Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Update on 2015 Marketplace Quality Initiatives

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 8

To update all of you on the current quality initiatives on Upwork our Senior Vice President of Operations prepared a post, which I've copied below. You can also access the post on our blog here: Update on 2015 Marketplace Quality Initiatives

Dear Upwork Community,

Earlier this year, I shared our 2015 plan to make it easier for great freelancers to succeed. Many of these initiatives are well underway, and I’m excited to share the impact they are already having on freelancers and our workplace. I’ll also provide a preview of new initiatives to come.

Since the introduction of Connects in February, we’re finding freelancers are competing against a smaller, more relevant group of candidates.

Data shows that freelancers are submitting fewer proposals overall while still winning the same number of contracts.

• With a significant increase in projects being posted on Upwork this year, programs like Connects that help the right freelancers and clients connect fast are more important than ever.

Programs to address unprofessional clients are ramping up.

On a large workplace like Upwork, we understand that it can be challenging for freelancers to effectively screen their clients. We want to make this easier and have already seen difficult clients responding to outreach. Clients that are consistently negative in their interactions with freelancers are contacted and if unable to improve, are no longer permitted to use Upwork.

The Job Success score is helping top freelancers win more contracts.

The My Stats dashboard shows your business metrics, which enable you to identify where your freelance business can improve to deliver higher quality results for your clients. The most prominent metric on My Stats is the Job Success score, which provides a snapshot of your overall client satisfaction. This score allows qualified and experienced freelancers to stand out more to potential clients in the marketplace.

• In fact, twice as many contracts now go to top freelancers.
  • For some in the community, the benefits of this score are clear. For those with open questions, we’re going to share a more detailed look at the score soon.

If you deliver great results for your clients, we want to ensure we can deliver you access to great clients and work. The Job Success score helps make this happen. We’ll continue to make this metric more prominent on Upwork.

The Top Rated program is recognizing and rewarding excellent freelancers.

Top Rated status is earned by freelancers that consistently deliver great results for their clients. Freelancers in this group are now taking advantage of a badge on their profile, access to premium customer support, exclusive resources and select job invitations. Since the program launched, we’ve seen Top Rated freelancers stand out more and find it easier to win contracts.

And here’s a look at what’s to come…

This is just the beginning of initiatives geared toward helping great freelancers stand out and succeed.

• Later this month we’ll conduct a pilot program to help highly skilled freelancers who are new to Upwork win their first contracts and grow their earnings quickly.
  • Upgrades to Identity and Phone Verification are also in testing.
  • The Top Rated program will continue to be enhanced, with a special community area launching soon along with access to exclusive workshops and resources.

As with many initiatives, the programs I’ve outlined help most great freelancers but are not designed to help everyone. We’ll continue to push for even more success with these programs through regular refinements and updates to cast a wider net.

I’ll be back to share more progress soon. In the meantime, I wish continued success to our great community of freelancers!

Best,
Elizabeth Tse
SVP, Operations

Untitled
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 8

@Lena

Thanks a lot for posting this. I'm thrilled to see that progress is being made. Smiley Happy

Christopher R Member Since: Jan 22, 2009
3 of 8

You can try and promote Connects from now until the end of time but you will never persuade me that they are anything but 1) a device to limit the number of jobs I can apply for and 2) a way to boost Upwork's profits.

There may be an increase in projects being posted but the overall quality has gone down as Upwork still does nothing to monitor or improve job listings....

Community Leader
Pravin K Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
4 of 8

Sweet News from oDesk!!!

Community Leader
Pankaj K Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 8

Upwork is getting better day-by-day. The new initiatives are very good, in-fact one of a kind.

Some of my suggestions however;

1. The number of Connects allowed for a month is still very high which in-turn might be flooding a job requirement or making the best freelancers seem lost in-case they applied later.

2. The client thing I guess needs a lot of work still. Prompt paying and work appreciating clients seem a few and hard to find.

3.  We do need an app ASAP.

4.  There has to be more clarity when a client adds a job posting. Many a times the hjob details seem to be in-sufficient.

Kudos to the entire Upwork team. Well done, keep up the good workSmiley Happy

thanks and regards,

Pankaj

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

re: "There has to be more clarity when a client adds a job posting. Many a times the job details seem to be in-sufficient."

I have to disagree with this one.

If you don't want to bid on those jobs, then don't bid on them.

Maybe it's not the job details that are the problem. Maybe it's just that a client is looking for a different kind of contractor.

I've earned a lot of money working for clients who have a lot of money, but they're not interested in writing detailed job descriptions, or they just don't know what needs to be done. Not every person with money has the technical expertise necessary to write something that will satisfy some contractors.

Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
7 of 8

If there are no sufficient information, sometimes you have to ask the right questions to be considered for an interview. A question can also be a valuable information about your skills.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8

Excellent point, Michael.

Asking for more information about a project which isn't well described would demonstrate sincere interest in a client's project.

It also demonstrates that you read the job description, which is something many job applicants don't do. A lot of clients continue to complain about job applicants who appear to not have read their job description at all.

There are lots of reasons why a client's job posting should be taken down. These include jobs that are scams, postings that are in the wrong section (contractors looking for work) and jobs which violate specific Upwork policies. But I don't want to see job postings taken down because they are too short or provide insufficient information for some contractors to make up their mind about applying.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS