cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing Two New Solutions for oDesk Freelancers

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 766

In case you missed it, today we announced two important changes to the oDesk community. We encourage you to read the blog post in its entirety as our CEO, Fabio Rosati, shares more about what you can expect, and why we're making these changes. You can read the blog post in its entirety here and we will be following up with an email to freelancers in the next day.

As mentioned in our blog, we encourage you to post your feedback and questions here. Additionally, we'll be hosting two live Town Hall webinars in the coming days to answer any additional questions you may have. Attendance is limited, so click below to register for either of these sessions:

Town Hall webinar #1 - Thursday, Feb. 19th, 1-2pm (Pacific) - register

Town Hall webinar #2 - Friday, Feb. 20th, 10-11am (Pacific) - register

In summary, here's a recap of the two new solutions highlighted in our blog post today:

1. First, we are introducing Connects, a new system of applying to jobs that will replace the weekly job application quota.

Connects are virtual tokens you need to submit in order to apply for a job. By default, every freelancer will get a monthly allotment of 60 Connects, which is lower than the quota you’re used to.

By lowering everyone’s quota:

• There will be fewer unnecessary applications.
  • Most freelancers will only apply to jobs they are truly interested in and qualified for.
  • You’ll be competing against a smaller and more relevant pool of applicants, increasing your chances of getting hired when you’re the best fit.

We were careful to choose a quota large enough for most new and experienced freelancers to continue to succeed on oDesk.

Of course, if a client invites you to apply or is rehiring you, you won’t need to use any Connects. All other applications will require anywhere from 1 to 5 Connects (2 on average), depending on factors such as the size and type of job.

The Connects system will roll out gradually. We’ll follow up with more details on what you need to do. Until then, please see our detailed FAQs for Freelancers and Agencies.

2. Additionally, we announced membership plans for more active freelancers and agencies.

We’ve also created optional paid membership plans for highly active community members.

By default, you’ll automatically be on a free Basic membership plan, which comes with 60 Connects and the core tools to succeed on oDesk.

If you’re more active, you can upgrade to a Plus membership, which will give you more Connects, the ability to roll over your Connects, visibility into what others are bidding, and other premium features. You can change your plan at any time.

As we roll out memberships to the community, we’ll notify each of you with more info about what you need to do. In the meantime, learn more about the membership plans available to Freelancers and to Agencies.

Belinda B Member Since: Oct 4, 2013
2 of 766

I am so excited to read that oDesk is rolling out some new features and enhancements. Personally, I have mixed feeling about how this will address "quality". While I am not opposed to a paid membership feature, it does not address one of the primary issues for both freelancers and clients: "recognition" of top performing freelancers. The rollouts and "fixes" appear to be addressing quality from the perspective of preventing unqualified freelancers from bogging down the system through multiple applications, etc. But, what about top performing freelancers? I feel that it is essential for clients to be able to easily identify those top performers, and for those freelancers to be given recognotion and incentive. If a client is looking for (and willing to pay) for an "expert" - they have no way of finding that person. The search options have proven over and over to be unreliable for this purpose. At one point, oDesk was showcasing a "Gold, Silver, Bronze" system for freelancers, but it appears that never came about. I am certain that would be a win-win for all. I am looking forward to ongoing system and feature enhancements. Thanks! 

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 766

Hi Belinda,

Thanks for the comments! 

To your question of highlighting top performing freelancers, we are absolutely focused on this. In the coming months you'll see more around this initiative as we couldn't agree more. We want, "clients to be able to easily identify those top performers, and for those freelancers to be given recognotion and incentive." 

Thanks again.

David B Member Since: Aug 9, 2007
4 of 766

@Garnor M wrote:

To your question of highlighting top performing freelancers, we are absolutely focused on this. In the coming months you'll see more around this initiative as we couldn't agree more. We want, "clients to be able to easily identify those top performers, and for those freelancers to be given recognotion and incentive." 

Thanks again.

How about keeping promises?

"#2: I’m worried oDesk will adopt membership fees or other aspects of the Elance pricing structure.
Don’t worry! oDesk does not plan fee increases or membership fees based on the merger." - Odesk CEO Gary Swart 

Madelaine E Member Since: Feb 19, 2015
5 of 766

Right! How about keeping promises?

I remember last July 2013 I got an email from you guys saying that oDesk withdrawal fee will be removed. That never happened. And now you want us to pay just to be able to apply to more jobs? Is the 10% service fee not more than enough?

Geethma M Member Since: Jun 28, 2013
6 of 766

we dont like this connects system..

Avijit M Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
7 of 766

Absolutely. What's about the promise? The project fees, withdrawal fees (Even in paypal withdrawal! - bit of ancient! ). I  RIP Odesk. I think right now Gary leave the Odesk and the complete control of the Odesk move to the Elance professionals and they make the decissions. Sorry we lost a great Freelancing platform today morning!

Mohsan I Member Since: Mar 2, 2015
8 of 766

you are rigth it is time to leave Odesk

MD. RAFIQUL I Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
9 of 766

yes your Idea is correct

Day by day damaging a great workplace and turning as a business and advertising place. This new some paid features very bad for client and freelancers and huge loss for platform,freelancers,client but some features are good like connects and minimum hourly rate.

thanks

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
10 of 766

"But, what about top performing freelancers?"

Top performing for who, and for how long?  As someone who is new to oDesk but with a ton of experience elsewhere, does oDesk really benefit if they promote someone who actually has lower skills overall, but more history on oDesk?