Addressing accounts that don’t show work activity

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Manager
1,502 Posts

Addressing accounts that don’t show work activity

[ Edited ]

We want good freelance talent to be successful through Upwork. When good freelancers are winning new projects and building strong relationships/earning money with their clients, it’s beneficial for all of us.

The flip-side is when we see freelancers who aren’t successful in their attempts to find clients through Upwork. They’re regularly submitting many proposals but aren’t winning projects nor earning money. This isn’t good for any of us.

With this in mind, in the next couple of days we’re going to start closing the freelance accounts of some users with a history of not delivering winning proposals to clients. These are freelancers who, despite many attempts, aren’t showing the success one would expect and are likely falling into one of two buckets: 1) the opportunities available on Upwork are not a good match for the freelancer’s skillset or 2) they might be violating our Terms of Service, specifically our policies on circumvention.

Rest assured, this will not affect most of you. We are reaching out to a limited group with this. And, we’re only closing the accounts of those users who show the activity I mentioned above, i.e. lots of proposals submitted without results (projects won and earnings paid). If you don’t regularly submit proposals, but you’re continuing to work with clients on Upwork and get paid on Upwork, you’re fine. If you occasionally submit proposals and win a project here-and-there, you’re fine too. And if you’re regularly submitting proposals, regularly winning new projects and getting paid on Upwork, you’re doing great!

With this change we expect freelancers on Upwork will achieve even more success by better standing out to potential clients.

From launch of the Top Rated and Rising Talent programs, to ourupdated process for new freelancers joining Upwork, we’ve shown our commitment to helping good freelancers succeed. This is one more step in that direction.

Community Leader
95 Posts

Re: Addressing accounts that don’t show work activity

Hello Garnor,

Such kind of annoucements should be sent to each freelancer whether via email or via notification. You know it better that what can be the better way. There are only a few freelancers who visit community page regularly while others only come to ask a question if they have any otherwise, they don't even bother to open this page. So please think upon it.

Thanks.

Community Manager
1,502 Posts

Thanks Attiq. We are notifying any affected freelancers directly. Seeing as this affects a limited group, we don't see it fit to email all freelancers. 

Community Guru
4,439 Posts

Garnor M wrote:

We are notifying any affected freelancers directly. Seeing as this affects a limited group, 

Garnor, this is great news. I'm surprised that only a limited group of profiles are impacted, considering what we see in the forums. But I guess it's good news if they are in the minority.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
1 Posts

Hello I have a problem, I filled in and tied up the payment data, but the account is still "Please contact customer support."

18,831 Posts

Thanks for updating your picture, Max. I'll follow up with the team and they'll review your profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
858 Posts

If we can also shut the voices of those who keep visiting the forum to tell others that Upwork is a joke and they won't get any work on it, that would be great too. Because too honestly I don't believe these statements to be a coincidence anymore. 

Thanks Garnor.

Anonymous
0 Posts

[ Edited ]

This is a step in the right direction. I would also like to suggest that profiles that have not been used for years are deleted or at least they should not appear in the search results anymore. Moreover, there still are numerous fake and duplicate profiles that appear in the search results. This morning I have flagged approx. 15 profiles without any photo or with an inadequate photo and there are countless similar profiles that are active on Upwork without any profile photo. It is very easy for me to find those profiles and so it is easy for Upwork as well.

Community Guru
951 Posts

Margarete M wrote:

This morning I have flagged approx. 15 profiles without any photo or with an inadequate photo and there are countless similar profiles that are active on Upwork without any profile photo.

YOu can chose to not display your photo on Upwork (or at least you used to be able to) so that's not really a reason to flag someone's profile.

Community Guru
2,463 Posts

That sounds great, Garnor - I hope it helps to move forward the changes we'd like to see happen to improve Upwork.

What would be really great is that you prevent these freelancers you're going to suspend from being able to come to the forums asking why.

I think we're all a little tired of seeing those posts.