cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Boost Your Proposal to the Top of List

spunner
Walter O Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
11 of 571

I completely agree with your submission on this feature. While upwork is interested in making more money, it should find a way to do it.

wescowley
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
12 of 571

So I guess the outcry when this was accidentally turned on wasn't enough to stop this mess. I posted a list of questions then which were not addressed at the time. Can you perhaps address them now? Here are those questions again, slightly updated:

I'm still seeing the "2 connects" etc. when I open a job. Is this only being rolled out to certain freelancers for now? 

How are boosted and unboosted proposals separated on the client's view?

What do they need to do to see non-boosted proposals?

Can clients sort proposals on other criteria?

Are clients clearly informed that the boosted proposals are first in line due to payola rather than the match to their needs? (I see the "highly interested" lightning bolt on the proposal screenshot - that doesn't indicate anything about the positioning being paid for).

Are boosted proposals that don't meet the client's stated requirements (location, $ billed, for example) still flagged as not meeting them?

How does this affect proposals submitted through invites?

How are the number of boosted bid slots determined?

Are you going to be implementing other aspects of Fr*r.com's proposal system like highlighted bids and open vs sealed bids?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 571

Hi Wes and Martina,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and questions. This option is currently being tested with select jobs so it will not be available for all jobs.
Boosted proposals will be pinned to the top of the client’s Proposal Manager. All other proposals will be located below and they will be ranked organically just like they are today. The client can scroll down to see all proposals and will be able to sort them as usual. Boosted proposals will stay pinned on top. The client will see a blue lightning bolt icon with “Highly interested” next to a boosted proposal. If they hover over, they'll see a message "This freelancer spent more on this job to get noticed."

We will enforce all of our standard rules for proposals and client job preferences. Replying to invites will still require no Connects. While those proposals can’t be boosted, they are given a dedicated place within the Upwork Proposal Manager and will have an “Invited” badge.

Currently, while we’re testing this feature, there are three slots available to boosted proposals. In the event of a tie bid, the earlier time stamp prevails.
The auction is closed after 7 days and there will not be an option to boost a proposal after that. The top bidders at that time will appear at the top of the list and the rest of the proposals will appear organically as usual. The bids will not disappear and there will be no need to resubmit them.

~ Valeria
Upwork
wescowley
Community Guru
14 of 571

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Wes and Martina,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and questions. This option is currently being tested with select jobs so it will not be available for all jobs.
Boosted proposals will be pinned to the top of the client’s Proposal Manager. All other proposals will be located below and they will be ranked organically just like they are today. The client can scroll down to see all proposals and will be able to sort them as usual. Boosted proposals will stay pinned on top. The client will see a blue lightning bolt icon with “Highly interested” next to a boosted proposal. If they hover over, they'll see a message "This freelancer spent more on this job to get noticed."

We will enforce all of our standard rules for proposals and client job preferences. Replying to invites will still require no Connects. While those proposals can’t be boosted, they are given a dedicated place within the Upwork Proposal Manager and will have an “Invited” badge.Currently, while we’re testing this feature, there are three slots available to boosted proposals. In the event of a tie bid, the earlier time stamp prevails.
The auction is closed after 7 days and there will not be an option to boost a proposal after that. The top bidders at that time will appear at the top of the list and the rest of the proposals will appear organically as usual. The bids will not disappear and there will be no need to resubmit them.

Valeria, thanks for those answers.

Following up to see if I have the mechanics right. Is this how it works?

Shortly after the job post goes up, freelancers A, B, and C bid 3, and everyone else bids 1. A, B, and C get boosted. 

Two days later, D comes along and bids 5. One of the first three, let's say C, gets booted from the boosting and D takes their place.

Does C get 2 connects back because they're no longer boosted? 

Or do they lose them because they were boosted for a while? 

Then, this outbidding and bumping people out of the slots continues until day 7, when the slots are locked and stay that way until the job is closed.

Is that how it works?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
15 of 571

Thanks for the follow-up, Wes.

Yes, that's the correct sequence of events but I'd like to note that additional Connects will be refunded to freelancer "C" from your example only if their proposal didn’t lead to an eligible interaction while it was boosted. We’ll only charge them one Connect in that case.

Eligible interactions include:

• The client opens your proposal

• The client sends an offer to you

• The client shortlists your proposal

• The client messages you

• The client archives your proposal

• The client declines your proposal

Untitled
jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
16 of 571

Vladimir G wrote:

Yes, that's the correct sequence of events but I'd like to note that additional Connects will be refunded to freelancer "C" from your example only if their proposal didn’t lead to an eligible interaction while it was boosted. We’ll only charge them one Connect in that case.

In other words freelancer "C" will get the refund as long as the client hat not looked at the proposal.

As a client, I do not hire the first person but I do look at the proposals. I would find it highly irritating if someone who was top 3 would suddenly disappear from the list.

Will clients know, how many connects where spend by the freelancers?

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
17 of 571

Jennifer R wrote:

Vladimir G wrote:

In other words freelancer "C" will get the refund as long as the client hat not looked at the proposal.

As a client, I do not hire the first person but I do look at the proposals. I would find it highly irritating if someone who was top 3 would suddenly disappear from the list.

I think someone commented on it, but now I realize it. For 7 days, could it be that the client is constantly seeing the first three freelancers change?
Have I understood it correctly?

wescowley
Community Guru
18 of 571

Jennifer R wrote:

Yes, exactly - someone who was "highly interested" suddenly isn't. It's sending a message to the client that the freelancer is no longer interested in their job.

dd63c576
Community Leader
Saddam H Member Since: May 19, 2021
19 of 571

I believe good clients like you look at the structure of proposals that make them respond to the freelancer. I, myself got many times interviewed which I am sure was solely because of the proposal's great structure. 

wescowley
Community Guru
20 of 571

Vladimir G wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. That "eligible interaction" bit is something that wasn't clear before (or I glazed over it).

I see now that what Upwork has really implemented is a way for people to spend connects for a chance to see if the client has looked at their proposal, something we see new freelancers ask for a lot in the forums.

Along with a way for clients to be bombarded with at least twice the spam proposals as before because of the 1 connect bids.

And a way to make it look to clients like only three people are really interested in their job without making it obvious that those people paid for that flag, while the rest are just bidding for the hell of it.

And a way to make it harder/more expensive for new freelancers to get noticed and hired.

And a way to clutter clients' screens with the boosted proposals that don't meet the sort order.

Was this really thought out, or are we just implementing stuff so the coders have something to do?