cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming the world's premier online workplace for professionals

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
31 of 68

I have a question Garnor. When are you going to protect us, freelancers from clients on oDesk? 

We shouldn't be punished for fake jobs or irresponsible clients. You should; no – You MUST protect us. There are so many jobs where clients just don't take any actions. I have a 3 day rule (if a client doesn't take any action within 3 days, I withdraw my application). 3 days are more than enough for a serious client to make a decision. 

Unfortunately, there are more jobs without any action from clients, compared to jobs that end up with a success (hire).

So we will apply for a job and waste our connects and more than 50% of clients will never take any action. So we are going to keep wasting and wasting connects, and you will keep earning and earning money from us, as we will have to buy additional connects.

You are just twisting what is the real truth in all of this, and I do understand that it is your job to do so and that you are not the one to blame, as you probably didn't have any vote in these changes. But you have to remember that not a single successful freelancer is stupid, and we can read between the lines and we know what is happening here. 

oDesk must protect their freelancers because without us, you don't make money. 

I'm looking forward to your answer.

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
32 of 68

Hi Dejan,

We're going to do more to ensure/elevate the quality of clients and job posts. These efforts have already begun (earlier this year) and will only increase in the coming months.

Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
33 of 68

At this point.. I think the best thing to do is prepare for the worst and expect the best, while keeping your options open.  As they say, don't put your eggs in one basket.  Well, I will have to get me more baskets this time Woman Happy

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
34 of 68

Regarding the 'bridge' that permits Elance members to duplicate their profiles at oDesk, I'd like confirmation that as oDesk freelancers they will pay the same 10% fee with the same application quotas as any other oDesk freelancer.

35 of 68

That's correct John. 

Ace Contributor
Roman M Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
36 of 68

I wonder if this is a good idea. Its hard enough to get invitations or job offer these days and yet more people will be "bridged" over where they have two sites that instantly have feedbacks on their profile.

Yes, Elance might be intergrated into Odesk in the next two years..

Yes, Odesk will be the one to stay so we're safe but for the next two years, the freelancers at Odesk are at a disadvantage since our profile is only limited to one platform unlike the Elancers, they have their clients on that platform and can potentially take our potential clients here. 

I think there should be some form of leverage or protection towards the freelancers that were loyal here and worked **edited for Community Guidelines** especially the good ones. We the freelancer here should have probably more connects than the bridge ones or their profile should not be totally like what we have, some form of a "bridge profile". Or we must be prioritize in these custom clients searches that seem random. Not to mention freelancers that are automatically hidden.

Smiley Frustrated 

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
37 of 68

Hi Roman,

All freelancers here, both people like yourself who have been here for some time, new freelancers who join oDesk daily, and freelancers who bridge from Elance will be on a level playing field. You'll have the same number of Connects as part of your membership plans and your applications will be treated the same way. There is no disadvantage to your work here on oDesk, as nothing is change to the way you use the platform.

Ace Contributor
Roman M Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
38 of 68

Hi Garnor, 

I beg to differ that we have the same playing field if the Elancers have two platform they can use whilst using only one profile. How is 2 equal to 1 though. 

New and old freelancers should have same playing field yes, I welcome elancers to come over but with equal treatment of how a new comer comes in with no profile, feedback etc. The bridged profile would have been fair if the elance were to be closed down but it wont be for 2 long years. They do have an advantage over us. It is evident by the responses in this forum. 

I am not saying these things because I am afraid of competition because I believe only a small fraction of freelacers will come over anyway since they are comfortable working in the elance platform the same way I am comfortable with the way odesk works. What they would simply do is continue working in Elance since they have found success there and simply duplicate there profile here in Odesk as an extension of their established profile. Even though they dont apply or work, they can get invitations that could have been to people in Odesk just by having a duplicated profile. That is there advantage.

Change is inevitable and this may benefit me or not but somehow I just feel as a loyal Odesk freelancer where I even brought my private clients in Odesk, I am rewarded with additional headaches. 

Ace Contributor
Banna H Member Since: Feb 12, 2015
39 of 68

Hi All, The main from Odesk and Elance was a terrific shock for me. I am working on odesk from 2009 and I have already finished 121 Jobs and 2082hrs in odesk and earned a decent income. I have started the odesk career after quilting my day job.

So after I am started getting jobs I have hired staffs in-house and expanded my team and now I have 6 developers working at odesk.

In case of Elance we have a profile there but we never success in there. I don’t like the connect system. If such a system will be there we need to get back our connects if we withdrew an application but It won’t.

So as per the new announcement Elancers have ability to replicate their profile in odesk and odeskers won’t!!! its very very very bad!!. If you are giving Elance such option you have to first shutdown Elance and then merge all clients and users to odesk. Otherwise odesk freelancer won’t get any more job. Big companies from Elance they don’t have odesk profile can easily create an empire and shinning profile in odesk with this merge with all feedbacks. So we small freelance with hard earned feedbacks and stars won’t get no more job here.

In last year i have invested more money in my freelance business and i think it’s all gone waste soon. Thank You for the act... I don’t have anything to say.

Ace Contributor
Anne M Member Since: Jun 25, 2010
40 of 68

Surely oDesk, why are you allowing Elance freelancers to bridge to oDesk. Like Andre has said, "

We oDeskers are left behind while the Elance freelancers get a "bridge" (let's call it a transfer of their shiny profiles to oDesk). That automatically means at least doubled competition than before. Not only that, but Elance freelancers will keep their work history and such and transfer it all to oDesk."

This will only increase the competition, and as it is, its hard to get a job owing to the competition on oDesk. Infact, at this rate you might as well dissolve oDesk and just turn it to Elance. oDesk freelancers are going to be at a very great loss, if we are going to allow Elancer freelancers transfer their profiles to oDesk. This merger is turning into a catastrophe for us oDesk freelancers. Its hard to be positive about such a change. I am worried for myself now.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS