cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying to my job? I have a question for you!

Temitope F Member Since: Feb 29, 2008
11 of 55
"Do you have suggestions to make this project run successfully?" - How can someone make such suggestions when they have not even worked on the job to know how easy or hard it is?
Vi-Ann V Member Since: Jul 11, 2012
12 of 55
I definitely agree with this.
Andrew P Member Since: May 19, 2015
13 of 55

Of course, you can suggest. But not in case wherein the requirement is not specific. You can not say until you do not have entire requirement in front of you to analyse. Once done, you can then give your comment about what is the best approach which makes application / project run sucessfully. For.e.g you can suggest most suitable technology to help achieve maximum result, performance and rapid development. 

From the design prospective, you can suggest what looks good and what does not. Be in consultation mode not the service provider mode. Everybody is proivding services, but few are actually giving client more of what they are looking for, and that is what add value to their projects, and help you win projects.

Nevertheless, its all upto us how we approach client in such scenario.

Ronnie J R Member Since: Oct 1, 2012
14 of 55
I think the question "Why do you think you are a good fit for this particular project?" is rather redundant. Isn't that the point of a cover letter? My usual response to this question is usually "This was addressed in the cover letter." or just "See cover letter."
Kirsten H Member Since: Apr 1, 2012
15 of 55
I have issue with the combination of response ratings and pregenerated questions. I am now not only having to respond to contract invitations on weekends and holidays but also to finish a bunch of meaningless questions on the contracts I am forced to respond to during my time off if I'm interested in the work. Either make contract applications quick and easy to respond to or do away with response time ratings. Those able to write a decent covering letter don't need these questions, because the letter will cover the important points, hence the term 'covering letter.' Those able to write a decent covering letter that suits their industry are more than likely the better candidates for the contract.
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
16 of 55
How is this a new feature? There have been canned questions on jobs for at least a couple of months now. There were even forum threads discussing them and pointing out everything wrong with the approach. [quote]We have been testing this ability to add screening questions for a while and we’ve found that by giving applicants specific questions to answer, clients get better information about their applicants, they are better able to compare applicants, and they fill more jobs.[/quote] Really? How on earth a combination of "I need a logo" as job description and a question below "What part of the project will take most time?" will help the client in the hiring process, considering that there's no way to answer with absolutely no specs provided? If you're going to make this mandatory for all jobs, at least make sure that you have requirements for the job description as well.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
17 of 55
When you test "freelancers" - oDesk's new terminology - on their ability to answer preset questions, you are testing them on their ability to spend time doing busywork and follow pointless orders. That is not what freelancing is about. If ODesk want to treat workers like employees, who get paid for showing up and looking busy, they should guarantee minimum wage and a pension.
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
18 of 55
How can preset questions determine or measure one's capability for online work when presets questions doesn't even work in screening applicant's capability in the "Brick and Mortar" setting? And being preset, spammers, scammers will eventual get a copy of all the questions and be able to prepare set of answers. So how again does it help selection process?
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
19 of 55
Odeskjobanswers.com
Seth H Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
20 of 55
As a client, thank you so much for adding this feature! The autohide on users who don't answer screening questions have saved me a ton of time filtering applicants and was long overdue. I'd suggest you take it a step further and have it autohide Agency contractors or applicants from non specified countries as well. This goes a long way to helping the problem of being overwhelmed with nonstop recycled cover letters. Good contractors should be happy about this too, it gives you a way to stand out and not be lost in a sea of spam applicants
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS