cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing New Perks and Requirements for our Top Rated Community

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
241 of 263

Hi Giorgi and Marija,

Sorry it's taken a little while for me to get back to you. I've confirmed we updated the feedback removal process (based on Community feedback) so that if you request to remove public Feedback ratings and comments, that project's name will show with the notation, "This feedback has been removed." However, this change has yet to be implemented, so in the meantime some of you who have made this request are still seeing, "No feedback given." Don't worry, this will be updated in the next few weeks.
~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Marija J Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
242 of 263

Thank you, Valeria! I am seeing "The freelancer has made this comment private" notation at the moment, but I've contacted the support in the meantime and they have explained and confirmed the same, that it will be updated in the next few weeks, as well as my star rating being removed by that time, which was apparently prevented by a bug.

Community Leader
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
243 of 263

The amount of money earned to receive the top rated badge should be definitely higher. 

Many freelacers get very good reviews just because they are very cheap, so this quality distinction loses its sense. 

244 of 263

I have expressed several times that I dislike the feature that top rated freelancer can remove feedback from JSS once in three months because it falsificates the reality.. So a freelancer who for example lies about his language proficiency (I could provide several examples of that) and gets a honest feedback from a client can remove this from his JSS. So, he can get the same JSS like a freelancer who is honest and always provides excellent work. At least I appreciate the feature that rating and comments stay on the profile. Thus if somebody carefully reads the profile the truth behind the excellent JSS becomes visible. Clients will have to check the profiles carefully and cannot rely on the JSS anymore.

Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
245 of 263

@Margarete M wrote:

I have expressed several times that I dislike the feature that top rated freelancer can remove feedback from JSS once in three months because it falsificates the reality.. So a freelancer who for example lies about his language proficiency (I could provide several examples of that) and gets a honest feedback from a client can remove this from his JSS. So, he can get the same JSS like a freelancer who is honest and always provides excellent work. At least I appreciate the feature that rating and comments stay on the profile. Thus if somebody carefully reads the profile the truth behind the excellent JSS becomes visible. Clients will have to check the profiles carefully and cannot rely on the JSS anymore.

The feedback process itself supports false information, in this instance, I'm glad that it's able to benefit the freelancer, because it often benefits the client. Clients can consistently give great public feedback (which then makes freelancers more likely to trust them) and awful private feedback, tanking a freelancer's JSS. There is no mechanism that allows Upwork to remove the effect of one of these feedbacks, even though it is clear one of them is dishonest. This system benefits the client and harms the freelancer.

If a freelancer is truly bad at what he or she does, there will be more than one bad review. One bad review in the middle of a bunch of good reviews likely means the bad review was untrue, or it was an anomaly, and the freelancer can be judged by the plethora of other good reviews.

Overall, I think the feedback process is seriously broken. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I don't care for the current system at all. I think this 'perk' of removing up to 4 bad feedbacks a year tilts the scale just a little bit closer to 'fair' in the relationship between clients and freelancers. Until they can find a way to make it truly fair for everyone and have some level of accountability in feedback process, I support leveling the playing field a bit.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
246 of 263

Agree with Lisa. There are many clients who don't or won't take any blame for failure of a project, thus rendering their feedback as not telling the whole picture. A recent client left my first 3 stars.

I bent over backwards for this guy, who basically disappeared on me, took weeks to respond to questions and finally, right before he closed the contract, sent the information and files I should have received at the beginning of the project.

Upwork does err on the side of clients in all things - I see nothing wrong with this little perk to help level the playing field. I have great 5-star reviews and would hope anyone with half a brain will see that his feedback is, as Lisa states, an anomaly. Removing a few comments here and there, well ... I see nothing wrong with it because most times I believe it will be used in cases where the client was just plain unfair in their assessment of the freelancer.

Ace Contributor
Anil C Member Since: Oct 23, 2015
247 of 263

The private feedback system seems a total failure. No other freelancer site has this.

The JSS of a good freelancer can be devastated by a person on purpose by just creating a client account and giving some excellent public feedbacks and awful private feedbacks

The freelancer will never know that this is the person who is bringing down his JSS as he cannot see the private feedback.

Similarly a newbie can go to the top with some $5 jobs from a friend.

The end-result will be a JSS list with idiot at the top.

A wrong JSS list means, the actual client picks up an idiot, ends up loosing his money, looses faith in upwork, and leaving the platform.

I don’t understand why the actual feedback can be public. It will make everything transparent, and there will be no foul-play.

I never take 2 jobs simultaneously nowadays, as I want to know how each job affects my JSS.

Ace Contributor
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
248 of 263

What happened to the feedback removal?

The stars are back and there is an ugly:
"The freelancer has made this comment private"

I didn't even had a comment there. 

It does more harm now.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
249 of 263

Hi Viacheslav,

Please see Valeria's follow-up comment from a few posts back and please wait a bit for the feedback removal process to update.

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Giorgi and Marija,

Sorry it's taken a little while for me to get back to you. I've confirmed we updated the feedback removal process (based on Community feedback) so that if you request to remove public Feedback ratings and comments, that project's name will show with the notation, "This feedback has been removed." However, this change has yet to be implemented, so in the meantime some of you who have made this request are still seeing, "No feedback given." Don't worry, this will be updated in the next few weeks.

Gerry W Member Since: Jun 13, 2016
250 of 263

Hi, Lena,

Is the job digest saved anywhere within Upwork, or is it only available in my email?

Thanks,

Gerry

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS