cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addressing accounts that don’t show work activity

Anatolii Z Member Since: Apr 14, 2016
31 of 129

Well I`m top rated freelancer over 8 months or so and everything going well after 1st year here at Upwork, but!

I`m not sure what change scare me more 20% fee this summer or permanent bans for searching client...

Right now I`m on PRO account(or something like that) and it give me additional connects(stacked about 210 atm) and never spend it(for last 6-7 month) because I have 3-4 constant clients for long terms. But I want to create my own studio pretty soon and I will need all of this connects. And based on my experience for last year here I got about 1-10% convertion depends on my luck(I have good portfolio, 8+ exp in niche, skills in marketing and sales to sell myself). In the middle of this year I could spent 70-120 connects to get 2-3 contracts. And it could be small and cheap contracts or long terms giving me(and Upwork) thousands dollars in 2-6 months. 

And for now I can get ban in midpoint of any new long terms project, get ban when pulling new clients(if 1-2% conversation), get ban expanding from freelancer to agency getting even more clients. 

Seriously, this platform some kind of rasism for freelancers. Atm Upwork getting atleast 200-300$ from my work every month. Imagine I would starting my career at Upwork one year later - it would be ban in first two months.
 Guys, you doing wrong things. Digging hard not the best way to increase your income.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
32 of 129

Hi Anatolii,

You have long-term clients, seem to deliver great results on the contracts you have and continue winning new contracts, it's very unlikely that you are going to be affected by this initiative.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Dima Y Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
33 of 129

Hello, dear Upwork! I think that's a good initiative to make this platform only for chosen freelancers! By the way, as well as taking 20 % comission - the quality of the service really improved from this historical and unique event! Personally, as top rated freelancer with some long term projects, i am glad with that.
Just for the community -

will you give any warning before banning next freelancer?

Any second chance after banning - for example after 6 month, in case freelancer can present some evidence of his improved skills (for example, good work on other platforms)?

Maybe its worth to make one more warning before person will apply for any project? So, for example, before you click "Apply" you will be warned that you can be banned for not winning this job. How do you think?

Thank you for your reply in advance!

34 of 129

Hi Dima,

The freelancer is notified if their account is suspended for no work activity. If they believe the account activity described in the email they received is not accurate, they can request that the decision be reviewed again. Each case will be manually reviewed by our Trust & Safety team to decide if the account can be reinstated.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
Jerry J Member Since: Jul 25, 2016
35 of 129

Okay, I am a little concerned about this change. How will it affect people who refuse to work for **Edited for Community Guidelines** wages and don't land many gigs due to this reason? I have no idea how to see what conversion rates I have. Hence, I do not know how I am faring in that department at the moment. Could someone help me out by telling me what is considered 'reasonable' regarding sending proposals and getting favorable responses?

36 of 129

Hi Jerry,

You don't have to accept invitations or apply for jobs you don't want to work on. Continue applying only for jobs you are sure you can complete and bid with the amount you want to be paid for your services.

You've successful completed quite a few contracts on Upwork and have a couple of active jobs, so I doubt you have anything to worry about.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Roman K Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
37 of 129

Hi, Upwork Team!

I am a little concerned about this change. You can lose a lot of high skilled people on start their Upwork career.

I think these novelty infringe the position of those freelancers who knows his own worth. Especially those newbies who refuse to work with low rates. You just don't give them a chance, and induce them to dump rate.

You keep saying that good freelancers always have very high conversion rate, that you only need to write good cover letter and job is yours. But it’s not true.

For example I checked my recent stat – I’m top rated with 90+ JSS. I applied to 41 projects in past 90 days, but I only won 2 jobs. And I can’t say my coverletters were bad. Most likely my rate is high for a client etc. My convertion rate is quite low – 4.8 %. But still I‘m making a quite a lot of money from Upwork. I think this new policy (ban newbies with less 5% CR- correct me if I'm wrong) is simply illogical. If you want to lower number of proposals then we already have connect limitation - and it's working good. You can lower number of connects and give additional one's after successful projects.

If you want to get rid of "dumping guys" then set minimal price or minimal rate for example. Instead this new policy actually encourage people to dump even lower

Regards,

Roman

38 of 129

Hi Roman,

We certainly don't want freelancers to lower their rates, on the contrary we always encourage freelancers to bid with the amount they consider appropriate.

You obviously have been successful at securing jobs and maintaining long-term relationships with clients and this initiative shouldn't directly affect freelancers like you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Roman K Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
39 of 129

Hi Valeria.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
40 of 129

Actually, Roman, you do give your own stats as an example, and extrapolate from them.

It's reasonable to infer from Valeria's response, and from many prior postings on the topic, that a conversion rate of c. 5%, is far from "low" on this platform, or any kind of a threat with respect to this new initiative. It's also reasonable to assume that, as with the JSS, new freelancers will be given a chance to establish themselves on their merits before any metrics kick in.

I have yet to see Upwork fret over anyone's conversion rate, or offer any advice over it. The present policy is addressed at accounts "that don't show work activity": whose conversion rate—or return on investment for Upwork—is essentially zero.

Best,
Michael