🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » All In-Person Events Cancelled due to COVID-1...
Page options

All In-Person Events Cancelled due to COVID-19

lenaellis
Community Member

UPDATE: Events are cancelled until further notice, all in-person events scheduled in April are also on hold.

Upwork has been closely monitoring the situation of COVID-19, along with the rest of the world. The safety and well-being of our Upwork community is our number one priority. Therefore, Upwork has decided to proactively put all in-person events scheduled for March on hold. This means that local events like our Expert Evenings and Top Rated Huddles have unfortunately been cancelled. We will continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and are currently investigating remote event options. Our event page will be updated when we have upcoming online and in-person events.

In the meantime, we ask that you do everything you can during this time to take care of yourself.

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
  • Clean and disinfect your electronic devices. (This cnet article on how to clean your phone gives some great tips.)

Resources:

Thanks for understanding. Let us know if you have any questions.

9 Comments
n_sappleton
Community Member
It seems every other organization I interact (Grocery store, my coworking space, even my property manager) with has emailed with the steps they’re taking. Upwork.... crickets.

They could
-accept applications from new freelancers quicker (those who are switching to online work to compensate for work lost elsewhere)
-grant those new freelancers free connects
-in fact, they could grant free connects to everyone to increase online work interactions
-add incentives for people who usually work offline to work online via Upwork’s tools (although I agree the video chat tool is next to useless)
-allow quicker access to funds, especially for hourly payments
And so on.

Upwork has a nice opportunity here as remote working increases but like I say... crickets.
jr-translation
Community Member

Natalie S wrote:
It seems every other organization I interact (Grocery store, my coworking space, even my property manager) with has emailed with the steps they’re taking. Upwork.... crickets.

They could
-accept applications from new freelancers quicker (those who are switching to online work to compensate for work lost elsewhere)
-in fact, they could grant free connects to everyone to increase online work interactions
-add incentives for people who usually work offline to work online via Upwork’s tools (although I agree the video chat tool is next to useless)
-allow quicker access to funds, especially for hourly payments
And so on.

Upwork has a nice opportunity here as remote working increases but like I say... crickets.

I am still looking for a nanny. Upwork, can you help?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Natalie,

Please, refer to this announcement Lena posted earlier this week for information. 

ETA: I've merged your post with the existing announcement about COVID-19.

Thanks!

n_sappleton
Community Member
Oh so not _quite_crickets but some guidance on hand washing. Hmm.
n_sappleton
Community Member
In all seriousness, have you tried your local Facebook group for your nanny search? Mine is full of people out of work (I’m in Hollywood and productions have all been shut down). You might find qualified people looking for a temporary solution. Good luck!
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Natalie S wrote:
Oh so not _quite_crickets but some guidance on hand washing. Hmm.

Why would they want to add more freelancers to the website, when there's very likely to be a huge drop in the number of jobs available as the economy worsens? Upwork needs more clients, not more freelancers.

petra_r
Community Member

Natalie S wrote:

They could

And starve and harm their loyal existing freelancers? I very much hope no such thing would happen.

wendy_writes
Community Member

Natalie, I've no idea of what you do or how long you've been on U. as your profile is marked private, but just to let you know U has been trying to validate the calibre of FLers and winnow down the number of incompetents ... not increase them.

There is sound logic behind not implementing your suggestions.

kavitagabani
Community Member

Upwork has taken a good step.