Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addressing accounts that don’t show work activity

Mo E Member Since: May 20, 2013
41 of 129
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
42 of 129

Hi Mo,

We won't be able to share exact numbers and details about internal processes in order to prevent any abuse. You can refer to Garnor's original post on this thread for information about this program.

~ Valeria
Untitled
43 of 129
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
44 of 129

@Mo E wrote:

Oh yeah?!
So, what can make the freelancers trust that you won't abuse it as well?!

That question makes no sense at all.

At the end of the day it is all about the bottom line. It makes no sense at all for Upwork to eliminate profitable (for the company) freelancers.

With there being way too many freelancers in many categories, it makes perfect sense to eliminate unprofitable ones. No shop would keep selling a product that makes no profit and isn't bought often enough to warrant giving it space on the shelf.

Equally, no shop would stop selling a product that is in demand and makes a profit and doesn't cause extra costs.

So whatever conspiracy theories you may be harbouring, forget it.

This platform is a business and exists to make money. As such it has the absolute right to decide whose services it wishes to continue to offer their clients and whose services they don't. Just as nobody is forced to be here (there are other platforms, join them if you like their policies better) the company does not have to keep any freelancer they don't want.

That's all there is to it.

45 of 129
Jenipher D Member Since: Dec 17, 2016
46 of 129

I have got on and submitted many proposals. When I do not get work, I have gone and rearranged or changed my bid, trying to figure out what would work best.

I have had little to no success. I have had some clients hire me, only to find out it was a scam. I got hired from three different companies, all of whom, when I called them myself stated that they were not hiring and that someone was on UPwork using their information to gain access to people.

How can we keep this from continuing to happen?

I am a single mother trying to find honest work at home projects.

I got hired on Upwork, delivered what was asked (wrote an article)...was asked to make changes before payment, which I did. And then I was never paid.

The only thing I knew to do at this point was to cancel my subscription, but I can not get anyone to reply to me.

I am worried, frustrated and upset.

Would SOMEONE please help!!!

Anatolii Z Member Since: Apr 14, 2016
47 of 129

Well I got some expirience as yours. I finished a urgent project and client told me he like my work. He paid. But few days later my withdraw button was locked due to investigation. At the end 200$ project wasn`t paid, I lost my time and my money. And UpWork didn`t gave me any info "why", only telling me it`s under their police. 

So Upwork doing only one thing - advertising their platform to gain new clients(not need more freelancers atm). And no guaranty for money deals as they say. I think it`s not fair for 20% fee. But there is not so much options.
You can maximize your income reseraching and working with other freelancers platforms. Some of them really good depends on your niche. With Upwork it`s more about luck(and of course you have to be skilled). I was lucky and was working hard on my account and now it`s almost fine for me. So good luck to you and other freelancers.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
48 of 129

I have mixed feelings about this. As Petra pointed out, Upwork has the right to refuse service to anyone. On the other hand, this is another policy lacking transparency -- think Job Success Score. With JSS, you can see where you stand, at least, but for this account closure based on unsuccessful bids, there's no advance warning whatsoever. How much harm would there be in doing this in stages, perhaps starting with a probationary period with a reduced number of connects, before escalating to permanent suspension? Also, I'm handicapped not knowing exactly how these suspensions are triggered, but it seems misguided to lump new freelancers with experienced ones, because it's accepted generally that new freelancers have a harder time getting hired, all things being equal, and indeed the Rising Talent program was created to address this issue. In the extreme case, are Rising Talents in greater danger of being kicked out by virtue of having more opportunities to submit unsuccessful proposals?

While I seriously doubt I'm in any danger of suspension due to unsuccessful bidding, as a matter of principle I wish the changes will be implemented in a way that gives freelancers a bit more control over the outcome.

49 of 129

Jenipher and Anatolii,

Your accounts haven't been subjects to any limitations due to the program discussed on this thread. Both of your accounts are active now.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Dmitry B Member Since: Nov 29, 2016
50 of 129

Clients don't like to deal with newcomers. It's a real problem for a freelancer to take a first job. Will you ban a freelancer after 2 months of unsuccessful attempts to take a job?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS