Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing New Perks and Requirements for our Top Rated Community

Highlighted
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
81 of 267

@Garnor M wrote:

That said, we're looking to help meet the request we've heard from many freelancers who are looking for a little extra help/control in managing their Job Succcess Score so they can continue to benefit from Top Rated status.

Then, how does a client know which profile didnt need some little extra help/control over the JSS?

Is the intent just to display high scores and top rated badge or to give clients a hint about the freelancer work performance?

Freelancers may need some help indeed but look at those metrics that have a too big impact such as the open jobs without activity and the no feedback jobs. They may indicate or not client dissatisfaction... you dont know for sure.

Highlighted
Top Rated Manager
Katrina B Top Rated Manager Member Since: Sep 3, 2013
82 of 267

Hi everyone,

My team is responsible for the Top Rated program, and I've been paying close attention to your feedback.

We designed the Feedback Removal process to address requests that we receive to remove feedback comments and to remove feedback from Job Success scores.  We also designed it to be transparent to the freelancer and the client, in that they see a visible indicator on their profile that a contract has been removed.  The design is that the contract would be visible on the profile, but the star rating and comment (if any) would say "This feedback has been removed by the freelancer." 

However, I'm hearing a lot of feedback here that jobs should be able to removed from Job Success scores without removing the comment or having an indicator on the profile.  I'm open to changing the way it works to match that request, but I want to hear everyone's opinion first.  

1. Does anyone have a feedback comment that they would want to remove from their profile using this process?

2. How do you feel about the decreased transparency if a contract is removed from the Job Success score without a visible indicator?

3. If you would like the comment removed, do you have other suggestions on what we would replace it with (instead of "This feedback has been removed by the freelancer.")?  For example, just "This feedback has been removed."

Thanks!

Katrina

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
83 of 267

Katrina, thanks for speaking up!  I am strongly against a provider having the ability to wipe-out negative feedback because it simply makes the entire system bogus. Especially from a client perspective.

If corporate really wants to follow through on this endeavor then, as John suggested, delete the rating on the job from the JSS thingy - but that is all. 

U is either going to earn a reputation as a serious platform or not; utilizing deceptive practices to please freelancers is doing clients a severe injustice.

I’m not sure if U does what E did and that is to manually review all information and documentation in a workroom IF there is a situation where a freelancer feels a client was vindictive but this, while more labor intensive, certainly seems more transparent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
84 of 267

@Katrina B wrote:

Hi everyone,

My team is responsible for the Top Rated program, and I've been paying close attention to your feedback.

We designed the Feedback Removal process to address requests that we receive to remove feedback comments and to remove feedback from Job Success scores.  We also designed it to be transparent to the freelancer and the client, in that they see a visible indicator on their profile that a contract has been removed.  The design is that the contract would be visible on the profile, but the star rating and comment (if any) would say "This feedback has been removed by the freelancer." 

However, I'm hearing a lot of feedback here that jobs should be able to removed from Job Success scores without removing the comment or having an indicator on the profile.  I'm open to changing the way it works to match that request, but I want to hear everyone's opinion first.  

1. Does anyone have a feedback comment that they would want to remove from their profile using this process?

2. How do you feel about the decreased transparency if a contract is removed from the Job Success score without a visible indicator?

3. If you would like the comment removed, do you have other suggestions on what we would replace it with (instead of "This feedback has been removed by the freelancer.")?  For example, just "This feedback has been removed."

Thanks!

Katrina

I try to deal with unfair feedback in a constructive way, in the sense that I've learnt to live with subjective points of views I do not agree on.

Anyway, there's one case where I'd be willing to use the option to remove the feedback (and that is IF that horrible sentence didn't show on my profile page): in contracts that I have to close myself because clients have gone MIA.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Geomaria G Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
85 of 267

Wonderful work by your team. 

My response-

1. YES! I definitely want to remove one feedback, which almost ruined my week when it was posted from a client who was insincere from the very start.

Transparency is of course compromised. In fact, if you would like to make it 100% transparent, let the contract be transparent, the only way is to let the freelancer and client have a go at each other. Debate, rebut and so on. 

And I definitely would love it. To keep the sense and sensibility on track, a client's profile is 99% fishy (looks so, thanks to the opaque and null descriptions). 

3.  Your displacing statement makes it sound fishy. It could be better if you would provide options on why the feedback was removed. And I mean sensible options like- Client's feedback did not match thebehaviorr, Unruly Behaviour, Wrongful Claims (if lying is too harsh a word, although I was swindled by a lying client and I have no hassle in shouting that personality trait of the client).

I have already sent a request to remove the said feedback (My bad, I was diplomatic and rated the client 4.85, while the con girl rate me 2.85. She'd claimed that her workload got busier and she had to put me off for sometime, BLEH!) But now, given that you shocking new sentence makes the ommitting sound fishier, I really do not know where to go from here. Its a confusing change Katrina. 
You can fix it! But fix it good and sane!  

Geo Maria George
Highlighted
Top Rated Manager
Katrina B Top Rated Manager Member Since: Sep 3, 2013
86 of 267

Thank you, Geomaria.

So if you had to vote, would you vote for:

1) Remove contract only from JSS

2) Remove contract from JSS, remove 5-star and comment from profile with explanation "This feedback was removed by the freelancer."

3) Remove contract from JSS, remove 5-star and comment from profile with explanation "This feedback was removed."

?

Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Linda B Member Since: Oct 13, 2015
87 of 267

I would vote to remove the contract from the job score calculation but leave it on my profile.

With a message that I removed the feedback, I might not participate in this option.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
88 of 267
Really appreciate that you’re taking our input into account Katrina. I wish had stronger opinions about this but I’m a little uncertain about the options/alternatives you’ve suggested. I’m weighing the benefits/problems by considering my own profile, but I also have to think about the marketplace in general and what attracts quality clients. Anyway, to answer your questions.

1. Not at the moment, but I’m sure my luck will run out at some point.

2. In two minds about this – on one hand I agree with Wendy’s posts about transparency, but on the other hand, sometimes terrible clients happen to good freelancers.

3. I’m assuming that the rating (-/5 stars) would be removed in addition to the comment? If a freelancers requests a contract to be removed from their history, I’d rather have the whole job disappear from the profile. But if you have to put something there, rather say “Feedback unavailable/omitted” or something like that (nothing about the freelancer removing it, please!!).
Highlighted
Pasindu D Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
89 of 267

Hello Katrina,

I myself and overwhelmingly large majority of members will be agreed to make the feedback completely removed. That must be the very first thought they had in mind when reading this post.

you have hidden most of the past feedback give and received by clients. And make it harder to judge **Edited for Community Guidelines** client.

I have seen a couple of buggers complaining the transparency of the new system, please explain about the client transparency.

For the first time in history UpWork has done a righteous benefit for Undeniably Best Members on this platform. Now make it right, Please do. That will be appreciated by the members.

Now for the transparency, I will answer in terms of users. You are giving this out to Top Rated (And now the standards are even Higher than before) members who had not been scammers or engaged defamatory behaviour in the past to obtain it. Not to mention working hard and deliver each and every time to achieve this.

I DO BELIEVE THAT THESE MEMBERS DESERVE SOME RELIEF IF THEY EVER COME ACROSS SOME CHEAP **Edited for Community Guidelines** CLIENTS.

Up Until now there no way to mitigate such a client in Top Rated program. Only before that program with 5 star system allowed total refund and remove feedback. But that was also unfair then **Edited for Community Guidelines** client can get away with free work out of hard working members.

Suggestion of having an option to keep the comment and star rating is somewhat ok. But the point here is that the members who had already proved should not be punished for some **Edited for Community Guidelines** clients. and remember this is allowed once only a quarter. if in any case an underperforming user cannot hide is past with this system.

It really comes down to make a good client not being spoiled. And the UpWork will benefit from this good work with better members. At least for once give them the benefit of the doubt.

I am really happy that you the people making changes will listen to the community

Kind Regards,

Pasindu

for your reference please see the following for one of the best thoughts I have seen from fellow members

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
90 of 267

@Pasindu D wrote:

I DO BELIEVE THAT THESE MEMBERS DESERVE SOME RELIEF IF THEY EVER COME ACROSS SOME CHEAP **Edited for Community Guidelines** CLIENTS.

Why would a freelancer be "rewarded" for promising to clients the moon just to get the project and then later "tax" the client for every move of the finger.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS