Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming the world's premier online workplace for professionals

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
11 of 68

No need to be fearful Isabelle. It looks like your freelancing career on oDesk is on solid ground and it'll continue to be so as you continue to deliver great work. By focusing innnovation on a single platform, this bodes well for the growth of your freelancer career.

Highlighted
Daniel L Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
12 of 68
I just read the new announcement from Fabio, which I don't think anyone can say is a surprise. 

So, given:

A - ELancers will be able "to duplicate their profiles on oDesk" via the "bridge"
B - ELancers will continue to exist on Elance as well during the interim ("We greatly value the Elance community and will continue to support the current Elance platform")
C - There will be no reciprocal bridge for oDeskers onto the ELance platform ("Because innovations and initiatives will be focused on oDesk, we are not planning to enable a bridge from oDesk to Elance.")

...I come to these conclusions for the possible 2 year interim:

1 - ELancers will have access to all the jobs on oDesk and on eLance
2 - ELancers will be able to utilize their work history to pursue job postings by both client bases
3 - ODeskers will still only have access to jobs on oDesk

So, basically, ELancers can leverage their profiles to get oDesk jobs, but oDeskers can't leverage our profiles to get ELance jobs? Seems very unbalanced.

And by the way:

1 - "inviting Elance clients to come to oDesk" is not the same as oDeskers being able to leverage our existing work history to get jobs posted on ELance

2 - " It looks like your freelancing career on oDesk is on solid ground and it'll continue to be so as you continue to deliver great work" - The issue here is not whether an individual freelancer stacks up well against the new competition, but whether the policy itself is fair and balanced, which it is not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 68

Thanks for the feedback Daniel. Please realize that oDesk will be the platform where we will be focusing our innovation and our initiatives around better matching, support, etc. Because of this, we're not building a similar bridge for duplicating your oDesk profile on Elance. You'll be able to leverage your profile to continue winning the business you do today on oDesk, along with the new business/clients that arrive as we move ahead with this effort.

Highlighted
14 of 68

Garnor,

Respectfully, I know all that, because, as I said, I read the email from Fabio. I also read the linked FAQ's, from which I believe you copy and pasted your response.

My takeaway from your obfuscated and political response is that I'm absolutely right: Elancers will, during the 2 year interim, be able to leverage their profiles to get jobs on both platforms, while oDeskers will receive no such reciprocal benefit. 

Is that correct? (I am not asking you to comment on whether or not this is fair or balanced, or to offer up a possible rationale behind the decisions, but to simply respond, yes or no, regarding my bolded interpretation of the announcement and the linked FAQ list)

Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 68

Correct Daniel. We are not building a bridge that will allow oDesk freelancers to replicate their profiles on Elance.

Highlighted
16 of 68

@Garnor M wrote:

Correct Daniel. We are not building a bridge that will allow oDesk freelancers to replicate their profiles on Elance.

Thank you for a clear, concise answer.

So:

Resources allocated to make sure no ELancer is hampered by the coming changes? The Bridge.

Resources allocated to make sure no ODesker is hampered by the coming changes? None.

The obvious conclusion: ELancers are more valued by the new "Elance-ODesk" Platform (see the hint in the new name as to the priority of platforms?) than historical oDesk freelancers.

My intention (which I have inacted this week with 3 clients) to continue moving all clients off the platform as soon as the 24-month exclusivity window expires seems to have been validated as more information is released.

I chose oDesk over ELance for a reason back when I started freelancing. It seems to be dying the death of a thousand cuts, and I for one am sad to see it go.

#oDesk-is-oVer

Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 68

We disagree with your conclusion Daniel and in fact are focusing improvements and R&D efforts on the oDesk platform. The oDesk community will benefit from these efforts. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anne M Member Since: Jun 25, 2010
18 of 68

This is true, I tried to get a job at Elancer with no luck, now there goes oDesk.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anne M Member Since: Jun 25, 2010
19 of 68

Why?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Faheem K Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
20 of 68

"where we will be focusing our innovation and our initiatives"

I don;t like to say but the issue is we will remain as your experimental bodies , while they(Elance) will come and Try to get our Clients ( a more competitive envoirnement ) . As clients at odesk will consider them as Odeskers rather than Elancers. I really believe that we are being pushed to walls while Elance is being given higher chance to do more. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS