information  or  educational,  affiliations,  that  will violate  the Statutes  of Fraud".

any stricter  policy  can and will register  in   a  survey,  1.  Sentiments of applicants regarding the site,   2. Have you  been discriminated  or feels   you have been deprived  of an opportunity to get hired? 3.  Do  you trust  a site  when they say "their current  projects do  not  fit a possible match to your qualifications?  

So, to approach the management will consider  Full Disclosure of Client Job Posting  (which  is not possible for some non-Upwork member  or Conflict of Interest  issues.  

SCREENING is  the best  policy , and a stricter screening at that.

ARMELA Y  CAMARA (TM)

Ace Contributor
Armela C Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
33 of 111

SETTING THE CATEGORIES  AND SUB CATEGORIES  for  New Comers  and Openly Saying it

KNOWING How it works  Portion:  

LIKE  SPONSORED  JOBS  (under  Escrowship)

Some jobs   or employment funds are pre-paid by  lobby groups, charity organizations, etc.

So these jobs  when they are  technically given to  a first group, they may evolve and handle their job postings  that way! 

From the Admin part, if  they  can open an account like that, follow thru, and under  escrowship principle,  administer  the   whole project but  with sets of  disclosures and Efficiency  Standards!

Ooops  I  should  really  be  an Upwork  Consultant already!  LOL, probably   my Consultancy Admin Budget can come  from  this1  (smiles and muses).  Thats what I do,.  Pls refer  to my Concepts,  creation of employment   is  part  of  how I conceptualize,  So,  when at a  Job Market, I  sure  hope  to see a  fast turn-over   of Projects.   But not unresponsive  Clients on candidacy. (Scratches  the  head and minces!)

ARMELA Y CAMARA (tm)

Erin A Member Since: Feb 8, 2016
34 of 111

I am seeing a LOT of negative reaction to this, and wanted to share my experience... I just completed the process. I have some experience working online, but am new to this sort of format. I spent the lion´s share of my day today on my profile. I did my research. I read articles on the subject on this site, perused to information on the forums, and put a lot of time into the process. That said, I know it to be a work in progress, which I will tweak with experience and new information. I completed ALL sections. I have a profile picture. My skill set and experience level are marketable and competitive, at least to a degree. I took several tests, achieved high scores on them all.... and my profile was approved and posted in about an hour´s time. 

I had zero issues with the process. I think, if one puts in the effort to learn what is required of an applicant, those who are competitive to the marketplace should have no problems at all. And really, what industry does not favor applicants who have prepared themselves? I did spend about a week gathering information on the online freelancing community, but seriously, there is a wealth of information readily available, and without cost on the internet. 

It is a matter of putting in effort and a bit of preparation. Neither of which seems exorbitant when entering upon a career. 

Just my opinion and experience, but I really found the whole thing painless and actually appreciate the screening. If my profile had been hopeless, then it would have been an exercise in futility at any rate... 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
35 of 111

Erin,

Exactly! I think this is a good move to stop the people who are signing up with profiles of:

I am a work at home mommy without any skills please hire me so I can sit and home and work while my kids are screaming in the background. I have not finished school but worked at the local burger place for 3 months.

I too though worry about the algos here as they aren't well known for being accurate. But do feel it is in the right direction and should be painless for those who have some form of skills and would do well working as a freelancer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
36 of 111

I've had time to reflect on this initiative, and here's why I think the quality of clients and jobs matters. If, as stated, the objective is to match "freelancer’s skills and experience" with available projects, and a large number of available projects are low budget specifying entry-level skill, sham (in the sense of no one ever being hired), or outright scams, then it follows preference will be given to freelancers that match those projects. How will that benefit Upwork or its legitimate clients and freelancers?

37 of 111

John:

Don't over-think or apply an overly literal interpretation to Upwork's precise language regarding matching contractors to clients' posted jobs.

This new initiative is about preventing a deluge of low-quality contractors.

A gentle way to do this is to reference available jobs.

But this initiative is not really about clients' jobs.

The quality and nature of clients' jobs is also important, but that is not what this additional screening initiative focuses on.

Upwork is not going to look at the broad spectrum of client jobs, notice that some of them are scams which shouldn't be here, and try to increase the number of contractors who are appropriate for those "jobs."

Upwork simply wants to ensure that people who create new contractor profiles are ready to work within the Upwork environment and will not drag the platform down.

Raising the average quality of the contractors within the Upwork system WILL RAISE the average quality of job postings. Not instantly. But over time. When typical Upwork contractors encountered by clients are more likely to be professional, polite, authentic people with the ability to communicate effectively, this will increase client satisfaction and attract additional quality clients.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
38 of 111

@Preston H wrote:

Upwork is not going to look at the broad spectrum of client jobs, notice that some of them are scams which shouldn't be here, and try to increase the number of contractors who are appropriate for those "jobs." 

That may well be, but to my knowledge no one from Upwork has stated so. Since much of the screening would be done by algorithms, an algorithm would have to detect scam jobs in order to ignore them. If Upwork could create an algorithm to do so, I would think they would use it to prevent scam jobs from appearing in the first place.

39 of 111

This is an old topic on a fait accompli so perhaps no one will read this, but I'm curious if Upwork has a statistic on what percentage of freelancers who are notified that the marketplace does not have opportunities for them succeed in obtaining approval after resubmitting with different skills? Is it zero, infinitesimal, or something less than astronomical odds? And if it *is* practically zero, why not add a note to the notice along the lines of "if you resubmit with different skills, the odds of success are less than 1 in a 1000 (or whatever it actually might be)"?

40 of 111

it become painless if the profile is been attented to by a real person not by a robot.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS