cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming the world's premier online workplace for professionals

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
51 of 68

And a good consideration at that, Natasa. In those cases, we ask that members contact the support team. They can review the specific case and provide guidance.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
52 of 68

Whoa that's a good point. Never thought of that!

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
53 of 68

What I find real unfortunate is the way this has been communicated. You (oDesk) basically spent the last three weeks telling us (your users) how the connects were introduced to enhance quality and to make sure there are fewer applicants per job etc. etc. etc. when not even a month later, your revealed your real motives behind the change (which make a lot more sense than what you've been trying to tell us before by the way). I'd expect more integrity than that, especially from the folks that manage this forum. I hope this much criticism is allowed.

That said, I am actually excited about this change and think while there will be disruptions during the transitioning, it will benefit freelancers and clients long term. oDesk seemed to lack leadership or focus ever since the merger and hopefully focusing all energy on oDesk now and transitioning the Elance folks over will help oDesk improve its reputation quite significantly which will in turn attract more Enterprise customers / high quality clients for us. Just wish it didn't take two years to merge the sites.

I am very glad that the oDesk interface is kept because I never liked how Elance was set up. I can see why some might perceive the one way bridge as unfair, but how could the sites ever be merged if there was a two way bridge? I am just not entirely clear on how oDesk wants to entice Elance clients and freelancers to pay almost 2% more to come over to oDesk. I do hope that the fee structure will remain fair and that Elance freelancers won't get a special deal. Can you please confirm that Elance freelancers will be subject to the same fee structure as oDesk freelancers are?

Community Guru
54 of 68

Hi Krisztina,

Thanks for the post.

Our intentions behind last week's announcement of Membership plans and a Connects system were those we expressed in our responses throughout the week. Improving the hiring and application process and quality are the motives behind those changes.

Thanks for the enthusiasm behind yesterday's message. We're excited as well, as having the support of long-standing freelancers like yourself is important.

Finally, to answer your last question, yes. Any freelancers joining the oDesk marketplace, including those bridging over from Elance, will be working along the same fee structure, membership plans (when they go live), etc. 

Community Guru
Jeri B Member Since: Feb 15, 2010
55 of 68

Garnor - 

Does this mean that an Elance contractor, who bridges to oDesk, is

(1) subject to the 10% if they accept an oDesk posted job and

(2) if they want additional oDesk connects, they have to purchase that odesk program (then purchasing connects on two different sites)? For those concerned with competition on oDesk, this could be a good outcome. I am hoping you don't say "Elance contractors can use their purchased connects on either website without having to buy oDesk's pacckage" ... but you could Smiley Happy

Also, I like your continued emphasis in the forum about driving Elance buyers (not just contractors) to oDesk. You've said it more than a few times, and I think that's just fabulous!

Jeri

Community Guru
56 of 68

You're right on both points, Jeri.

Community Guru
57 of 68

That's awesome, thanks Garnor!

Community Leader
bharti s Member Since: May 3, 2010
58 of 68

Hello I am not sure what i am going to ask it's voilate the policy of Odesk anyhow? .

Since Both companies have Merged togather and look like they are one company right now . Since Garnor Respond the same way on Elance Water Cooler as he does here .  So there is no doubt they are one company now . 

So my Question was . Can we make our client on odesk hire us on Elance? I hope that is not a voilating the policy  of odesk?  

Kindly confirm this . Just curious to ask .

Note : I am not voilating any policy like this . This is just the question came to my mind though asking here . 

Community Guru
59 of 68

Bharti - I can't answer your question but I am almost willing to bet that the answer is no. Reason being that oDesk announced that it wants to merge sites and bring Elance clients and freelancers over to oDesk, so it would make no sense for them to allow us to take our clients to Elance when oDesk tries to get the Elance clients on oDesk.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
60 of 68

Hi Bharti,

For now, jobs and contracts will remain on the workplace where they were posted so you should continue working with clients on a platform where you have established contracts with them. Additionally, for new contracts, freelancers can only apply to oDesk jobs with their oDesk profiles and Elance jobs with their Elance profiles.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS