cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming the world's premier online workplace for professionals

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 68

UPDATE: this thread has been closed from further replies.

Hi again oDesk Community,

Today, our CEO Fabio Rosati, posted to the blog with an update on our vision to become the world’s premier online workplace for professionals. You can find Fabio's entire letter on the blog here and it will be soon arriving to your email inbox.  We've also posted a set of FAQs in our Help Center here.

As with all our Announcements, we'll be here on the Community, doing our best to answer your questions and respond to your feedback. Thanks for your input and for being a part of this vision as we head into a bright and exciting future together!

Community Leader
André U Member Since: Dec 5, 2013
2 of 68

I truly fear the end of us freelancers.

Not only the mad robots we are now almost used to. Not only the new (worse) display of earnings. Not only the absolute horrifying idea of having the new connect system and having to pay 10$ for a Premium membership which has not a single advantage.

No, now we make it all a big mess and call it "advanced workspace".

Also, the FAQ is a joke - pretty much like the repetitive answers from Garnor and his colleagues which convey no meaning at all. That is propaganda (if anything at all). I would actually like to see "listening and answering to our feedback" and not just mere actionism (copy & paste answers which cannot be regarded as answers at all).

Also, have not you just said we would need to apply less for jobs with the new connect system? Do you really think that is the case when all Elance freelancers can profit from their Elance experience here on oDesk while we (as always) get no benefit at all?

We oDeskers are left behind while the Elance freelancers get a "bridge" (let's call it a transfer of their shiny profiles to oDesk). That automatically means at least doubled competition than before. Not only that, but Elance freelancers will keep their work history and such and transfer it all to oDesk.

My summary how I see it:

1) More "mad robots" which analyze our work and try to match us with clients (which eventually turns out to be a complete mess again)

2) More than doubled competition since all Elance freelancers come now to oDesk (with ther shiny profiles included) - while we oDeskers have no chance to work with our shiny profiles from oDesk over there (discrimination?!)

3) More than doubled competition, but the number of clients stays the same --> see the problem?

Best,

André

Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
3 of 68

I won't fear that "bridge" thing, if clients from Elance are coming here as well. Can someone from oDesk confirm it?

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Community Manager
4 of 68

Correct, Mattia. We'll also be inviting Elance clients to come to oDesk.

Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
5 of 68

I want to be positive about these latest changes, and I'm not used to worry too much about problems which are not on my way yet. From my perspective, this news can either be good or bad news... we'll see, there's no need to complain about that now, as I cannot foresee the impact on my working routine here...

...that being said, that's all I needed to know, thank you Garnor for your quick reply! Seeing that clients from Elance are going to visit oDesk too is pretty good, indeed. Smiley Happy

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Community Manager
6 of 68

Hi Andre,

I appreciate the perspective. We value oDesk freelancers and with this announcement we're excited at the opportunity to focus innovation on one platform, the platform you're most familiar with and where you've achieved success. oDesker's aren't getting left behind, instead we'll be evolving together at an even more rapid pace.

Because innovations and initiatives will be focused on oDesk, we are not planning to enable a bridge from oDesk to Elance. As is possible today, you can create an Elance account if you wish.

New freelancers and clients join oDesk everyday.  As Fabio mentioned in his letter, we are doing more to make it easier for high quality freelancers and clients to connect and get work done. 

Ace Contributor
Alexandra H Member Since: Mar 7, 2015
7 of 68

I can understand your frustration at having to go through so many changes, but what exactly disturbs you about Elancers bringing their existing profiles to oDesk? I don't understand. Surely that is exactly what your competitors in the offline world would do -- bring all their experience, feedback, company references, etc. to "the market", is it not? Online freelancing is no different than offline work when it comes to background, experience, skills, etc.

Community Leader
André U Member Since: Dec 5, 2013
8 of 68

Hi Garnor,

Thank you very much for your fast and direct answer. This is highly appreciated. Also, I did not mean to be rude, but I still have to see oDesk changes which I personally regard as positive. All changes in the past meant negative changes. This is the only reason I am somewhat prejudiced against those new announcements.

I do already have a profile on Elance since 2013. Guess what? I had 0 jobs in the last 2 years, although I have used many connects in various projects. In the same time, I have had around 110 project on oDesk with quite a notable sum earned. That's another reason why I am not convinced of the "elance way".

True to the motto: Why change a running system?

oDesk was just fine as it was. No need to adapt it to anything to make its appeal "more advanced". Keep it pure and simple and don't make it a science to be a freelancer.

I still fear those new announcements and do hope that new clients will be using this "shared platform". It's time for some optimism I believe, but it's difficult to trust oDesk at this stage.

Best,

André

Community Manager
9 of 68

Pure and simple makes sense Andre and we're not aiming to complicate things. That said, we have heard from you when it comes to improving such areas as:

• Matching freelancers with clients
  • Better profiles
  • Collaboration and productivity tools
  • Top notch customer service

The sytem is running, but together we can make it better.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
10 of 68

This sounds absolutely terrifying. Too many changes within the space of a couple of weeks! I earn almost $0 on Elance, so if there's any merge of the actual platforms, then it looks like my freelancing career is in danger.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS