cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing Two New Solutions for oDesk Freelancers

Frequent Visitor
Neil M Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
21 of 766

@Darrin O - Unfortunately your "ton of experience elsewhere" is not able to be easily verified by employers using oDesk as their main source of contractors. Giving employers easier access to information on past performance of individual contractors on oDesk is a desirable improvement.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
22 of 766

Neil:

Oh, I'm aware of the difficulty in attempting to validate outside experience.  I was simply pointing out that simplistic promotion of "top freelancers" is just not smart so long as the world is bigger than oDesk, and it is economically unhealthy in the long term for oDesk to adopt a system that fails to incentivize the right things.

Ace Contributor
Fatima A Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
23 of 766

Meh. I see oDesk is going the way of Elance.

Personally, one of my favorite things about oDesk (that, for me, really differentiated it from other sites) was that it was the closest thing to a meritocracy I've seen in its niche. You could not buy your way into better visibility, more opportunities, and so on; freelancers only had to outdo the competition in terms of skills, availability, and creativity--not spending power. The platform was equal for everyone, whether some considered it a blessing or a curse. Meritocracy means tough, incessant professional competition but the rewards are that much richer, the stories that much more inspiring. And I was always happy to share a portion of my hard-earned money to support this system.

By the way, Elance takes 6.75% to 8.75% and Freelancer.com takes 3%...I suppose copying a paid membership system doesn't come with a similar reduction in fees, does it?

Community Manager
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
24 of 766

Thanks for the comment Fatima. 

These membership plans are not being introduced as a way for freelancers to "buy their way into better visibility, etc." While a paid membership does offer more Connects, i.e. opportunities for submitting applications, the same jobs and clients will continue to remain visibile and accessible for all freelancers, regardless of their membership plan.

The oDesk fee will remain at 10%, no change there.

Ace Contributor
Waqas T Member Since: Feb 7, 2011
25 of 766

Garnor M wrote:

The oDesk fee will remain at 10%, no change there.

I have seen at-least a dozen good contractors that live near me move out of oDesk in the past 6 months.

If you are going to limit what I can do right now, still charge 10% and demand an extra $10 a month then I will leave as well. Why would I get in the 'game' of paid membership without even a cent of profit to me, why should I stay with oDesk when now there will be no diffrence between any of the top freelancing site... except that oDesk now becomes the most expensive freelance site compared to the rest.

Grazielle Rouen S Member Since: Feb 26, 2012
26 of 766

I Agree with you Waqas T

Muhammad Asif Rash R Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
27 of 766

yes i agree with waqas

Rituparna S Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
28 of 766

I 100% agreed with  @Waqas T. Till now I can argument with other contractors (friends) that Odesk is best place for freelancers. After those new rules I can't stand for Odesk. Sorry to say but definitely I will join rest of simillar sites.

The feature to view other's bid price is the most bad part according to me because in this case people forgot about the effort of the job but simply focus to get the job as a result the bid price getting lower and lower.

Previously this feature was not there so Odesk was my favorite but now it's going to be the same as others. So for me now Odesk is different from others. I really feeling sad for this.

Vladimir G Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
29 of 766

Hi Rituparna,

Stay with us and continue working on oDesk, we are dedicated to keeping this the world’s best and most trusted marketplace.

Cavedish N Member Since: Aug 12, 2008
30 of 766

I agree with the point you are putting across. Odesk wont be different from the other sites and that is why I considered it a unique site. Smiley Sad

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS