cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addressing accounts that don’t show work activity

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
81 of 129

@ Patrick S.:  I agree with Rene.  Also, he does not support everything "they" say.  Perhaps prior to making such a statement you should actually read some of Rene's posts.    

Ace Contributor
Patrick S Member Since: May 9, 2016
82 of 129

Alright Pat M, let's agree with him. What about clients who post jobs and don't hire. They are also not making money for UpWork. Why not fire them Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
83 of 129

@Patrick S wrote:

So you mean people who have medical issues and several other issues and cannot work for UpWork for a certain period of time should be thrown out ? The example you described is nothing to do with what I said. It's your choice if you don't want to work for your client.

But since UpWork claims that its a "freelance site" they should allow everyone to be here, and not just the ones who are making money.

Of course your number of posts show that you are busy building community reputation to become a mod, that's why you are supporting everything they say. )))

You're falsely appealing to an irrelevant situation to try to generate sympathy and make people who disagree with you lookg like monsters. Freelancers who don't work due to medical issues would also not be submitting proposals and therefore are NOT being targeted by this policy. The policy is only targeting freelancers who are submitting many, many proposals with little or no success.

(Also, Rene is a very successful freelance translator, why on earth would he want to work for Upwork as a mod? You do realise that the mods are actual Upwork employees, right, not just community members who post a lot?)

As for your other argument about clients who post a job and who don't hire - it's again a completely irrelevant comparison. A client who posts a job and doesn't hire couldn't find the right freelancer here out of the millions available. They didn't hire this time, but they might come back and hire next time. A freelancer who submits many proposals with no success is being beaten out of the game by more successful freelancers, who *are* making money.

I'm going to steal Petra's shop analogy again. Imagine you're a shopkeeper. You have one shelf to display your goods for sale on. If you sell a lot of item A, but never sell anything of item B, you are of course going to remove item B from the shelf and give more space to item A (or perhaps try item C and see if that is also successful). By your suggestion, any customer who comes in to the shop and doesn't buy anything should be permanently banned. Which makes no business sense at all. They didn't buy anything today, but after you remove item B and put up item C instead, they might buy item C next time.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
84 of 129

This is just nuts.

Nobody is getting thrown out of Upwork because they have medical issues.

But let's be clear:

If you have medical issues that mean you can't do the work, then that's not an Upwork issue. That's your issue.

Upwork is not your government, family, church, mosque or local charity. It does tremendous good at absolutely no cost to anybody who doesn't want to participate in it by being what it is: a profit-driven business.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
85 of 129

@Jennifer D wrote:

(Also, Rene is a very successful freelance translator, why on earth would he want to work for Upwork as a mod?

Patrick's comment made me LOL because I remember the old days on Elance when you could be actually suspended for a certain period of time from the community by the mods. Some of us called this the brig.

I was thrown down in the brig few times actually. They don't do this anymore, thanks to the Gods of Kobol. 

21ebc33a84e3463ba2cfb1f078afc0af.jpg

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
86 of 129

@Rene K wrote:
They don't do this anymore, thanks to the Gods of Kobol. 

Oh we do, Rene, we still do.Robot wink

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
87 of 129

Oh, oh. Then I may want to watch my stupid mouth at times...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
88 of 129

Rene K. stated:  Oh, oh. Then I may want to watch my stupid mouth at times...

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Why start now? lol

Ace Contributor
89 of 129

Jennifer D,

"You're falsely appealing to an irrelevant situation to try to generate sympathy and make people who disagree with you looking like monsters."

You did a good job there in manipulating what I said and gave an irrelevant example.

I will not take some random "shop" example and just give you an example about this situation related to UpWork and not some random "shop".

Suppose there is a freelancer who submits a bid for 10 projects or even 20, and all 20 of those clients didn't hire anyone. So you would penalize ALL the freelancers for submitting a proposal ? Smiley Wink

Also to add to the above, there can be many reasons for the freelancer not ACCEPTING the job.

Some of them are the following...

1) Pricing - The client might want it cheaper and ask the freelancer to reduce the cost. The freelancer can REFUSE to work.

2) There might be some information that the client didn't include in the bid and inform the freelancer later on for which again the freelancer might REFUSE to take on the job.

3) Miscommunication - Often clients post projects like "Web Developer Needed - More details in private" kind of jobs. A freelancer might submit a proposal to find out the details of the job and they both might not agree with each other in getting into a contract. Why should the freelancer be penalized for this?

4) One job - one freelancer. Obviously only one freelancer will be awarded the job (unless the client is looking for more than one). Suppose there are 100 proposals and the client selects 2 of them, so the rest of the 98 are going to get a -1 in their proposal-to-win chart?

Try to understand the situation from the freelancer point of view next time before posting random irrelevant examples about some "shop".

Ace Contributor
90 of 129

Jennifer D,

I just looked at your profile. You are not even a freelancer working through UpWork, then on what basis are you judging what is right for us and what is not? Are you a UpWork staff? I don't see that you are, no badge.

Seems pretty strange here that neither you are hiring people, nor working through UpWork, then what are those 1,164 posts based on. Robot Indifferent

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS