cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying to my job? I have a question for you!

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
21 of 55
My profile and my cover letter are what make me stand out. It takes longer to read five questions to check that they aren't recycled than to check one cover letter for the same. Unless you aren't actually reading the cover letter or question answers, and you're just checking that the contractor follows orders. That's not how you hire professionals. If you're using the questions as a means of automatic filtering, then all a scammer has to do is type a few words in each question box and the application will go through.
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
22 of 55
You cant stop people from applying, and that wouldnt be right anyway. I had many jobs posted for US/UK contractors only, but stumbled on a Gem of a contractor from India who out performs almost every US contractor I have ever hired. When I say outperform, I dont mean their rate either, I mean their deliverables, and I pay them more than I pay my US locals due to the quality. Aside from all that, you can simply mark the X next to an application without looking at it, if you dont want to see a person from a certain country, or from an agency. Depending upon what your select as your reason for hiding the application, I think that oDesk tallies those replies to see the if the contractor is making a nusiance over time.
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
23 of 55
I find this to be the best feature addition in a long time. It's a BIG time saver and I love the auto-hide of non-answerers. I also like the fact that the cover letter is optional now. For small projects, getting answers to the 2-3 key questions that matter is enough to make a decision in my opinion and cover letters are often too generic. Good job!
Community Guru
24 of 55
Preset questions aren't "questions that matter".
Community Guru
25 of 55
[quote=Marcia Malory]Preset questions aren't "questions that matter".[/quote] I didn't talk about preset questions, although those really aren't bad either. Did you miss this part? [quote=Mollie C.]Clients can choose from a list of pre-generated questions, or they can create their own - up to five total.[/quote]
Community Guru
26 of 55
I realize that clients can create their own questions, but when I have seen questions on applications before (it seems that oDesk has been doing a trial run of this feature for a while), they have all been useless pregenerated questions that have no relationship to the job. I've seen the same questions repeated over and over for completely unrelated jobs. I wouldn't mind a client asking a question that is actually job-related, as long as it doesn't cross over into expecting a free consultation.
Community Guru
27 of 55
Well it does take half a brain cell to realize that they can be changed. I found it surprisingly well documented. Perhaps they should reverse it and make custom questions the default or prompt the user to actively select between default and custom questions? I found the process straight forward so I'm not sure why clients would use pre-generated questions when they could ask something specific to their job.
Community Guru
28 of 55
My thoughts are 1. Can't be bothered to think of and write up a question, in which case I can't be bothered to waste my time writing a targeted application, or 2. Don't really understand what the job entails, which creates a potential for disputes later on. I could be missing something. If so, happy to stand corrected.
Kirsten H Member Since: Apr 1, 2012
29 of 55
I work with interview requests only and when those requests come with a batch of questions that were answered in my profile, it's a good indication of spam. If you want to request that I consider a contract, view my profile to see if I fit. I'm not going to spend my Sunday afternoon answering canned questions and, since I am no longer able to respond to such requests on Monday, I can no longer give every interview request serious consideration--I simply do more work for other sites instead.
Arun K Member Since: Aug 10, 2009
30 of 55
Until now only general questions are coming as before, Is the feature launced or there is any delay ?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS