cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addressing accounts that don’t show work activity

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
51 of 129

Hi Dmitry,

Although I agree that winning your first job can be a challenge, new freelancers without a track record on Upwork are getting hired every day and some of them do share their positive experience in the Community.

Please know we are not closing a large number of freelancer accounts. We have found only a small portion of our registered users are submitting many proposals but not winning any (or very few) contracts. We are looking at the volume of proposals a freelancer submits versus the contracts they have been awarded.

Please make sure to submit tailored proposals for jobs perfectly aligned with your skillset, and I'm sure you won't have to wait long before you win your first contract on Upwork.

Igor B Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
52 of 129

I've seen a discussion on some russian forum about it. 

There're a lot low quality contracts on upwork. If you are a newbie, it's easy to make mistake - submit for a project for a client who got no payment or no hires, submit to a project with liek 50 proposals already or with hires. Chance to get a job is very low in this cases. From what i've read upwork ban all newbies with convertion rate below 3-5%. I doubt that it's fair or usefull practise but who cares Smiley Happy

I still believe it's a good idea to announse these new rules publically. Or at least warn people for the first time not ban. 

I got one question :

I wonder if there's any difference if you submit proposal and then (in a week or two for example) you realize that it's bad and withdraw it - will it make any difference ?

53 of 129

@Igor B wrote:

I got one question :

I wonder if there's any difference if you submit proposal and then (in a week or two for example) you realize that it's bad and withdraw it - will it make any difference ?

Hi Igor,

Withdrawing proposals doesn't affect a user's reputation.

54 of 129

@Vladimir G wrote:

Withdrawing proposals doesn't affect a user's reputation.

And what if the project autocloses with no hires or expires (with no response from client) ? No difference too ?

Why don't you lower amount of the connects given to freelancers based on their convertion ? i.e as a newbie you can get +60 with RT badge, +75 with account validation, 70 with pro account (can use promo for first month). Thats a lot of connects and if you use them all it's like 99% ban chance with new policy. Am i wrong ? Or maybe newbies are immune for the first month ?

55 of 129

Hi Igor,

Clients action or the lack of them don't affect freelancers' reputation either. We also don't have plans to change the way Connects are assigned. Please have a look at the opening post on this thread and our follow-up replies, to understand what type of activity is being addressed by this effort. Note that I wouldn't like to comment on hypothetical scenarios.

56 of 129

Lack of actually usefull comments is what worries me most - all those 'probably and maybe, no comments etc'. I can't understand if it's safe to apply to 'risky' projects ( clients  with no history ) or no. 

"Vladimir G wrote:

Please know we are not closing a large number of freelancer accounts. We have found only a small portion of our registered users are submitting many proposals but not winning any (or very few) contracts."

OK ) Lets open https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/browse/ and play with the filters. It says there're 2,559,068 freelancers (wow!). But only 289,019- 403,176 are active within last 1-2 month. From them only 102,186 got 'At least 1 hour billed or $1 earned' within 6 month.  I wonder how many earned just a little more (like a few hundreds$), another 100k ? 
What is this ? Browse freelancers data is fake or there're 50-75% active accounts that have to be banned ? That's a 'small portion', isn't it ? Smiley Happy

Can you please share estimate about how many freelancers were banned ?  Is there a single case when decision was revised ?

57 of 129

Hi Igor,

Please note that we can't share the details you requested and already posted all the information we have. Please check our replies on this thread to make sure you understand the purpose and breath of these efforts.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
58 of 129

@Igor B wrote:

....I can't understand if it's safe to apply to 'risky' projects ( clients  with no history ) or no.

Igor,

Opinions vary—my bank accoount does not think of clients with no history as "risky," but rewarding. If you rule out entire categories of jobs a priori, you'll never know whether they're risky, rewarding, or both.

If you simply use this initiative as an excuse to become more timid, you'll be reducing not just misses but hits. Rather than worrying about the specific metrics Upwork uses to prune deadwood, you might want to focus on posts by others in your field who are successful, to see what they have to say about winning bid strategies.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
59 of 129

@Igor B wrote:

I've seen a discussion on some russian forum

I suggest that you spend less time reading Russian forums about Upwork and more time learning how to improve your profile and your marketing skills. This is a good ressource: freelancetowin.com and this one too: Getting Started on Upwork

It may prove useful for landing jobs.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Roman K Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
60 of 129

I suggest you to do the same thing. I see you have a lot of free time to write posts here. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS