Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Boost Your Proposal to the Top of List

amt17
Community Guru
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
51 of 338

This is not an advantage to neither freelancer nor client but exclusively about Upwork implementing another useless microtransaction scheme that imitates the “play-to-win” concept from free-to-play computer games (without Upwork being anywhere near to free-to-play!) and it is difficult, if not impossible, to take this kind of moneymaking stunt seriously as anything but a moneymaking stunt.

Upwork is becoming less and less transparent in how it charges its freelancers as we have to add up subscription, commission (“service fee”), VAT of commission, connects to submit proposals, connects to boost proposals, connects to state availability – and I am confident that Upwork will continue finding other microtransactions for equally ridiculous gimmicks.

If freelancers who may not have much luck in writing winning proposals pay their way to the top of the pile, it is a disservice to both the clients and the well qualified freelancers. It draws attention to potentially useless proposals which will waste time for clients and freelancers alike and reflect poorly on the platform as a whole.

If Upwork wants additional revenue streams, then by all means implement things that add value to the platform, elevates it, and makes it a more attractive marketplace for more serious (and better paying) clients and more professional freelancers. But please do spare us for further ridiculous microtransactions that only benefit Upwork.

hglewis
Community Leader
Woodrow Q Member Since: May 15, 2021
52 of 338

Hello Annette!

Annette E wrote:

This is not an advantage to neither freelancer nor client but exclusively about Upwork implementing another useless microtransaction scheme that imitates the “play-to-win” concept from free-to-play computer games (without Upwork being anywhere near to free-to-play!) and it is difficult, if not impossible, to take this kind of moneymaking stunt seriously as anything but a moneymaking stunt.

I went back and reread the original post and didn't see it at first.  

• Submit. Your proposal will be boosted to the client if your bid is high enough. If another freelancer bids more than you and your proposal is not boosted, 👉we will refund some of your Connects👈 (if boosting did not result in an engagement with a client). You’ll be notified either way and your proposal will still show up for the client, even if you’re outbid.

Annette, you nailed it! 

efc5e71c
Thomas S Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
53 of 338
This is idiocy, pure, unadulterated idiocy.
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
54 of 338

I'd like to know the reasoning behind the decision that only 1 connect will be required to apply to all jobs now. Won't this increase spam bidding and overwhelm clients again? (Yes, it will.) So has Upwork decided that this is magically no longer a problem?

And the way that boosted proposals will appear to clients makes me think that I'll never use it. First of all, I imagine that there will be loads of ties, with 20-30 people all "boosting" by 3-6 connects (no more than that), within an hour of a job being posted. So if that's the case, the early bidders will get the top spots, and those usually aren't the most qualified people. If I don't spend all of my time hovering over the jobs feed - which I don't - then I won't stand a chance. And having a little lightening bolt next to your name with an explanation to the client that these people are just super, mega interested in being hired - meh, it sounds desperate, and will mostly be used by the desperate. I predict that the top spots will mostly be rubbish bids, and I think that clients will quickly learn to ignore them, in much the same way that I scroll past the ads at the top of Google searches in order to get to the "real" results.

Upwork, if you want to increase revenue from the sale of connects, wouldn't it be better to stop rewarding 10 connects for interviews (now that you've brought in this boosting nonsense, I expect that there will be a frenzy of fake projects so that people can keep their connects topped up)? And/or increase the number of connects required for higher-paying jobs? Or just increase the price of connects, period?

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
55 of 338

Christine A wrote:

I'd like to know the reasoning behind the decision that only 1 connect will be required to apply to all jobs now. Won't this increase spam bidding and overwhelm clients again? (Yes, it will.) So has Upwork decided that this is magically no longer a problem?

And the way that boosted proposals will appear to clients makes me think that I'll never use it. First of all, I imagine that there will be loads of ties, with 20-30 people all "boosting" by 3-6 connects (no more than that), within an hour of a job being posted. So if that's the case, the early bidders will get the top spots, and those usually aren't the most qualified people. If I don't spend all of my time hovering over the jobs feed - which I don't - then I won't stand a chance. And having a little lightening bolt next to your name with an explanation to the client that these people are just super, mega interested in being hired - meh, it sounds desperate, and will mostly be used by the desperate. I predict that the top spots will mostly be rubbish bids, and I think that clients will quickly learn to ignore them, in much the same way that I scroll past the ads at the top of Google searches in order to get to the "real" results.

They should come with a hazard warning.

Upwork, if you want to increase revenue from the sale of connects, wouldn't it be better to stop rewarding 10 connects for interviews (now that you've brought in this boosting nonsense, I expect that there will be a frenzy of fake projects so that people can keep their connects topped up)? And/or increase the number of connects required for higher-paying jobs? Or just increase the price of connects, period?

I am going to use the first two lines to tell the client to wait with reading my proposal until the lightening bolt has disappeared and then message me to discuss the project. With some luck you get 15 connects and a contract.

claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
56 of 338

Christine A wrote:

A client posts a job and bidders submit proposals ... each to his own. Calling it spam bidding is an overstatement.

It doesn't cost any connects to apply to jobs on LinkedIn... LinkedIn doesn't provide a way to verify profiles. And the majority of jobs posted there are like for employment (long term engagements) ... not a 5$ logo design.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
57 of 338

Claudia Z wrote:

Christine A wrote:

A client posts a job and bidders submit proposals ... each to his own. Calling it spam bidding is an overstatement.

It doesn't cost any connects to apply to jobs on LinkedIn... LinkedIn doesn't provide a way to verify profiles. And the majority of jobs posted there are like for employment (long term engagements) ... not a 5$ logo design.

Okaaaay, except that Upwork themselves said that spam bidding was a problem on their website; that's why they implemented paid connects in the first place (we used to get 60 free connects per month). I'm just interested in knowing how they came to the conclusion that this is no longer a problem. 

claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
58 of 338

Christine A wrote:

Okaaaay, except that Upwork themselves said that spam bidding was a problem on their website; that's why they implemented paid connects in the first place (we used to get 60 free connects per month). I'm just interested in knowing how they came to the conclusion that this is no longer a problem. 

Where did they say that? I'm not reading the forum on a regular basis, I'm not saying they didn't say it but that would be mind blowing, it's like shooting oneself in the foot.

I found this comment from Upwork "Experienced freelancers have noted that newer or inexperienced freelancers saturate or spam clients with irrelevant proposals, which creates unnecessary friction." ... this doesn't mean Upwork said ... it just means they listened to feedback.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
59 of 338

Claudia Z wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Where did they say that? I'm not reading the forum on a regular basis, I'm not saying they didn't say it but that would be mind blowing, it's like shooting oneself in the foot.

I found this comment from Upwork "Experienced freelancers have noted that newer or inexperienced freelancers saturate or spam clients with irrelevant proposals, which creates unnecessary friction." ... this doesn't mean Upwork said ... it just means they listened to feedback.

That's a standard rhetorical trick from Upwork, which demonstrably ignores feedback time and time again. On the other hand, their cockamamie schemes are often thickly coated witih "clients tell us," "we hear from freelancers," and the like—often to the great surprise of those of us expressing different opinions.

How is Upwork shooting itself in the foot when it acknowledges that some proposals are offered in bad faith by incompetent (for a particular job) applicants? Upwork shoots itself in the foot it when it creates and maintains conditions for spam to flourish; promotes hopeless proposals and bad matches between buyers and sellers; and seemingly comes up with new ways to do those things every other month or so.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
60 of 338

Claudia Z wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I guess you missed the very next sentence in that paragraph, which was, "Clients have also told us they are often overwhelmed with the number of proposals they receive, especially when many of the freelancers may not meet their project requirements. This can lead to a frustrating and unproductive experience for all parties."

You can also watch Hayden Brown explaining in this video about how clients "struggle" to go through all the bids to find the right talent:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Upcoming-Changes-to-Connects/td-p/580451

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS