cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Addressing accounts that don’t show work activity

Sergiy P Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
21 of 129

Hello Vladimir,

Really?) But we had such a nice chat with Rene. You are deleting all the comments and posts that can compromises. Whats the deal? Don't I even deserve a respond after all the years I worked here, money I've earned you. What else was taken to account? Amount of money you company ears? Is it to small? I would like to know what is a procedure of re-activating account, if there is any. Or you just suspend account permanently? What should be done to make activate it again? Is there a time limit for a ban? I would really like to know all the answers. btw, the comment was not deleted. It is still on my facebook page.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 129

Sergiy, in order to prevent anyone from unfairly bypassing our guidelines, we cannot release the specific numbers. Be assured we do not take action based on isolated incidents of unsuccessful proposals. Only in the unusual case we find a freelancer has been repeatedly submitting many proposals but not winning jobs (or winning few), we take action.

Those freelancers who do get suspended are directly notified and informed how they can submit an appeal. The appeal is reviewed by our Trust and Safety team. If it's accepted, the account is reinstated. If not, the account will remain suspended.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Mohamed A Member Since: Dec 21, 2017
23 of 129

u've to show freelancers their appeal results ..like we reviewd ur appeal and not accepted....u prevent freelancers from requests page as u r willing not to reply them quickly or announce them  that their appeal under review and will be replied during 3 days for example...it is unlimited review without any friendly care

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
24 of 129

@Vladimir Z wrote:

Now you can get banned for searching for a job too actively. Awesome!

No, you can be banned for never winning them. Which in your case is extremely unlikely to happen considering your good profile. But it may happen to those **Edited for Community Guidelines** bidders who apply to the same jobs that you are applying to, thus annoying clients.

This is actually good news for you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Ivan K Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
25 of 129

Well Upwork,

I have a friend of mine who just registred on your website 2 months ago. ( I advised him to try freelancing and sold him Upwork)

He even won a contract or two as far as I know, worked through it and successfully finished those contracts, got his money out.

To my surprise, a couple days ago he said that he got banned for sending too many proposals. My first thought: "**Edited for Community Guidelines**?!"

So for you to understand what is going on here: he is new to Upwork, he is sending a lot of proposals to land his first projects and may be he is not that experienced in talking with clients (could you imagine that? we all started somewhere) etc. How is that? No learning and mistakes allowed here? There is no way to be an inexperienced and unrated freelancer here? I guess those people should consider other places than Upwork to start their Freelancing career.

And finally, for everyone who sees my post, I hope it clearly demonstrates how little time Upwork spends thinking and caring about freelancers and desicions that impact the way we work.

We already have the instrument to limit needless spam - connects. You get 60 of them each month and who could imagine that if you spend them too fast you will get banned from the platform. **Edited for Community Guidelines** Upwork? Could you instead of blindly banning those people limit their connects for next month? That would be a wise experiment. What you are doing here is non-sense. Good luck with digging, Upwork

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
26 of 129

@Ivan K wrote:

To my surprise, a couple days ago he said that he got banned for sending too many proposals.

He wasn't banned for sending too many proposals.

He was banned for winning too little or none of them.

Upwork has millions of freelancers, they are not in need of new freelancers. They want to keep the successful ones and weed out those who are not, because they are earning from those who score contracts.

Upwork is neither a charity nor a training center. It's a private company that seeks profitability. Your friend may want to spend his valuable time learning how to sell, there are many resources available out there. Upwork doesn't want to be a training ground.

I understand your frustration and to be honest, Upwork is not the platform that fits everyone. Competition is really tough on Upwork and people who are not yet experimented in selling themselves may find it hard to succeed. And Upwork doesn't want them on board.

Good news is, there are many other freelancing platforms and venues to get good business on the Internet. Upwork not working? Who cares, do something else!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
27 of 129

Hi Ivan,

I'd appreciate if you sent me a private message with a link to your friends account. You can click on my name next to this post and you'll see a link to send a message. I would like to check and share your feedback with the team.

Generally, this program shouldn't affect new freelancers who sent proposals and win jobs. However, if a freelancer sending a lot of proposals and very few or none of them result in hiring, their account may get suspended.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ivan K Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
28 of 129

Thanks Valeria, done.

Just for the community what "conversion rate" should freelancer get to be on the safe side?

29 of 129

Ivan,

In order to prevent anyone from unfairly bypassing our guidelines, we cannot release the specific numbers. Be assured we do not take action based on isolated incidents of unsuccessful proposals. Only in the unusual case we find a freelancer has been repeatedly submitting many proposals but not winning jobs (or winning few), we take action. 

The best way for freelancers to ensure that their proposals are successful is to send well-written and targeted proposals only for jobs they are sure they can complete. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Da M Member Since: Dec 8, 2016
30 of 129

Should I worry if I have registered an account, but I am not looking for jobs right now and I plan to start using Upwork a couple of month later?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS