Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming the world's premier online workplace for professionals

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
41 of 68

Hi Anne,

I understand the concern, but please also note that we'll be working with clients on Elance to also bridge onto oDesk. We're not just inviting more freelancers to join the marketplace, but more clients and more jobs as well.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
42 of 68

I'm hoping that most of the Elance crowd won't bother coming here. Not because I'm afraid of competition but I find a number of posters over there have an amazing sense of superiority and arrogance.

I went to that site to see how the people who work there feel about this "merger". The arrogance coming from some of the posters in terms of oDesk is absolutely amazing and we can do without that on this platform.

People would right about "the ghetto that is oDesk"; "the lesser of two sites"; "the low bar of oDesk"; among other comments.

I was tempted to respond but figured it just wasn't worth my time. I guess some people have a need to feel superior.

I just hope they don't bother coming over here because I don't want to deal with that attitude here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
43 of 68

Hi David,

You're right, there's certainly an emotional reaction coming from this announcement. Rest assured however, that we will diligently moderate conversations in the Community and enforce policies both here and in the oDesk marketplace to encourage fairness and respect for all users.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
44 of 68

Apologies if this has been asked before. If you have a profile on BOTH oDesk and Elance, then when the 2 finally merge, will your jobs history+ratings from one be added to the other?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
45 of 68

Hi Isabelle Anne and Usman,

We will be extending invitations to more of the community in the coming months so that they can duplicate their Elance profile on oDesk or merge it with the existing one. The process is completely voluntary and you will be able to choose whether to transfer your Elance history to oDesk. Accounts will not be merged automatically.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Usman S Member Since: Feb 22, 2015
46 of 68

what if a person has an account on both odesk and elance? will those 2 accounts be merged?

Highlighted
Community Guru
47 of 68

Hi Usman,

Accounts will not be merged automatically. We are continuing to review the best option for those of you who already have two, viable work profiles on both platforms.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Md.Ramzanul H Member Since: Dec 21, 2013
48 of 68

Hello everybody,

I'm Ramzanul Hasan from Bangladesh . I started oDesk at 12-12-13 . When i completed my profile i gained my first job after seven days . It was a only $6 . But generally i got big project . I believe that honesty, experience is main asset of this market place .Some time i faced a critical moment then i chat oDesk support center they are really friendly and helpful that's why i love the way because i can do this job any where in the world .

Here is my oDesk portfolio you can check for your's .
https://www.odesk.com/users/~018fc689629eeae10d

Thanks !

Ramzanul
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
49 of 68

Well, I am upset with the fact that Elancers can transfer their work history here and not the other way round because they will gain a lot of advantage over someone who was focused on oDesk solely. However , giving it a second thought, I think that is because they will ultimately create just one platform and probably Elance as we know it today will cease to exist (these are just my speculations, I am not claiming it's truth nor do I expect any confirmation.) But again , in this interim two-year  period, I really don't think it is fair that Elancers can play on oDesk field with all their transferred credentials and oDeskers meanwhile don't have the same opportunity.

In my view , they should be allowed to transfer their profiles once we become one platform but not before that.

I hope it will prove to be a great solution eventually (I really do! ) but there will be a lot of challenges for small, independent freelancers  to stay competitive with larger freelancer agencies  which were always heavily favored on Elance. (I mean when one freelancer has agency ,applies with his own profile on which he has 1000+jobs and wins jobs because his profile is so strong and then he just delegates that jobs to other freelancers for peanuts using , ironically, the same platform.Thus there I see an increase in the number of lame 'clients.' ) Also this model favors long-term, hourly contracts and I am not sure that these changes will be beneficial for my own business model (small independent freelancer with short-term fixed-price jobs ) so,yes,  I am starting to put my eggs in other baskets as well. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
50 of 68

Also, one other interesting thing crossed my mind. What will happen to freelancers who were permanently suspended from oDesk for violation of TOS but have fully- functioning Elance profile and work there? Will they be able to transfer that profile on oDesk again?  I mean that is just something to consider...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS